Fox Poo!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Bees

Fox Poo!

Post by Bees »

Please can I have your tried and tested tips to get the smell of fox poo off my dog? :D

I have a dog who hates to get his feet wet, is loathe to walk through the mud, needs coaxing on to wet grass to go to the toilet, won't walk through puddles, but throws himself into huge piles of sopping wet fox poo. He gets it all in his long bits of fur, around his ears and other harder places to clean and including on the new light up collar I just bought him (which may be broken after I cleaned it...).

The first day he did it at one park I tried to just bath him and the smell didn't come out. So I tried to wash him with vinegar after that and spray on dog shampoo after that. He was a bit shivery so I stopped, got him properly dry and warm. The next day I took him to a different park and watched him like a hawk. But someone stopped to talk to me and I took my eyes of him for a second and he was rolling in it! This time I tried ketchup and then washed him. It sort of worked. I'm not convinced.

I think parks might be off limits for a while because I can't keep bathing him every day. I wouldn't mind if it was mud and once it was dry I'd bush it out. But he's caked in the stuff and it smells BAD! :mrgreen:

Beach for off lead walks for a while (not that he minds). But any advice for when he rolls in it again would be appreciated.

Oh, he's called Fox by the way. Very apt. :D
Fundog

Re: Fox Poo!

Post by Fundog »

I have been lucky to never encounter fox poo, but we did have an encounter with a live skunk once. :lol: Here is my de-skunking recipe:

1 two liter bottle of club soda
24 ounces of tomato sauce (not juice)
1 cup of baking soda

On a wet dog, pour on the tomato sauce, and work it well into the coat. Then the baking soda, and the club soda. Work it all in well, let sit 3-4 minutes, if your dog can tolerate it that long. Five minutes is even better. Then rinse well and follow up with nice smelling dog shampoo.

This worked pretty well for skunk. Fox dung might have a different ph, though. Good luck!
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Nettle

Re: Fox Poo!

Post by Nettle »

I use tomato sauce too. Rub into the soiled areas (I am a wuss and wear rubber gloves!) then shampoo with a very mild soap shampoo, then rinse well. Works on the collar as well.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS