Dobermann Puppy

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Ah yes bin diving ... if you have a house hold of girlies then beware!!! I won't go into detail!! :lol: :oops:
dave112

Post by dave112 »

No, no need to go into detail! LOL
Will just be me and my brother in the house...
Your dogs are BEAUTIFUL!
How u cope with that many i don't know!
You must spend a fair bit keeping them.
With regard friends and relatives etc once my dog gets to know them, would they be ok to enter our house if i wasn't there? Might sound silly question but sumone said even if they know them, a guarding breed will disregard that if owner not in! If that is true at least i will know in advance...
Sorry if i asking too many questions.
I've done lot of research but SO SO much to learn!
Thanks guys :wink:
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

Practice with the pup!

Just the same as you might desensitize the dog to your leaving by coming and going so often they don't give a rip anymore, have your friends and family do the same!

Start by having everyone over, hang out sit around and go "blah de blah blah" for a bit then have you get up, get your things and go out the door, come right back in etc etc until you're dizzy ( :lol: )
then have the guests do the same thing leaving you on the sofa, get up, leave, come back in unannounced over and over until the dog is sick of all the hub-bub.

then have everyone leave for a moment, then have just the guests come in, make themselves comfortable, leave, come and go a couple more times...

(I have this scenerio playing in fast forward, by all means take your time at it, start young and keep it up well into his "teen years")
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
dave112

Post by dave112 »

Thanks for that. I want to do loads of training with him to keep him stimulated etc. Can dobes do agility ok? if so from what age?
The ***** they waiting to come into season is one of the few dobes to have done Sczhund, so sh must be pretty smart :D
Thanks again
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

They can indeed, Ellie and I are about to start. I have been told (from several sources) that agility shouldn't begin before your dog is 18 months old. Any earlier than that and you may put too much strain on their joints.
dave112

Post by dave112 »

Good to know they can do it. Have to investigate other things i can do with him that wont put a strain on his joints iwhile he is still young.Like to plan ahead a bit.
On the issue of crate training. the size crate i would need 'big one' will prob be too big for my sitting room. I have a dinning room 'more of a table tennis room' with 2 steps leading up to it. I have read crate should be in with the family as puppy will feel isolated. Do u think it could be poss to toilet train without a crate?Or should i try to fit it in lounge sumhow? Don't want to be too reliant on crate for too long if poss.
Hope u all having a good day :?
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

it is possible to toilet train without the crate, the crate just helps "reinforce" the not pooing where you sleep thing. And there's always lots of debate on where the crate should go, I DON'T think it should be in the family room since thats where all the craziness goes on (kids playing, tv on, yelling at the tv and such) The crate should be a "refuge"

Also, the crates primary purpose should be to protect the dog and to give them their own space when you leave for the day or go to bed at night you can't keep an eye on the little bugger, thats when they get into mischief!
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

it is possible to toilet train without the crate, the crate just helps "reinforce" the not pooing where you sleep thing. And there's always lots of debate on where the crate should go, I DON'T think it should be in the family room since thats where all the craziness goes on (kids playing, tv on, yelling at the tv and such) The crate should be a "refuge"

Also, the crates primary purpose should be to protect the dog and to give them their own space when you leave for the day or go to bed at night you can't keep an eye on the little bugger, thats when they get into mischief!
dave112

Post by dave112 »

I will have to give it real though.
dave112

Post by dave112 »

:x As u know I'm planning to get my puppy just before christmas.
My finances have taken a large unexpected downfall!!!! Im a window cleaner and due to economy i have lost customers. Even got behind in my rent, its a nightmare. im now having to face the fact i might not be able to get my boy this year. im gutted, i was so looking forward to it... I have to get finances sorted b4 i can afford it now.Really sad.
My neighbour has just got a puppy as has my sister and her husband.i will do all i can to get more work but it might be too much for this year!!! Also worried breeder might think im messing them around. havent paid deposit yet. Not sure when they may breed again. Had my heart set for this year.. The economy sucks...
See ya
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Breeder might agree to being paid in instalments, Dave, as it's a good home.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Bilclarie

Post by Bilclarie »

dave112 wrote::x As u know I'm planning to get my puppy just before christmas.
My finances have taken a large unexpected downfall!!!! Im a window cleaner and due to economy i have lost customers. Even got behind in my rent, its a nightmare. im now having to face the fact i might not be able to get my boy this year. im gutted, i was so looking forward to it... I have to get finances sorted b4 i can afford it now.Really sad.
My neighbour has just got a puppy as has my sister and her husband.i will do all i can to get more work but it might be too much for this year!!! Also worried breeder might think im messing them around. havent paid deposit yet. Not sure when they may breed again. Had my heart set for this year.. The economy sucks...
See ya

Have PM'd you
Bilclarie Dobermann's
If it's not a Dobermann it's just a dog
www.bilclarie.com
[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p244/bilclarie/untitled.jpg[/img]
dave112

Post by dave112 »

Hi,
No PM has come through. Will check again later in case there is a delay. :)
Bilclarie

Post by Bilclarie »

Did you recieve PM I sent?
Bilclarie Dobermann's
If it's not a Dobermann it's just a dog
www.bilclarie.com
[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p244/bilclarie/untitled.jpg[/img]