Doggy intercepts

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

delladooo

Doggy intercepts

Post by delladooo »

I was having a reflect on Laufey today as I was really impressed with him but I recognised a repeat behaviour of other dogs towards us and was wondering what the real interpretation of of the behaviour is and how common. I suspect the "traditional" answer would involve the dreaded d word.

I'll use today as my example to explain. I'm stood about the throw Laufey's ball, he is in front of me looking and a schnauzer is off to the left sniffing or some such. I throw the ball, Laufey goes after it, schnauzer goes after him. Schanuzer purposefully puts himself between Laufey and I and gets into his return line forcing him to swerve out then schanuzer gives chase. This seems like a game, and today it ended when Laufey got back to me and the schnauzer went after its owners.

However, often it doesn't end there and the other dog repeatedly gets between us and essentially has Laufey running a perimeter trying to get back which seems to make him slightly uncomfortable. When this happens I do try and get to him too but not always easy when he's moving side to side - he is also reluctant to give up his ball in these situations in case the dog gets it which I think adds to his frustration because bringing the ball back means giving it up to throw again, even though I don't make him give it up if he doesn't want to with other dogs.

Really, I'm just being nosy about dogs again and wondering if anyone has a good explanation. I could understand their behaviour if I were their owner and they were "protecting" me from him but these dogs have no relationship with me so my guesses would be either trying to play and he's not interested or they're "bullying" him and purposefully making him uncomfortable. Any ideas?
Nettle

Re: Doggy intercepts

Post by Nettle »

Bullying. Don't let it happen.

Good for you for noticing what is going on. You are a great owner.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
delladooo

Re: Doggy intercepts

Post by delladooo »

:oops: I don't think I'd go quite so far as great but I try. Thanks for the explanation though :) I did have a gut feeling it wasn't good but no solid reason why.

He is definitely prone to these things though as dogs also like to hump him and/or lick his bits. Whilst I know it's down to the age he was neutered I do my best to protect him, even when he makes it difficult!