New Litter of Positive Alaskan Sled Dog Puppies

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: New Litter of Positive Alaskan Sled Dog Puppies

Post by Nettle »

Thank you for my puppy fix, Swanny :D :D :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

What a wonderful way to start a day. Video of adorable Headland Husky puppies! :D :D
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Really enjoyed watching the video earlier (I caught it over on FB) - so cute watching them bumble around, some of them wanting back in the hutch and some off exploring the pen together.

Had to laugh when you tossed the hammer out and I thought 'uh oh... will you find THAT later' :lol:
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

I haven't found the hammer yet. I doubt I will find it until breakup. It wasn't my brightest moment. :oops:

I've started feeding the puppies outside the hutch (I like that word) to encourage them to be a bit more mobile and to practice on the steps leading to the doorway. A lot of dogs seem to have trouble learning to cope with stairways, so I figured I'd give these guys a head start. There is also more room for them to circle 'round the saucer.

"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

We are starting to sort out which puppies are going to go to which homes. The owner of the sire (Linda Newman, owner of Points Unknown touring kennel) graciously let me have pick of the females. I've chosen Aufeis and she was practically doing the happy dance as she has preferred Nilas the entire time. Nilas will be renamed Terra in keeping with Linda's "Mythical Creatures" naming theme.

Meanwhile, she and I are considering Glacier and Jumble. One of the two will stay with Trish and I, and the other will be going to Linda. The problem is that the two boys are nearly identical in size and development. We may reach a decision within the next few days. Meanwhile, Anita Fowler is trying to decide between Frazil and Hardpack and wants to wait until they are 8 weeks to make her choice. Once she does, the other of the two puppies will also be going to Minnesota to live.

More pictures - 'cause no one can resist pictures of puppies.

Jumble (left) and Glacier (right).

Jumble, head on.

From left to right, Frazil, Jumble, Nilas and Aufeis.

Hardpack (center), Jumble (right, behind Hardpack) and Terra (on the ground).
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Thanks for the puppy fix Swanny :D
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Terra on the ground. Hardy har har :)
Pups are looking healthy. :)
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

While I'm here at work, Trish and the puppies had a big day yesterday. With Nita's help, all were weighed and dewormed, and Terra and Griffin got their first vaccinations (they are flying with us to Minnesota on Saturday next). Nita got some nice photos to share as well.

Griffin (formerly Jumble) is still the big boy of the bunch, at 11 lb., 2 oz.

Aufeis is still a big girl, at 10#, 14 oz.

Glacier is only slightly smaller than his sister, at 10 lb., 8 oz.

Hardpack tips the scale at 9 lb, 8 oz.

Frazil is no longer the smallest. He weighed in at 9 lb., 4 oz.

Terra (formerly Nilas) was the smallest this time around, weighting 9 lb. even.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Oh my goodness they are so cute!

It will be fun to watch as they continue to grow and learn to pull.
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

Terra (formerly Nilas) and Griffin (formerly Jumble) are preparing for their grand flight to their forever home in Minnesota. Trish met me at the airport as I got off the crew-change flight from work, and we dashed off to our vet's clinic for their identification microchips and health certificates. Of course they were the immediate rock-stars of the clinic, with all of the techs and even some other clients begging for their turn to hold the babies. We got many compliments on how calmly the puppies accepted all the attention and the entire circumstance.

This was their first introduction to traveling in the crate, and they settled right in as though they'd been doing so all their lives.

Griffin, looking over at his sulking sister.

Yes, Terra was sulking. Apparently her grandmother is also prone to sulking when confronted with new circumstances.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Ahh, I swear I can smell that wonderful puppy breath from here! :D

I wish Terra and Griffin a safe trip and a wonderful life in Minnesota! :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Omigod, how sweet is Terra?! If it were me, I'd crawl in the crate with her and cuddle her all the way to her new home!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

Trish and I are just back from our trip to Minnesota to deliver Griffin and Terra to the Points Unknown kennel. It was a wonderful visit, a bit of a whirlwind, and we are both nearly exhausted. Not nearly so much as Linda, who's pregnant female Rayna decided to go into labor about the same time Trish and I were leaving. FB posts this morning indicate that Rayna is delivering her litter without difficulty, pushing out some striking puppies.

Phoenix, the puppies sire, is indeed a striking specimen of the Hedlund Husky line. From the moment he met the puppies he KNEW they were his, and immediately took on the role of the "doting daddy". Anytime any of the other dogs were interacting with HIS kids he was right there supervising.

For now, Griffin and Terra are living inside, learning how to be good house dogs under the supervision of Phoenix, Zola, Tuloon, Sayah (Australian Shepherd) Copper (ancient little mixed breed poodle-something Linda rescued off the street 14 years ago), Blue and Kraus (that's a LOT of dogs in the house, given that the sled dogs in the group weight between 60 and 80 pounds each).

We took the "kids" on a couple of surprisingly long puppy hikes, and they were very fun, both of them pulling and vying to be in front of the van. I believe they both are "natural" leaders - with a strong desire to be pulling well out in front. When working hard to race ahead of his sister or a human walking ahead, Griffin gives a little "yip" with each leap, which is just cute as can be.

I'll have more pictures to share later, when I get a chance to download my own camera, but here are few pirated from Linda's FB page.

Linda holding Griffin (left) and Terra (right) during a "puppy walk" on one of her mushing trails.

Proud papa Phoenix overseeing a play session.

Linda's handler, Clare (from Scotland) has the puppies on leash, with Trish and I standing to the side during a puppy walk.

Meanwhile, Griffin and Terra's littermates were staying with our friend Anita, who captured this photo of Aufeis, Glacier and Frazil.

Anita took the four puppies in her care, along with Mum Chetan, on some walks on HER trails, but most of the photos she captured are typical dog musher photos, capturing the nuances of their little bums.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Wow, they've got so BIG!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

During our trip we kept our house dog (Shadow) in a commercial boarding kennel, and our friend Nita took Chetan and the babies to her kennel WAY up near the top of a mountain called Murphy Dome. I was concerned about Shadow, as she is very reactive and could be a biter without careful management. The staff at Holy Dog Kennel paid attention when I explained her behavioral issues and worked with her accordingly. As a result she was able to participate in play groups, did not get particularly snarky with other dogs (she is horrible around male dogs), allowed staff to pick up toys and "her" stuff, and actually got a nice report card. We wouldn't hesitate to take her back.

This thread is about the puppies, though. We drove up to Nita's place and enjoyed an awesome meal prepared by a young Austrian guest in her B&B. He is a vintner, just coming of age and enjoying a dog sledding and aurora watching adventure with Nita and her dogs with his wife. (Oh, to be so young again - sigh). Apparently she chose the activity and venue (she's been to Alaska before) and both are having the time of their lives. When they return home, he will be entering the family business with the job of developing and managing a public tasting room, tours of their winery and vineyard. Of course they are head over heels in love with the puppies.

During our visit, Aufeis, Glacier, Hardpack and Frazil romped and played and roamed and explored and were generally underfoot the entire time. At least until nap time, when all four crapped out simultaneously. Frazil stretched out on the empty lower shelf of a book case and his siblings stretched out just beneath him to give all of a humans a bit of peace and quiet.

Nita's guest house overlooks the Tanana Flats and, in good weather, offers a fine view of Denali (aka Mount McKinley). It's particularly striking at sunset.