Dobermann Puppy

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

dave112

Dobermann Puppy

Post by dave112 »

Hi all,
Not sure if u will remember me but i was looking to get a puppy 'guy with no garden'. I will finally be getting a pup just b4 christmas!!! 'all going well' Im really excited and a little nervous as 1st time owner. Really happy with the breeder and they have 30 years experience with the breed. They said 1st time owners can be the best as they have no misconceptions. Still doing lot of reading on stuff.
Thank u all for the help u gave me a few months back!
Bye for now
Bilclarie

Post by Bilclarie »

Hi Dave

Good luck with your new puppy when he/she arrives, if you need any help at all don't hesitate to get in touch.
Bilclarie Dobermann's
If it's not a Dobermann it's just a dog
www.bilclarie.com
[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p244/bilclarie/untitled.jpg[/img]
dave112

Post by dave112 »

:) Thank u for that! No doubt i will be full of questions.
Thanks for the list of breeders u emailed me a while back. I choose chancepixies, and they accepted me!
Just reading the book think dog at the moment.
Just a question. Victoria and others say to remove your dogs food after 10 mins. Wont a dog challege that as its his? Would an alpha be able to do this in the wild? Just a thought.
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Many congrats! You've waited a long time. As for the food thing - start as you mean to go on, if jnr Doberpig leaves the food then pick it up at 8 weeks they will learn! :D
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

you don't always have to remove the food, and no in about 98% of cases the dog wont challege this.
In the wild the lead dog controls the food. period.
this doesn't always mean he eats first, in lean times he'll let a nursing or pregnant female eat first, or young pups. It just means that he controls who eats what. (tell me you wouldn't trust a leader who fairly divy's up the food over someone who glutton's himself while the rest of the pack starves or waits with growling stomachs, it's in a leader's best interest to keep order in a fair fashion)
but at the same time, dog's wouldn't be fed on a daily basis in the wild, they have to work hard for their food, they have to hunt or scavenge, and sometimes fight off others who would have a free supper, so make your pup "work" for his food, even if it's learning to leave his dish alone while you monkey with it, or to sit patiently while you prepare his meal.
(there is such a thing as too much monkeying so make sure that while you're getting the dog accustomed to his food dish disappearing, that you're not terrorizing him by not allowing him peace at his meals)
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

katowaggytail wrote:Many congrats! You've waited a long time. As for the food thing - start as you mean to go on, if jnr Doberpig leaves the food then pick it up at 8 weeks they will learn! :D
Oi you! I'll have you know that Ellie-May is the only Doberpig in the village!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
dave112

Post by dave112 »

Hi,
Thanks for that it is really helpful!
They are amazing animals and i know me and my dog are going to learn so much from each other.
The breeder suggested crate training due to no garden. Is a wire cage a better one? One with dividers would be good. not sure what age it will be used until.
Have a good day everyone. I need to go and earn some money to pay for it all....
see ya
Bilclarie

Post by Bilclarie »

Sometimes puppys will go off there food for a few days when you take them home, there will be a settling in period some puppys don't care some do!!!!!! remember they have had to compete for every morsel up till the the time you take them home so they may mess around with there food too as it's there's and they haven't got to share it with anyone else.
I would leave it down for at least 20 mins to give it a chance to return to it if it wants to after that time pick it up and feed as normal at it's next meal, I have males and females and I can take there food away from them at anytime I have never had a food aggresion or any other aggression problem with any of my dog's, knowing the kennel that it is comming from I shouldn't think you'll have any problems charactor wise, but if I can tell you one thing it would be Start as you mean to go on because like a lot of dog's if you give a Dobe and inch it will take a mile :lol:

As for cage size I have a few cages here and there the giant breed size as theres plenty of room as they grow in to adults, most Dobes would fit in to a large breed cage but if you end up with one the size of my Raven you'll need the biggest you can get he went from an average size puppy to a 30" 48 kilo dog.

Good luck
Bilclarie Dobermann's
www.bilclarie.com
dave112

Post by dave112 »

Your input is REALLY helpful.Thank u.
I will be getting him at 7 weeks end of december so will get him into training after jabs. Do puppies ever get 1st jab from breeder sure i've seen this b4. If not no prob. On what to feed him on eventually will be fun!!! Everyone has there favourite way and can be confusing. THhinking Arden grange or similar when he is settled. Will buy Victori's second book for sure! Sorry to rabbit on just excited.
:D
dave112

Post by dave112 »

One other thing is the statement velcro dog 100% true lol.
Will he follow me all over house. thought statement mite be exagerated maybe
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

to touch on bilclarie ( :shock: :oops: well the statement made by bilclarie) definatly go with the largest crate you can get your mitts on, use the divider for a bit until the little one gets a bit larger and YES get the wire, if your pooch becomes a chewer you'll kick yourself in the rump for getting the plastic (plus the wire has MUCH more ventilation) and is easier to keep clean as it's far less porous.
(after Molly grew up and we weren't worried so much about "accidents" in the crate we took out the plastic tray that fits in the bottom as she was making us crazy with her toenails on the plastic....

:shock: )

now she's 4 and we very rarely use the crate anymore, we take it with us when we travel out of town with her, but even then she still usually sleeps in bed with us (she's an equal opportunity snuggler)
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

LOL.... sorry Ocelot and the Princess Doberpig! :oops: It has now entered my vocab for the breed!! :lol:
Bilclarie

Post by Bilclarie »

I have always given my puppys there first vacination before sale, many years ago I bought a puppy and by the time it was 10 weeks old it had parvo I bought it at 9 weeks old!!!!!!!!!!! Here in France you can't sell a puppy until it's been chipped and had it's first vacination done, a lot of breeders will give the first before sale but not all.
I have fed Pro Plan large breed puppy and still feed them on the adult version now and have done for years and can't fault it all mine do really well on it, nice coats no funny tummy's but remember every dog is different and what may work for one may not suit another.

Velcro dog :lol: :lol: :lol: I need a crowbar on occation to get out of the house with out them can't remember the last time I went to the loo on me own either and as for getting the sofa to myself well enough said :lol:

Bilclarie Dobermann's
www.bilclarie.com
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

I too have a velcro pooch!

I know I've said it before, but your pooches are just sooo handsome. What a family! Maybe I'll have a Ridgie family like your Dobes. (Ah, looks wistful at rather grey sky.......)

:D
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

Velcro dog Laughing Laughing Laughing I need a crowbar on occation to get out of the house with out them can't remember the last time I went to the loo on me own either and as for getting the sofa to myself well enough said Laughing
same can be said for all breeds... it brings out the exhibitionist in you to shower with a head poked around the curtain or a tongue under the glass...
I get double whammy at the loo with the cat sitting on the sink watching me at eye level and the dog sitting so pretty with her head cocked...
I've got a spray bottle set to mist for when I really want privacy (it works great until Molly decides that means we're playing and brings her rope in and sets it in my lap... :roll: )

Dogs make us humble.... :sigh:
And any new pet owner will learn to say adieu to their dignity... the first time your pup trash dives and gets into floss.... :?