New Litter of Positive Alaskan Sled Dog Puppies

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

emmabeth

Re: New Litter of Positive Alaskan Sled Dog Puppies

Post by emmabeth »

Aww glad I checked in here this evening, they look like actual puppies now rather than furry slug shaped things! Awesome stuff.. and im another trying to snuggle the screen! :lol:
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

It's been another busy week around here. I've completed my paramedic refresher course and the State certification exam is history - I'll know the results in a week or two, but I don't have any concerns or anxiety about it. I did have to do a special work related project yesterday which took me away most of the day, but I did get to do kennel chores and play with the babies a bit in the morning.

When I went out to feed the ever ravenous Mama Chetan came dashing out of the house, and the ever so curious puppies decided to check out the action outside the house, and take a peek at the big, wide outside world. Jumble and Nilas were both half in, half out to better see what was going on. Not to be outdone by her siblings, Aufeis came fully outside the whelping box. This is at least the 2nd time she's done so, showing that she is the boldest explorer of the litter so far.

When I share the news with Linda, the owner the sire and who has the right to her pick of 2 dogs in the litter, a male and a female, Linda very graciously sent a message reserving her right to pick of male, but granting me the privilege of keeping my choice of female (only two girls in the bunch). I think she already knows which girl I'm leaning toward as she's previously told me that while she appreciates my preference for intelligent dogs as evidenced by creative problem solving, she does not share that preference.

Although I'm not aware of studies that either support or refute it, there is a widespread belief that intelligent dogs are often challenging dogs to train. I agree with that - but I enjoy the challenge. At this point, based on the little I've seen, I'm leaning toward keeping Aufeis and taking Nilas to Linda in Minnesota next month. That's not a final decision and for the next week I'll have more time to watch and learn as they kiddos start to display more of their individual personality traits.

Meanwhile, the 'cuteness' factor continues to grow as the puppies grow and develop.

I was fascinated watching Chetan trying to help Aufeis back into the whelping box. Her patience and gentleness as she nudged the pudgy little girl here and there back toward the door of the whelping house was delightful.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Oh Jumble has me totally smitten look at that chunky puppy I really want to snuffle him!
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

Morning report. I'm just in from kennel chores. It's quite cold this morning (0 degrees F = -18 degrees C), so the puppies weren't quite so forward about coming out. Glacier came out onto the 'porch' for a wee bit, but I put him back in pretty quickly to help him stay warm. Later, while I scooping the yard Aufeis came out, turned around, and tried to figure out how to get back in through the blanket that covers the door. I cuddled her for a bit and set her inside, and then shifted the blanket to elevate a bit, making it easier (but not a no-brainer) for puppies to lift it with their little noses.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

This evening Aufeis figured out how to get back into the whelping house on her own. It was interesting watching her try and try and try again. Shen she succeeded that little tail was spinning like a windmill.

Here's a pic of her (standing with her front feet on the 'porch' and some of her siblings looking on. Frazil was somewhere in, under or amongst his sibs.

Sanna

Post by Sanna »

I so love following this thread. Jumble is just about the cutest thing I've ever seen! :D
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

Frazil was more in the forefront as I was feeding this morning. Here is some more cuteness for you.

MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

What a cute little speckled nose Frazil has. :D Will that likely stay that way or will it darken or lighten with age? Does it go with his white coloring?

I was noticing that all of the puppies seem to have brown eyes. Is that normal for the Headland Huskies? Are the blue eyed Sibes the majority or minority for the Siberian Husky breed? (I never really thought about that before. I just always thought of huskies as having blue eyes, but I know they don't all have blue and can have bi eyes and even two tone eyes.)

Those puppies look like they really could use a hug from the east coast. :lol: :lol:
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

It's hard to tell with their irises so dilated, but they all have dark blue eyes. That will change to their 'real' eye color within the next few days.

Today was their first experience with 'real' food. Frazil was first into the pan, but not by much. This photo was captured less than 30 seconds after putting the pan into the whelping house.

Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I don't know why the old dog masters made such a to-do about weaning - IME they are all eager self-weaners :lol:

They are real little bundles now, aren't they? With that slightly Churchillian look that whelps that age have.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

The puppies reminded me of a school of piranhas at feeding time this morning. They LIKE this food thing.

Poor Chetan, though. As soon as I let her back in the whelping pen all 6 puppies each grabbed a teat. She was standing there with the puppies all dangling, their feet barely on the floor and gave me that :roll: look. All I could do was shrug, scratch her ears, and move along to the next dog in line.
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Swanny,

I just want to cuddle them. They are absolutely precious. Thank you for sharing how they are learning about the world around them. Such innocence. :D :D

0 F already? And I have been freezing at 40F :roll:
I cannot wait to see the pups reaction to seeing snow the first time. :D

Thank you so much for the updates. Getting my puppy fix. :D
Diane
Having left Maine and heading back to New Mexico, USA. I need warmer weather. :wink:
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Swanny,

I was just wondering if you and Trish are putting together a scrap book. It would make a lovely children's book, too. :wink:

Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

I have all the good puppy pix saved in this box of wires.

Some of the puppies have already been toddling about in the snow. When they start fussing Chetan very gently nudges them back into their whelping house. They've never seen ground that wasn't covered in snow, and probably won't until late April or early May.
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

Trish and I changed out the straw in the whelping pen today. The only challenge was that the top was frozen in (condensation from puppy breath). I needed to bang on it with a hammer to loosen it up. Since the babies are still weeks away from their first fear imprint period, we moved Chetan out of the pen to a nearby post where she could watch, but wouldn't be modeling a fear reaction to the noise. Yeah, we are already socializing the little guys.

There is a lot of fun puppy behavior to check out in the 23 minute video. Maybe some bad language here and there, but nothing loud or angry. We just tend to be rather colorful and not so creative in our use of American English from time to time. Trust me - you've heard worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaBU7q4eiTQ