An interesting read regarding ep. 8

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

dlt

An interesting read regarding ep. 8

Post by dlt »

http://www.americanhumane.org/site/Page ... me=pa_film

Very interesting read...please read the whole page as it leads you into this...

The Elephant Challenge

The dogs had acclimation time with the elephant prior to the challenge. The elephant used for this scene was an older elephant that moved gently and slowly, and many of the scenes indicating the elephant moving at a faster speed were filmed separately, after the dogs had left the location, and were edited into the final program. All elephant trumpeting sounds were also edited into the final program, as the elephant never vocalized during the taping. None of the dogs were aggressive in any manner, all had received obedience training and, at all times, the dogs had the full ability to “breakâ€
drmeg

Post by drmeg »

And I found the next paragraph interesting:

An Injured Dog

American Humane received many concerns regarding the limping dog. This dog did not display any signs of distress, nor did it limp following the challenge. It is our understanding from the show veterinarian that, after American Humane left the set and the contestants were taking their break before the taping of the judging segment, the owner, J.D., was playing Frisbee with his dog, Galaxy. During that play session, the dog came up lame. The dog was seen in the edited show limping without explanation, giving the impression that the limp was perhaps due to the stunt challenge. Again, it is editing that lends itself to the difference between audience perception and reality, as well as the desire of the producers to heighten the drama of the show. Audiences will find further veterinary explanation in future episodes.

See, no one here is sharing the same worries that I have. Anytime I see a nine year old medium to large breed dog limping, I start thinking. And I don't like those thoughts.

Edited to add that after ruminating a while maybe I'm not so worried. I would bet they did pre-production physical exams and possibly even x-rays to make sure everyone was okay to compete . . . surely they would have detected it if something ominous was in the works.
lablver2

Post by lablver2 »

I am not a vet but as a owner of a lab I have always been told once the dogs are 7+ they should not be jumping around as much. I don't know JD and I know things are edited but through the stuff I have seen Galaxy jumps pretty high for that frisbee. Again she's part border collie.

I believe the old age and the jumping after the frisbee resulted in injury but I do not know and just hope she's not seriously hurt. I hope it's just reality TV bringing up the drama.

Thanks for posting the link. My concerns regarding episode 8 aren't as high as I had them. Just shows how much of reality TV is real
Belgian: 6 year old English Chocolate Labrador Retriever.
"The more boys I meet, the more I love my dog"-Carrie Underwood
Gershep1

Post by Gershep1 »

American Humane received many concerns regarding the limping dog. This dog did not display any signs of distress, nor did it limp following the challenge. It is our understanding from the show veterinarian that, after American Humane left the set and the contestants were taking their break before the taping of the judging segment, the owner, J.D., was playing Frisbee with his dog, Galaxy. During that play session, the dog came up lame. The dog was seen in the edited show limping without explanation, giving the impression that the limp was perhaps due to the stunt challenge. Again, it is editing that lends itself to the difference between audience perception and reality, as well as the desire of the producers to heighten the drama of the show. Audiences will find further veterinary explanation in future episodes
Galaxy clearly trotted away unhurt from the zip line stunt. A few people, myself included, reported that Galaxy was injured later playing. But does anyone on dogster or CBS actually read the posts about this? Nooooo.
griffin

Post by griffin »

and the contestants were taking their break before the taping of the judging segment, the owner, J.D., was playing Frisbee with his dog, Galaxy. During that play session, the dog came up lame.
So, did the producers edit in Galaxy going up the steep ramp from an earlier practice run, or did JD force his injured dog to go up the ramp?

Either is unacceptable... If the later and the judges sw Galaxy limping before the judging segment, he should have been the one voted out.
drmeg

Post by drmeg »

Taping the judging segment, the part inside the arena. This was after the competition segment with the ramps and zipline.
Tenzin

Let's learn our lesson

Post by Tenzin »

Here's a suggestion: after an episode of G.A.D., if anyone has concerns about the challenges or the judging, he/she can first check out the Humane Society website to see whether the concerns are answered there. If not, post polite questions to Victoria about it.

Based on all we now know about how Episode 8 was filmed, we should stop assuming that the producers and owners are negligent about the dogs' needs and safety and give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.
What we can accuse them of is heavy editing to enhance dramatic effect -- personally I don't like this kind of manipulation, but I guess it sells advertising time! :idea:
lablver2

Post by lablver2 »

Galaxy clearly trotted away unhurt from the zip line stunt. A few people, myself included, reported that Galaxy was injured later playing. But does anyone on dogster or CBS actually read the posts about this? Nooooo.

I am on dogster and I have contributed a ton over there about what actually happens. So that is not a fair statement. Sometimes people read it and sometimes they don't. Everything is based on if they do read it.
Gershep1

Post by Gershep1 »

lablver2 wrote:

I am on dogster and I have contributed a ton over there about what actually happens. So that is not a fair statement. Sometimes people read it and sometimes they don't. Everything is based on if they do read it.
Then you are one of the people I said report on what actually happens. Yes, it is a fair statement because apparently almost nobody reads your posts either. Yep, everything is based on if they read it. Unfortunately, most seem to post without reading.
lablver2

Post by lablver2 »

I agreee with that however there has been a few handfuls of people who have listened and read. One is now active on this forum.
Tenzin

Post by Tenzin »

I guess people spouting off without bothering to first educate themselves on what's gone before isn't limited to politics! :lol:
lablver2

Post by lablver2 »

LOL that's right Tenzin. It happens in both doggy and human poilitics. I'm thinking about getting a CBS account and writing PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING ANYTHING!!! then put in the info I found out on here and just add to it. Someone needs to do it.

Even PETA is making a big deal over this but then again it's PETA ( I do not like them)
drmeg

Post by drmeg »

lablver2 wrote:I'm thinking about getting a CBS account and writing PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING ANYTHING!!! then put in the info I found out on here and just add to it. Someone needs to do it.
Been there, done that. Only minimal impact, since there's much quicker thread turnover on the frontpage. Feel free to try again though, the more the merrier.
lablver2

Post by lablver2 »

Yea I will later on. I think after the episode airs tonight I will. I just hate seeing the wrong people being bashed like this and they don't deserve it