Suzanne Clothier UK Seminars

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

WufWuf

Re: Suzanne Clothier UK Seminars

Post by WufWuf »

I'm not jealous at all I swear.... (ok maybe a tiny bit ... or massively... whichever :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I wouldn't allow anyone else to work with my dogs/my dogs to work with anyone else. This would be a serious no-no for me and mine. I'm honestly quite stunned that it is a part of the course as it could be so damaging.

Otherwise I'm really envious of you all meeting up, and sure you'll have a super time.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
minkee

Post by minkee »

There is a practical part to the 'professionals' weekend, which is not the weekend we're looking at. There is NO practical part to the seminars on the 14th and 15th, and so I will leave Scout at home, because it would be a long old journey for her, for no reward from her PoV. She would happily work for ANYONE though, and is jolly good at training them to be better and work harder / faster! :) I wouldn't be happy doing this without my supervision though. Not relevant in this case, though.

I'm not sure what the policy is on dogs chilling out at our feet during the course. I think Clare is going to find out what she can about that, and I hope it means Ted is going to come along!

Judy - no set times for the courses yet, just that they are 'all day'.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I don't think I'll be able to meet up now :( We're just back from a long weekend near Leicester, and Jasper's car phobia has kicked in again. Motorways don't help, with the different road surface noises, and the sound of overtaking lorries - not that there are any motorways on the way to my mum, but he's now not at all happy about being in the car at all, and I'd like his stress levels to settle down after being away from home.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
katej215

Post by katej215 »

Judy that's such a shame...sensible move by the sounds of it tho. I'm definately not taking Hattie, I think it would be too much for her sitting there all day without anything to do...it's bad enough when we go to some kind of obedience or HTM workshop and have to sit just whilst others have their turn :roll:
If you decide to visit your Mum without Jasper that weekend, then just pm me :D
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

katej215 wrote:If you decide to visit your Mum without Jasper that weekend, then just pm me :D
Haha, chance would be a fine thing :lol: I've never left him for more than a few hours, even with OH. I have suggested to OH I should go away overnight just to get Jasper used to the idea, but OH is convinced that neither of them would sleep a wink and they'd both be howling by morning :roll:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

:lol: sweet!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

JudyN wrote: OH is convinced that neither of them would sleep a wink and they'd both be howling by morning

aaawwwww no doubt you are wanted and needed :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

How was the course :?: :D
katej215

Post by katej215 »

AMAZING! :D Felt really inspired when i left ...particularly as I've felt so stuck with Hattie in terms of finding a way to move forward with her noise phobia issues..

She was a great speaker, very engaging and just had soo much knowledge ...I felt so in awe if her. :oops: We covered so many topics, including puppy development, touched on neuro biology in terms of development (so so interesting for a non sciencey brained person like me!), and she talked alot about focusing on the whole relationship with our dogs..and not getting stuck in splitting between training mode and everyday life mode. . There were people who had been chosen to bring their dogs who had specific issues, and it was so interesting watching her working with the handlers first (some obviously very experienced, some rank novices) before she even started with the dogs, and it is interesting hearing comments she made to other handlers, some which I could identify with myself. I can't even begin to touch on all the things we covered , it would be a massive post, plus probably would not be doing her justice !!

I have to say it was an allround fantastic weekend, I met some lovely people, sat next to a lady with the most stunning Manchester terrier! and felt so inspired I have signed myself up for a 4 day behaviour conference in Paris in May, with main speakers including Ken Ramirez , Kathy Sdao and Susan Freidman :D

Real shame you couldn't make it Judy...I would have LOVED to have heard Suzanne's take on some of Jaspers' idiosyncrasies... :D
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

katej215 wrote:Real shame you couldn't make it Judy...I would have LOVED to have heard Suzanne's take on some of Jaspers' idiosyncrasies... :D
Not half has much as I would :lol:

I was almost tempted to bung him in the car and come anyway, but as the main purpose of the trip was to meet like-minded positive-training friends, it would have been a bit hypocritical :wink: