Labradors are number 1 in UK & USA but what's your number 1

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Erica

Re: Labradors are number 1 in UK & USA but what's your number 1

Post by Erica »

You do have a point there Nettle! Here we don't have many places where off leash dogs are allowed so that kind of thing doesn't come up as much. I wonder if there's a temperament difference between british labs and american labs? It's rare that we see an aggressive or fearful lab at all here. (By fearful I mean "might bite or snarl/snap to defend itself" rather than "uncertain about this situation.")

I did say "small attempts at" rather than "no" socialization. Like bringing the puppy to schedule school when you pick the kids up, and taking pup to the vet's office, and seeing the people who visit your house. I see several labs in my area whose owners don't know what socialization is, but whose dogs are happy to see people and dogs etc. just because of the accidental socialization they've done. That lack of effort would be disastrous for most breeds, like GSDs, chihuahuas, yorkies...nearly any other breed. This isn't to say that you shouldn't put effort into socializing a lab - you still should, and make sure you cover a wide range of people and places - but for those people, who never walk outside their neighborhood and who have short sniff meetings with the same dogs over and over, the lab is much better off than another sort of dog in the same situation. (I don't suggest never walking outside your neighborhood, either - exploring new places is great fun :) But some people just don't put much effort and care into things.)

Edit: or maybe people who get labs around here tend to be very social people themselves who end up doing plenty of socialization by lucky accident...and people who aren't and get labs don't walk them often so aren't seen as much...
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14