Rasing puppies

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

delladooo

Rasing puppies

Post by delladooo »

This is purely because I'm nosy and I'm trying to work out how being raised in a very busy, large dog household affected Laufey compared to being an only puppy in a household consisting predominately of young females affects MiMi. Also how upbringing would affect any other puppy / dog we bring into the family in the future (thinking of the long term plans we have).

- When raising puppies obviously they are exposed to things like cooking noises, hoover, the postman, visitors, as well as appropriate grooming but are there things that you should consciously make sure they're exposed to as it's particularly important or does just raising them in a house usually cover everything?

- When weaning, is it better to use a large communal bowl or give separate bowls and does this affect food possession issues?

- Is it important to raise the puppy with other animals? Both of the same, and other species. For instance both of my fur kids had dogs other than mum around but no other animals were mentioned or seen but get along with our menagerie, but if we add anyone else should they be used to other animals or is it enough to raise them with once we were to get?
Nettle

Re: Rasing puppies

Post by Nettle »

Feeding - it is very important that there is more food offered than needed, and that there are several containers of it. Puppies that have to fight their corner to get their rations may become food-possessive. Or they may not. And I know more than one pup that never had to fight for food that became food-possessive as part of development (they grow out of it with a little help). So let's not look for trouble! :wink:

New experiences - substrate is often overlooked and very important that a pup learns what different surfaces exist and can be walked upon. Potty -training is very substrate-dependent, which is one reason to teach puppies to eliminate on a variety of surfaces, and never offer a surface inside the house that replicates a potty area (e.g. pads). Personally I also get my pups out in all weathers before they are bothered by it, because I can't abide dogs that get mimsy about going out in the wet or cold.

Offering new experiences is a matter of doing our best and always making those experiences rewarding.

Other animals - tricky one. The pup's welfare always has to come first so no other animals that are going to hurt them. For instance we have to be very careful with our poultry - hens are vicious things and would peck a puppy's eyes given half a chance. And a dyed-in-the-wool hunting dog even as a pup will recognise small furries as prey. So common sense is your friend here.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Thanks for the insight Nettle.

I can see the logic in offering more food than is needed as I don't see a reason for them to have to stand their ground for food, seems a fruitless exercise.

Surfaces is something I completely missed. I can see how it could be an issue if left long enough too. My grandfather's dog does not like rain and would rather hold it than go out. I wonder if I missed something with Laufey here as he still won't pee in the garden, although I'm not sure it is a substrate issue as he'll go on grass, sand and concrete, just not in our yard :roll: MiMi is doing better in that respect but doesn't pee much and doesn't give many good signals so can be easy to miss. Then there's the fact she eats her poo which makes it quite a delicate situation when trying to say she's a good girl and not let her eat it :roll:

I find experiences quite a difficult thing to balance personally, whilst puppies are still at the breeders I can see how a lot of the the in house experiences would be "accidently" covered but outdoor experiences less so; that're more the owners role. This is the bit I find challenging when you need to balance the experiences and not overwhelming a puppy.

Other animals would always be tricky I think, but from what I've seen, unless there is a severe bad reaction of an older dog, a puppy can adapt quite well. For instance, my grandad's rescue dog doesn't do small furries at all but Luna, who doesn't live with small furries, was completely fine by them, and even left them alone, when we've dog sat.
Glen123

Post by Glen123 »

Lovely insight Nettle...
mum24dog

Post by mum24dog »

Nettle wrote:Feeding - it is very important that there is more food offered than needed, and that there are several containers of it. Puppies that have to fight their corner to get their rations may become food-possessive. .
I'm not sure that my pup would agree that there is ever a point when there is more food than needed, but I do agree with you.

All my other dogs have come to me at 6-12 months and have been fed from their own bowl in their own space on the assumption that they may feel the need to guard their food initially and I have never had a problem.

My pup arrived at 9.5 weeks and is a different matter altogether. One of a large working bred litter of 10 or so fed from a pan as is common. Could have been more than one pan but not individual bowls. Not the runt of the litter but not the biggest nor the pushiest. and there was another pup that was shaping up to bully the others. My pup has always hoovered up his food faster than any dog I have ever seen and is obsessed with it. Now at 6 months he is starting to show signs of aggression around his bowl which needs to be addressed. Partly his age as he is starting to assert himself, I know, but also having to compete with so many siblings won't have helped.