pooches w/ people names

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Mollysmom

pooches w/ people names

Post by Mollysmom »

Ok, so I had a conversation with one of my dog park people the other day about how awkward it is when you give your dog a beautiful name, only to find out that someone within your circle of acquaintance's has that name, or named their child, or their late Nana was named... etc. etc.

Now I thought I was being terribly clever when I named my girl Molly. (She was called Pika by the lady who owned for all of 2 weeks (we got her at 10wks)

Now, when we first got her, we lived with my MIL, FIL, SIL and 6mo old niece. We had 5 cats who all had "cat" names (Yoda, Dude, Nutmeg, Sprite, and Gizmo) and two existing dogs who both had "people" names (Cleo and Sadie)

Now, Cleo was easy, her nickname was Tuggy or Tugboat (16year old shepard mix, she was the matriarch of the house, and was the stereotypical stinky old dame) Sadie however was also the name of our "nice neighbors" wife. (awkward!)

Enter Molly, no worries at first, our only trouble was calling her Rylie on accident (the 6mo old babies name) when she was getting into crap. (Rylie STILL gets called Molly on occasion :? )

Now, Molly's grown up, 4 years old, we've been living at our current house (hubby and I moved) for about a year and a half... and I found out while calling Molly in from terrorizing squirrels... that The "cranky evil neighbors**" granddaughter's name is Molly...

On a side note, my kid brother (well, 22 and a completed tour of Iraq... he's still a kid to me) got in a fight about 4 years back when his best friend heard that Derek (my bro) named his Female choc lab/red nose APBT Jasmine (or Jazz).... turns out best friend's daughter is named Jasmine.... whooopsie!

SOOOO.... Any one else have a story about their dog with a "people" name?
I'd love to hear them!
(also if anyone has a decidedly "dog" name for their pet I'd like to hear about your Spot's, Cocoa's, Mocha's, Duke's and such)
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
clairefoster

Post by clairefoster »

Chris and I were devestated after we had told some of our closest friends that we intended to call our baby Ellie if it was a girl (I was about 7 months pregnant). Then a few weeks later they rang us to tell us they had just found a breeder with a puppy they wanted and had named her Ellie. Obviously with just a few weeks left of pregnancy my hormones were raging and I couldn't face talking to them as I was just too upset. We were faced with a really tough decision as we didn't want our baby to have the same name as our friends dog but at the same time Ellie was one of the very few names we had agreed on and had both fallen in love with it. In the end, we decided to stick with Ellie and just decided we would have to deal with it. Our friends remain our freinds and like most children and dogs, it's not very often that either of them get called by their real name (Ellie-bob, bobster, Ell bell, etc etc!!!)

Can't wait to hear other peoples stories!!
Marley

Post by Marley »

Ummm....I have to join in. I have a cat named Bob and a dog named Marley.

The cat was first and I got into a huge discussion with my friend who was giving me the kitten. She insisted he had to have a "cat" name :?:

Once I had Bob I wanted a nice name to go with it and Marley was the most relevant name.
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

a friend of mine has a kitten named Bob... it's a girl kitten too. :?
HD

Post by HD »

Haha Bob and Marley.....I love it!!

My dogs name is Flynn, it's the name his previous owners gave him, and I really liked that name so I kept it on (mind you, choosing a good name is the only decent thing they did for him). Fortunately I don't know anyone called Flynn!

I used to know someone with two dogs called Harry and Sally which was cool!
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

I had a blue heeler named Jake growing up... he was a great dog. He was fetch CRAZY... we actually had to force friends to stop playing fetch with him as he had a big sore on his chin from scooping things up.

I always thought it would be lovely to name my dogs Isolde and Tristan... :oops: I really am a nerd I know....
griffin

Post by griffin »

Our first dog was a pure bread Keeshhound. My new wife had gotten him for me our first year of marriage, figured I needed a friend while she worked (I had been laid off)...

His name? Sir Marshall William (and our last name). Marshall is my middle name, a family name from my father's side of the family. William was my late FIL's middle name. Since Marshall was our "first child" it fit... :P

Marshall had to get rehomed six years later. For some reason, we still do not know, he turned on my wife, would try to attck her, when she got pregnant with our son, the last child. Now we think Marshall might have picked up on something being wrong with our son, turns out, he has Autism... But Marshall went to a good home, lots of kids and lived out his life, happy...

Our next dog, Jenna, was named after the dog Jenna in a children's movie- Balto, our kids named her that... She is now 17 and living with our oldest daughter & her husband...

