A guide to being terribly English..(and Pimms..)

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

emmabeth

A guide to being terribly English..(and Pimms..)

Post by emmabeth »

Specially for Yoshi and Mollysmum, but for all you forum users from across the 'pond'..

Pimms is an alcoholic drink, based on gin, which is served mixed with either lemonade or ginger beer and garnished with ice and sliced strawberries, lemon, orange, cucumber and mint leaves.

It is traditionally a summer drink, for those long lazy afternoons on the lawn under a parasol, whilst ones butler buttles and ones Corgis dash about wildly after a quoit.. (thrown by ones butler, of course..)

It is not a drink to get drunk on, though it is considered acceptable for ladies to get 'tiddly' (but not DRUNK!!! *oohgoshno*), rather it is a gay, frivolous refreshing drink for happy, light hearted summery occasions.

Whilst drinking ones Pimms, one can also partake of cucumber sandwiches, which are to be served correctly, cut into neat triangles or squares with the crusts removed and the dark green skin of the cucumber peeled off. Dainty fancy cakes are also suitable fare, as are strawberries and cream.

If one is not adequately equipped with sufficient Corgis (to supply the required mad dashing about after quoits thrown by ones Butler), other accepted pastimes would be lawn tennis, croquet - for those of a more avant garde nature, the french game of boules, and for those of a more sedentary nature, pressing wild flowers or needle point.

Conversation must be kept to light hearted, trivial matters - discussing politics or religion is the ultimate faux pas, even if the company includes members of the clergy (when did they do all their clergying if they were all being terribly avant garde and playing boules and drinking Pimms?)...

I might need to go for a lie down... the pressure you know, its getting to me old chaps!
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

:rolls!:

oh lord the mental image made me snorttle. (thats a snort + chuckle)
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Snortling.... are you SURE you are not British?... we snortle, most definately we do.

(Though, nice girls generally do a pretty, tinkling sort of a laugh.. with their embroidered lace 'kerchief over their mouths...)
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

correction, nice girls of marriageable age, still on the market have a sweet tittle while covering their mouths with a 'kerchief or fan

bitties like myself coming onto their second marriage or us "sturdy boots" sorts chortle and snortle rather effectively

and I may not be British by geography but if reading as many Victorian/ Regency era "novels" as I do counts I may be a blue blood yet!

(it also helps that I've a smattering of friends across the pond who rather enjoy amusing the "yank" by teaching me slang for my own nefarious purposes!)
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Heheh, good enough for me :) Consider yourself an honourary (dishonourable? lol) brit.

Ill do you a badge and everything.
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Eeee by 'eck chuck. Ya must be in a posher bit of Manchest-a than me. If yer go tut pub round here yull get no pimms wi yur pint o'golden an yull not see no cro-quets neether. All't scallies have twok-ed um. :-)
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

yeah Em, make with the badge... I understood what Ocelot just said...

:?

:shock:

lmao
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

ROFL :lol:
Yoshi

Re: A guide to being terribly English..(and Pimms..)

Post by Yoshi »

Hehe, this is wonderful ^-^
emmabeth wrote:It is not a drink to get drunk on, though it is considered acceptable for ladies to get 'tiddly' (but not DRUNK!!! *oohgoshno*)
Good to know, I'm a total lightweight :lol:
~J.C.
Future Groomer ^-^
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

"tiddly" is my new favorite term for being only slightly pickled (Pickled of course being my favorite for being sloshed or "drunk"

and I'll be picking up enough wine from an aunties house this weekend to be set up with Sangria for weeeeks! (guess who's going to be pretending to take holiday in the south of Spain) :wink:
thistledown

Post by thistledown »

My mother was a very posh lady who would never, ever get even slightly tiddly.

She refused to believe there was anything alcoholic in sherry.

When her friends came round for sherry they got big glasses, and they inevitably had quite a few. It was amazing how they all developed dreadful migraines involving slurred speech, headaches, tottering about, poorly tummies ...... :shock:

never got tiddly though, you understand
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

:lol:

My great aunt would sneak off with the boys, look at their motorbikes (yes thats all she was lookin' at, she said...), make her own tents and bugger off hiking... Every year she had a bottle of whisky, and that wasnt alcohol either, it was MEDICINE!

Funny... she had a lot of bottles of medicinal whisky...

Shes the northern side of the family though :lol:
Wendybyrd

Post by Wendybyrd »

OK, for all of the brits out there, please educate this confused yank...

What the heck is "bubble and squeak"? It has cabbage, right? Or is that "toad-in-the-hole"? What are these strange-sounding dishes?
150 ppl a year are killed by falling coconuts (yup, it's true). You are 50x more likely to die while relaxing under a palm tree than by an "unpredictable" pit bull attack.
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Toad in the hole is sausages surrounded by a batter mix and cooked until the batter has risen ..........so yummy!!

Bubble and squeek is left over cabbage and mash potatoes. Often had at breakfast in a "fry - up", often had , again with sausages.......

I may now have to go off and cook one of these - got me juices going!!! :lol:
Wendybyrd

Post by Wendybyrd »

Ah, thank you for clearing that up. I knew that cabbage was in there somewhere, well..I suspected at least :D
150 ppl a year are killed by falling coconuts (yup, it's true). You are 50x more likely to die while relaxing under a palm tree than by an "unpredictable" pit bull attack.