Gorgeous... but not for me

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Gorgeous... but not for me

Post by Shalista »

I LOVE mastiffs. All mastiffs (I don't discriminate) I think they're gorgeous. I also weigh 100 lbs and watching me walk one would be hysterical. I know we're supposed to go for temperament and tendencies over looks but if you just had to go for looks....
Does anyone have a dog breed or group of breeds that they think is just beautiful... but they could never have one?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Fundog

Re: Gorgeous... but not for me

Post by Fundog »

Afghans. Gorgeous. Not quite a match for us, though. :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
master2

Post by master2 »

Hi

I'm already owning one of my heart breeds the German Shepherd. But I love, love, love Irish wolfhound s I think there beautiful but way to big for me.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I'm not sure the size thing is that much of an issue - some smaller dogs have Sherman tank tendencies and I think I'd struggle with them more than a (well-trained) Irish wolfhound. I'd be tempted to get an Irish wolfhound just for the comedy value because I'm not much over 100lb and a whisker under 5' :lol:

My dream dog is a saluki. I had ruled the breed out in the past after reading about their 'independent' spirit and lack of recall, but having learnt so much about sighthound tendencies in general I wonder if they'd be a good match for me after all. You do need a laid-back attitude and a good sense of humour though.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

mmm as much as i like the chunky builds and gruff demeanor of mastiffs i do love me a good sighthound. they have such wonderful lines <3

I think all my favorite parts of Bax (cosmetically) is that touch of whippet in his breed. I love his long(proportionally :lol: ) narrow legs and deep, broad chest. I love that deer-like, narrow face to.

Doing some research on rat terrier and falling in love with the breed all over again though. I'm coming to the realization that i really do love rat terriers, i think Bax just has his own issues independent of the breed.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

So many breeds I admire but would not have.

Mastiffs of all kinds - I don't do drool and I don't want guardy dogs.
Spinones - drool again
Malinois - too high-drive and guardy
Shar Pei - health issues

Probably a lot more, but that'll cover for now.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
gwd

Post by gwd »

Nettle wrote: Spinones - drool again
I can't deal with the top line. I know the rear is supposed to be higher than the shoulders but that's not pleasing to me.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes: when you are used to a sighthound outline, the saggy-mattress view is a bit :shock: I bet they didn't start out that way.

But they do have lovely natures. I meet quite a few, and they are genial with other dogs and always smiling. Sadly, always dribbling too.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Huskies. I think they're the most stunning dogs, and I could watch videos of them 'talking' to each other or pulling sleds all day, but I know they wouldn't be a good match for me. I like my interactive, work-y, sometimes keen to please gundogs. I have so much love and respect for the husky breed, but recognise that a lot of people buy them as pets, because they're stunning, but don't know the breed and don't play to their strengths. I know enough to know they aren't a good match for me.

Springers are still my heart breed, but I'd also love a Weimaraner and/or Pointer, or Setter. One of each would make for a fun outing :D

I'd love a giant breed too. A Dane, or a Bernese mountain dog, but the shorter lifespan really holds me back.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Smooth collies. Gorgeous, and I like active dogs, but I despise barking, so they are NOT the dog for me!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Any of the big Spitz breeds (not the little fluffy types like Poms, German Spitz etc), the Huskies, Malamutes, Samoyeds even...

I adore them, they are beautiful and 'proper doggish' but I could not live with one.

Ditto collies, I adore the look, I think they are super smart looking and undoubtedly clever but I cannot cope with 'give me an instruction, now another, tell me what to do at all times'... nope nope nope!

Top of my 'in another lifetime' list is an Otterhound, oh so amazing but nope, not this lifetime. Maybe when I come back as a mad old bird in a rambling country pile with a bonkers old butler .. I'll have a pack of Otterhounds!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

I love border collies and Scottish terriers and westies but none of them would be right for me.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

ooo otterhounds are gorgeous!
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

I do love Newfoundlands but there's no way I could cope with all that fur.. Short haired breeds with minimal grooming requirements only for me :lol: I also really like Shar Peis but as Nettle says, health issues (and grooming), so not for me.
Fudgeandcoco

Post by Fudgeandcoco »

Dalmatians and Italian spinions. There both gorgeous but not for me dals need to much exercise and spinion drool.