Eddie, my current pup was named after Eddie Mongomery, a country singer my wife & daughter like, a lot....
Bilclarie

Post by Bilclarie »

I think I'm safe with my choices not much call for the names I used

Merlin
Raven
Greta
Tasha
Ivy

Although one of my last litter I called Lola a few weeks later my niece had a baby girl yes you guessed she called it Lola, but I still think my Lola is better looking than her's :lol:
Bilclarie Dobermann's
If it's not a Dobermann it's just a dog
www.bilclarie.com
[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p244/bilclarie/untitled.jpg[/img]
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

Raven
Greta
Tasha
I have a cousin Raven (14y/o girl) and my friend Katrina named her little boy Raven.

I worked with 3 Greta's at Walmart

and my brother has a girl friend named Tasha.

:) not so safe anymore :P
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

I just got to thinking... how horrible a person would I be to name a dog for my niece?

I think that Riley is a great name for a dog, however Rylie is my 3 y/o niece's name
As it is, my dog won't go near the kid because the girl doesn't listen and get's Molly "in trouble" (Rylie will try to ride Molly like a horse, or pull her tail or take things from her regardless of what her mom or any of us say, so rather than hit the girls mother for being a moron we put Molly in the house and tell Rylie that she's "in trouble")
Molly has figured out that the kid is the harbinger of doom and avoids her like a plague.

(I should do it out of spite, I really have no problem being Mean Aunt Kris)
lablver2

Post by lablver2 »

This isn't a people thing with my dog's name. I named my english chocolate labrador retriever Belgian after 2 things. Belgian chocolate as well as Belgian waffles. I wanted a unique name but a chocolate themed name as well. Hence the name Belgian.

of course by many people no matter how many times I tell them that the dog's name is Belgian they insist on calling him Belgium after the country. So no my dog was not named after the country. He was named after the waffles and chocolate.

Now I have always said if I ever got my yellow lab I would name her waffles so I would have both Belgian and Waffles.
Belgian: 6 year old English Chocolate Labrador Retriever.
"The more boys I meet, the more I love my dog"-Carrie Underwood
Chloe&Atlas'smom

Post by Chloe&Atlas'smom »

I named my cat Molly shes 7 and quite the shadow, our other cat a siamese mix, his name is Booger, it fits really,
Now my dogs, Chloe because I wanted a girl when I was pregnant with Jack and wanted to name her Chloe. Atlas because we all love mythology and his head is huge, so he is kinda holding alot of weight on his shoulders.
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

lablver2 wrote:This isn't a people thing with my dog's name. I named my english chocolate labrador retriever Belgian after 2 things. Belgian chocolate as well as Belgian waffles. I wanted a unique name but a chocolate themed name as well. Hence the name Belgian.

of course by many people no matter how many times I tell them that the dog's name is Belgian they insist on calling him Belgium after the country. So no my dog was not named after the country. He was named after the waffles and chocolate.

Now I have always said if I ever got my yellow lab I would name her waffles so I would have both Belgian and Waffles.
the first thing I thought of when I saw the picture of your bebe and read his name was "Oh! Beer!" New Belgium Brewing Co. Ft Collins, CO USA :roll:

better than the country right?
Oh I know, I'm a lush...
:oops:
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

None of my pets were named for any people, and nor have any friends or family been named or nicknamed the same name as any of my pets.

Chloe...who was originally named Maggie
Apollo...I have met a dobe and std poodle named Apollo
Khan...I have only seen 1 online person with Khan for a dog's name.

Cats:
Testy..short for testicles...he had a pretty big set before being snipped.
AJ....He always had that name from the rescue. We just had to think of what A and J stood for. We finally settled on Alistair Jebediah.

We do give our foster kittens names for the time they are in our home. We usually have them 2-3 weeks. We get them when they are weaned but still too little to be spuetered. We keep them until they are 2 lbs. Name choice usually follows a theme.
there was Neil Geddy and Alex
Rose, Donna, Martha
Owen, Tosh, Gwen
Talia, Delin, NaToth, Ivanava
Rogue, Shadow Cat, Jean Gray, Gambit

Khan has definitely had his favorites of the fosters: Owen who was the first set we allowed Khan to meet. He and Owen really formed a good bond. They played with each other quite well. He also now has show a lot of interest in Rogue who is the runt of the litter we currently have.

Chloe is the surogate mother of all of them....Apollo does not get to play with the kittens as he is just too excitable around them.
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

Testy..short for testicles...he had a pretty big set before being snipped.
HAHAHA!

Wade's (hubby's) parents had a cat with that story!
When they first got him as a little kitten they thought he was a girl, they called him Lisa (after their daughter, Wade's older sister) well, a couple weeks go by and they take him to the vet to get checked out, the whole time they're calling him Lisa... well vet gives them a funny look and says "this cat is a boy"
to which Wade's dad responds "it's a dude?"
vet says "yes, it's a dude" laughing the whole time...

so they ended up changing the cat's name to Duder. They still have him, he's the coolest white and grey dom. shorthair. He's a total ladies man (loves the boob snuggling)