Karen Overall on Dominance & Bully Breeds

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

katej215

Karen Overall on Dominance & Bully Breeds

Post by katej215 »

I've just discovered Dr Karen Overall , not someone I had heard of until recently ....plus interesting you tube clip I thought I'd share ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKNNbQjTjco
Nettle

Re: Karen Overall on Dominance & Bully Breeds

Post by Nettle »

Thank you :) that's a two-pots-of-coffee discussion there and really underlines the policy of "believe nothing until you have fully investigated it". Much that is thoroughly sound sense interspersed with a few bits that would stand challenge.

Who else noticed the trainer working with the two pits was wearing dark glasses? That's a big no-no when working with dogs. Small thing to us, big thing to dogs.

That's a really valuable short video and well worth watching. But watch it critically :wink:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Karen is one of the good guys, she is an authoritative voice against shock collars and other harsh training methods. She also wrote one of "the" books that actual vet behaviorists use. vet behaviorist is a earned title for vets in the usa. it requires a bunch of additional work above and beyond what it takes to "just" be a vet. I don't know if the UK vet use it.

Even still I don't disagree with Nettle about applying critical thinking...should be done always.

here is a paper she wrote about shock collars.

http://www.k9behavioralgenetics.net/res ... cation.pdf
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Thanks for the link, Jacksdad - takes a lot to make my jaw drop these days but the training mentioned early in the paper did just that. A valuable work.

Since katej first put up her link, I have watched a number of Karen Overall's youtubes, and they are indeed very well worth the time. Thanks Kate! :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS