Jasper's Norfolk holiday

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Jasper's Norfolk holiday

Post by JudyN »

That's just a taster - I have lots more photos on my camera :wink:

We tried a DAP collar for the journey up to Norfolk, as Jasper isn't keen in the car. It really seemed to help on the way up - there was some heavy panting at times but that was all. Today's trip back wasn't so good - he got upset when we went over a cattle grid, and wasn't happy for the rest of the trip home, ending up shaking after OH hooted at someone who pulled out in front of us. OH felt guilty about that, but there were a high proportion of idiots on the road today and he'd had enough by then!

I'm going to ask the vet about options for car journeys when I take Jasper for his booster. Unfortunately I'm really not sure there's anything that will zonk him out for the trip without having unwanted side effects, given the fragile nature of his brain :?

Our cottage was tiny, we had to rearrange the furniture to fit in...

A couple of highlights:

1) We went to a nature reserve where a stoat appeared on the path in front of us and danced back and forth, disappearing off one side of the path, appearing again, dancing across the path again just feet away... I'm not sure who was more enthralled, Jasper or me :lol:

2) We were wandering down a path with long grass to either side, when a hare appeared, running towards us. OH's first thought was 'that's a big rabbit', mine was 'It's too big for a rabbit, and it's reddy-brown, but it's all the wrong shape for a deer...' You can imagine what Jasper's first thought was - luckily OH managed to grab him just in time :lol: The hare got to about 12 foot from us before it noticed us, and its face was a picture - 'Oh, BLEEP.... time to go the other way!' We tried to carry on down the path, but Jasper was so pumped up it made much more sense to turn around and head for the nearest pub beer garden :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Dibbythedog

Re: Jasper's Norfolk holiday

Post by Dibbythedog »

Glad you all had a good time. Lovely pics !
Norfolk is beautiful but so is Dorset too. :)

I was thinking about renting a dog friendly cottage in September so Oh and I can go away together with the dog.
I would have to findn one that hada fully fenced garden , Libby is so tiny she can get out of the smallest gaps !
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Where are you thinking of going, DtD? This is only the second cottage we've found that has a really secure garden (and the first one had Astroturf, which Jasper refused to poo on :lol: ). I just accept there's a good chance that we will have to keep him on lead in the garden whenever he goes out there.

Jasper's stress levels really weren't helped by the thunderstorms last night. The poor lad, I didn't know how I could help him :( He's been 'chilling' all day - didn't ask for a walk till going on 4pm, when we took him for a potter in the park - no cars involved :lol:

OK, photos...

Another dead dog impression...

Plus a video of ball chasing - best fun ever! Except when you get ambushed by a couple of greyhounds :wink:

https://youtu.be/0bjmnV0GMAk
Erica

Post by Erica »

That looks lovely! :) I hope you don't get any more thunderstorms.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

:) Looks like a great stretch of beach to have a run. I'd like to take Max for a nice run on the sand at the beach but I'm not yet 100% confident that he wouldn't bolt :?: :( . One day.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Sounds like you had a great time and you've got excellemt pictures. I love the video too, maybe one day I'll be brave enough to do that with Laufey again when there's dogs that close.
Sorry to hear about Jasper in the thunderstorm, we've had two here in the space of three days and I love them. Thankfully Laufey didn't seem to ,ind after his initial 'there's something making a noise outside so I'm going to tell you whether you can already hear it or not'
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Awesome pics and video... They boy is fast!
But those are strange (unfamiliar) people and dogs on the beach, right? How come no muzzle, doesn't he usually wear one?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Ari_RR wrote:But those are strange (unfamiliar) people and dogs on the beach, right? How come no muzzle, doesn't he usually wear one?
He's practically 100% safe with other people - unless they do stupid things like try to pull him away from a cow poo by the collar, which one idiot did a while back :roll: The only things likely to cause a problem is if he steals food (or catches a rabbit) and someone tries to get it back, if a child ran up to him and threw their arms round him, if a big burly man tried to make a fuss of him and razz him up (you know the sort, I'm sure) or if a young unneutered male bounced on him. We also know his 'safe' distance and can steer him away or recall him from any potential trigger. Oh, and if he should be taunted by a cat and redirect on to me. Nowadays, even the young unneutered male is just likely to get sworn at and a paw plonked on their back. To a certain extent, his muzzle is like a safety belt in a car - you really don't expect to need it, but you might as well wear it just in case :wink:

Generally I keep it on him because I want him to think of it as just a normal part of walks, like me putting my shoes on, but he loves the ball chucker so much and we can't do it locally as there's nowhere quiet enough so it's his holiday treat :wink:

I wasn't worried about the greyhounds chasing him - any other breed may have got told off, but sighthounds are all friends in his eyes :D
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Looks like everyone was having a lovely time. :D
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Gorgeous pics and video :-)

But was amazed at your hubby on those razor shells! What the what! Does he have specially reinforced feet that he pops on just for beach walking :shock:
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

This is the standard beach from round here, you can see why I'm blown away with the Norfolk ones! https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=56254AA3

Wufwuf, you must have meaner razor shells round your way - I walked on them with no problems too.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I have just read in a magazine a suggestion that car-sensitive dogs are given a bean bag to lie on as it cushions the vibrations. Seems a really good idea. Worth a try for Jas?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

That's a thought, thanks Nettle :D I've a feeling it's more the sound than vibrations and wondered about earplugs, but it could well be the combination.

Though he might have limited headspace or even have trouble getting onto it... I shall have to consider the logistics. Here's a possibility: http://www.greatbeanbags.com/oval-dog-b ... wgods-8DvA
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Make sure the fabric is something that doesn't transmit heat or static. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Yes, we've had a few issues with synthetic blankies suddenly turning his bed into a bum-biting scary thing :roll: