Dog DNA tests

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

rnor1120

Dog DNA tests

Post by rnor1120 »

Just for curiosity's sake, I submitted a DNA test for both Cricket and Chance through the Wisdom Panel. I adopted both dogs as adults from rescues, so no clue about their actual breeds and mixes. I've always called both pit bulls. I have a vet school buddy that submited a test for his 35 lbs (16 kg) brown island dog (if you google St. Kitts island dog, you'll get a good idea of what the brown dogs with black muzzles look like) and the result said he was a Yorkie/Bloodhound mix... The test was for fun, and I was pretty much prepared to take results with a grain of salt.

Anyways, the results:

Cricket was pretty much a 50/50 American Staffordshire and Miniature Bull Terrier mix. Believable. I've always called her a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, but I think the Mini Bull Terrier crossed with AmStaff gives her the right size and appearance. The test accurately estimated her adult weight.

Chance was a mixed bag. He was mostly American Staffordshire Terrier, Bull Terrier, and Boston Terrier but also had small amounts of English Cocker Spaniel and Weimaraner (there are no Bull Terriers, Bostons, Cockers, or Weimies on St. Kitts...). The test incorrectly underestimated his weight by about 10 lbs. I actually read after the fact that there was a disclaimer that if your dog was imported from anywhere other than the USA, Canada, the UK, or Germany that your results may be inaccurate. It was fun to do anyway. Maybe the Bull Terrier is why his nose is longer than the average pit bull?? Maybe the Weimaraner is why he's so anxious when I have to board him?? Maybe his trademark ears come from the Boston Terrier??

Have any of you ever done a doggie DNA test?
gwd

Re: Dog DNA tests

Post by gwd »

rnor1120 wrote: Have any of you ever done a doggie DNA test?
My neighbor did it. Like you, It was just for fun........ she as a 8 lb obviously chi mix. The DNA test showed Irish wolfhound/collie/golden retriever. :lol:
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

This sounds very amusing :) I'm kind of tempted to send samples from my two and see what they say seeing as I know what they both are :lol:

Completely off topic question but, what does the rest of Cricket's collar say?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

The DNA tests to determine breed mix are pretty much rubbish. They are only computer programmes, so are limited to what has been programmed in, and if the programme can't make a match it just goes on to the next nearest. For instance, in UK there are breeds we just don't have which are popular in USA (AFAIK all the programmes are American - so really I should call them programs :lol: ) but appear in the results for UK dogs e.g. American Rat Terrier, Catahoula Leopard dog etc.

If I ever get the money to waste, I'll get some of mine done. I know exactly what is in them, and it would be definitive to see what kind of a breed match the tests would make.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
rnor1120

Post by rnor1120 »

delladooo wrote:Completely off topic question but, what does the rest of Cricket's collar say?
"My Mom is a Ross Vet." The rescue group that I adopted Chance through on St Kitts sells them as fundraisers. Chance has a black one, but he's got so much skin on his neck that his ugly neck rolls bunch around it so I mostly use a thick "hog dog" collar on him.
gwd wrote:
rnor1120 wrote: The DNA test showed Irish wolfhound/collie/golden retriever. :lol:
:lol:
Nettle wrote:If I ever get the money to waste, I'll get some of mine done. I know exactly what is in them, and it would be definitive to see what kind of a breed match the tests would make.
They were on sale (and I have poor impulse control - hence why I have two dogs :lol: )
lucyandbella

Post by lucyandbella »

I was given the tests as a gift.

Bella is from an area in California where there are a lot of feral or country mixed breed dogs who look like her. The mother dog was feral and I never saw her. The test called her a Labrador, chow chow ,mixed breed unknown, crossed with a Rottweiler, vizsla, mixed breed unknown. So some of it they couldn't identify. At the time they used to tell you breeds they also saw to some level which was a bunch of little terriers like the Norwich terrier, cattle dog, and catahoula. At least it figured out she was quite mixed :lol: .

Here is Bella:

Lucy who is 38 pounds and has herding instinct came back as a mixed breed unknown with St. Bernard at the great grandparent level. :roll: I complained to the company since the test is suppose to figure out the mixed breed unknown and they called me and explained the results saying they couldn't match her to anything but that she is highly homozygous (evident of purebred (not likely) or inbred lines) . Looking they see she has some markers of the koolie which would be pretty impossible to find in a dog out here. So for Lucy I'm not sure they have the breeds she has. I have been told she looks like an English shepherd. But who knows what she is.
Lucy: