Hello strangers!!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Horace's Mum

Hello strangers!!

Post by Horace's Mum »

I was talking to Em on fb just now about where Horus and I first started, and felt the urge to come and check in on you guys for the first time in quite a while! Sincere apologies for abandoning you all, life just kind of took off and left little time for forums.

It's lovely to see so many old "faces" still here, and by the sounds of things some of you have come a long way in the last few years!

Horus is doing just fine, now 10 yrs old, something of an internet sensation a couple of years ago and soon to be on the BBC too. He has been struggling the last few years with arthritis, hip and back problems, to the point where I wasn't sure I was comfortable in keeping him, but hydro has turned that on it's head and now he acts like a 5 yr old again! Nearly lost a leg to necrotising fasciitis late last year but a heck of a lot of careful nursing, manuka honey and neem oil turned it round with just a scar down his leg to show for it.

And for those who remember my baby ponies, they are growing well, still clicker training and one has started riding with clicker reinforcement and taken it completely in her stride. The other is still growing up and exploring the world, doing more "fun" stuff with the clicker because that's what he likes, and that's fine by me. If there's anything the white boy has taught me it's to listen to my animals and hear them when they speak - and what an amazing relationship they take part in when you do.

I'll try and visit much more often, I have missed the feel of this place too much, although the world is improving it is so relaxing to come somewhere people don't think you're a fluffy bunny for using food,clickers, and generally seeing the bright side of life. Nice to see you all, might take me a while to catch up!!
Erica

Re: Hello strangers!!

Post by Erica »

Good to hear from you! Congrats to Horus for his soon-to-be TV stardom :) I'm glad he's feeling better...sounds like he has had some scary times.

Are the ponies still as fluffy as they were when you got them?
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

My goodness they are fluffier I think!! Will try and remember how to get into photobucket and update their thread for you. They are truly beautiful people now though, I am amazed every day that they are mine.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It's lovely to see you again, HM! You were an inspiration to me when I first joined and was despairing over Jasper :D I'm glad to hear Horus and the ponies are doing well. Are we allowed to know when he's going to be on telly?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

How lovely to hear from you! And what wise words about listening to what the animals are telling us. IME male animals take longer to mature, so boy pony might feel like being a riding pony in a couple of years - or he may not - he is so lucky that you go at his pace and on his own journey (eeek doesn't that sound hippy!).

It is awesome that you have overcome necrotising f. with your knowledge of natural remedies.

Thanks for dropping by :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Cheers guys - it was actually you Nettle that inspired me to come back, I was wondering if you were still around because I was thinking back to how much you and Em helped me survive the first few months when things where at their worst. Glad you're still here, thought you'd like the honey and neem treatment!
Judy I remember Jasper very well, how's he doing?
Our documentary is on BBC2 on the 4th and 11th of February, 8pm. We should be in the second one, but I think it might be a pretty interesting programme so watch them both. We are only on very briefly, but the experience of filming with such incredible professionals was amazing!! Horus was treated as number 1, they followed every little instruction to beyond the letter, it helped us enjoy it so much because I wasn't worrying about them inadvertently upsetting him.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Oh, so wonderful to hear from you! Congratulations on getting on television, and helping Horace with his pain, and especially with overcoming his leg infection through herbal remedies. That's huge. I wish there was a hydrotherapy center for dogs near me, for Annie. All we have is a river that we have to hike 1.5 miles to get to. :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Horace's Mum wrote:Judy I remember Jasper very well, how's he doing?
He's doing great, thanks! Still has his moments but they're very rare and the rest of the time he's a very happy, well behaved lad.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Great to hear from you HM! :D

Glad that Horus has you to help him get through his rough times. I don't suppose the TV special will be airing in the US? You will definitely have to post updated pictures of the ponies.

Yours was the first advice that started to seep in and make sense and put things all in perspective. I often think of you and wonder how you are doing.

The dogs have their moments, but things are much better than they used to be and when the moments occur, I usually know where OH or I messed up.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Hi! Glad Sky and Sirius are doing well. I don't know if there are plans to broadcast in the US unless you can get BBC somehow? I need to find a way to record it and save it - I hate these newfangled TV recorder things that don't actually let you put it on a disc, I don't have my own tv but fiance has a video recorder -I may just resort to using that! If I can then I might be able to edit out our bit to share but I'm not sure how I could share a 2hr programme with you :-(

Meant to say to Nettle, Gossip is very much taking his own time and doing his own journey - he is absolutely a hippy pony :-D That's just fine by me, and if it takes another 10 yrs then that's what it takes, if he never chooses to be ridden then that is also fine. There is still some debate about whether he will drive or not - Oya certainly will judging from her work attitude and love of being out the front longreining - but he just likes to be with you. If he does drive then rather than the pair that was planned for I think they would make an incredible tandem with Goss as wheeler, being the powerhouse but having Oya to follow and Oya out there doing her thing in the front.
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Fundog wrote:Oh, so wonderful to hear from you! Congratulations on getting on television, and helping Horace with his pain, and especially with overcoming his leg infection through herbal remedies. That's huge. I wish there was a hydrotherapy center for dogs near me, for Annie. All we have is a river that we have to hike 1.5 miles to get to. :lol:
Thanks Fundog! I was so glad when this pool opened - the next nearest is just too far to go on a regular basis. We have loads of rivers (currently all flooded!) but it is the heat that makes so much difference. I hope that one day there will be a hydro pool everywhere. You could try making your own - we are trying to design one for H so he can swim a little each day statically and have a proper swim once a week or fortnight. I'd like to buy one of those garden jacuzzis for him which would be perfect but don't have the space. They're not cheap, but neither is hydro, and I would use it to offset some of the sessions there so it would pay for itself soon enough. Plus I can use it too!!!
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Ello.. see! I told you you'd been missed around here! :)
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Welcome back, Horace's mum!

It was randomly spotting Emmabeth on a mutual friends Facebook post that bought me back too... we really are in the age of social networking!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Headsup for Horus on BBC2 tonight :D I didn't watch the first part, and am out in the early evening but I'll watch it either when I get home or tomorrow night.
Theo400

Post by Theo400 »

Are we talking about the cats vs dog show on tonight?

I watched the first one I thinks the dogs got robbed by the cats winning last weeks show.