For anyone who wants to know what a GSD should look like

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Theo400

For anyone who wants to know what a GSD should look like

Post by Theo400 »

Hi

I found this today and thought I should post it for anyone who wants to know what a true GSD should look like http://www.dogmagazine.net/old-style-gs ... ed-winner/

Even Victoria has said she is appalled on Twitter.
Last edited by Theo400 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JudyN

Re: For anyone who wants to know what a gas should look like

Post by JudyN »

Try as I might, I just can't understand how judges and breeders can think that the gait of modern show GSDs is desirable and healthy. I can understand the stressed dog, the poor handling - many people's desire to show their dog will result in them disregarding the dog's wellbeing. I can understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, that 'fashion' changes, and that a show GSD at speed might look spectacular. But I can't get my head around those wobbly joints that look like they're going to give way the whole time, and the uneven walking gait where the dog almost looks drunk.

There must be some record somewhere of how these dogs fare in later life, as well - are they almost crippled before they reach double figures? If so, that's pretty incontrovertible evidence that it's not in the dog's best interests.

I've tried to find arguments from the other side of the fence but all I've seen is claims that this dog did match the breed standard, and that she (and similar dogs) had won shows under many different judges. I've seen nothing that tries to explain how the dog can be structurally sound despite the wobbly legs.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Theo400

Re: For anyone who wants to know what a gas should look like

Post by Theo400 »

From experience none of my aunties dogs have ever reached 10 yrs her last show line was 8 whenvshe past and she suffered with hip dysplasia and literally could not walk she was falling on a daily basis and the breeder she got her from shows her dogs at crufts and the oldest dog she has ever owned reached 10yrs.
MPbandmom

Re: For anyone who wants to know what a GSD should look like

Post by MPbandmom »

The old dogs are a thing of beauty. The modern show breed just looks bad, crippled and deformed.

I don't get it either.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

When I see a well-conformed GSD, they are a thing of beauty. When I see what the breeders have done to them with the deformed hips, back and legs, it makes me sick and hurts my heart. Something must be done to stop the abuse of breeding them in this ugly and harmful way.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Lara575

Post by Lara575 »

It's so sad as a GSD lover to see what has happened to an amazing breed. I just can't get my head around it how can show people not see that this dog can't move right many show people on Facebook are defending the ***** that won and are saying it is rubbish that she is deformed to them she is a perfect example of a true GSD!!!! :shock: :x

How can they not see what we see!!!!!!!!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

That is what I find so incredibly sad. They just can't see it. How the devil can you not see that such dogs are deformed and unsound?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS