New Litter of Positive Alaskan Sled Dog Puppies

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Swanny1790

New Litter of Positive Alaskan Sled Dog Puppies

Post by Swanny1790 »

Chetan, bless her little heart, decided to whelp her litter on September 30th, while I was 3,000 miles away. Our friend Anita came over and helped my wife. In the process she captured these images of the new puppies at 1 day of age. 1 puppy was still born, leaving us with 6 healthy, squirmy little Hedlund huskies, contributing to the preservation of a very remarkable line of Alaskan sled dogs. We have 2 girls, and 4 boys. One of the boys is white, an fairly unusual color of coat among Hedlunds.

Here are some photos of the litter. (wait for it... wait for it....) "Awwwww".

Image Male

Image Female

Image Female

Image Male

Image Mom with her family

Image Chow time

Image Male

Image Male
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
JudyN

Re: New Litter of Positive Alaskan Sled Dog Puppies

Post by JudyN »

Oh bless them, they are gorgeous!! Love their dorsal stripes, and Chetan looks great. I'm sitting here trying to choose which one(s) I want... :lol:

I know how busy you are, but do please try to keep the photos (and videos!) coming.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Congratulations, they are beautiful :D I'm looking forward to following their progress too :D
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

6 is a nice size for a litter. Doesn't Chetan have a lovely face?

Looking forward to as many pics as you get time to post.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
gwd

Post by gwd »

Keep the pictures coming (and video of course). Pups look strong and healthy. Your girl did herself proud (Trish too)
Erica

Post by Erica »

Ooooh, they are adorable! Congratulations :D
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Anatine

Post by Anatine »

Wow Chetan is gorgeous! As are the pups :D
I can't wait to see how they grow
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Mama and pups are gorgeous! :D Looking forward to many more pics and updates. :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

So we all guessed the number of pups wrong then :lol:

Chetan looks like a happy Mommadog :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

swanny, see you in 59 hours and 10 minute...per map quest. :shock: :lol:
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Ooooooooo cuteness overload. The little white one really stands out from the crowd. Chetan looks like a very happy mama. We expect updates every day. (They grow so fast you know.)

Do you have place for a slide for them? All of the sammy litters around here get a kiddie 2 step slide to play on. They really enjoy it and climb up the slide as well as going down and will even slide down and immediately run around to the steps and climb up and slide down again. Not sure how they would hold up in the cold, but they have been proven puppy proof.

Pictures of Sammys playing on the slide can be found on the Potomac Valley Samoyed Club web page. I am so lucky, I get to see pictures of 2 litters of puppies growing up at the same time. (There is a sammy litter that is just starting to eat food and someone has been posting pictures of them on the groups facebook page.) :D :D :D

I cannot have a puppy. I cannot have a puppy. My dogs would ruin it. I cannot have a puppy. i cannot have a puppy.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
gwd

Post by gwd »

jacksdad wrote:swanny, see you in 59 hours and 10 minute...per map quest. :shock: :lol:
Bring coffee cake. :lol:
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

gwd wrote:
jacksdad wrote:swanny, see you in 59 hours and 10 minute...per map quest. :shock: :lol:
Bring coffee cake. :lol:
I may take a little longer :lol: .

They are gorgeous! Love the speed stripes on them all. You'll have a fast team out of that litter.
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

Yesterday Trish and I weighed each of the puppy as we did the second day of early neuro-stimulation exercises for them. Keeping in mind it is day 2 weights, here is what we got (in U.S. ounces).

White male - Weight 12.4 oz (351.5 g)

Agouti male (white stripe on forehead) 13.7 oz (388 g)

Agouti female 16.4 oz (456 g)

Buff female (white patch on neck) 14.1 oz (399.7 g)

Buff male 17.1 oz (484.7 g) - that one is a whopper

Silver gray male 14.9 oz (396.9 g)

We had one puppy stillborn, an impossibly large white puppy. I haven't examined the body yet for cause because Trish was so upset about it, but the body is being respectfully stored in the freezer. I'll examine it while Trish is at work one of these evenings. I did feel the package and there is no question it was much larger than it's litter mates (I don't yet know the sex). Had that been detected in the x-ray we probably would have scheduled a c-section; it is that large. Based on Trish's description it sounds like it's skull was badly compressed during passage through the birth canal.

That is rather immaterial, though. All six puppies are doing well, as is Chetan. She is being a very diligent Mom, keeping a very close eye on them, keeping them warm, producing plenty of milk for them. Overall it's going quite well.

Now we need to be thinking about puppy names. Since they are pupsickles, we've decided the naming theme for the litter will be different forms of ice or snow. So far I've come up few ideas, but need some more suggestions from you guys.

Frazil (a collection of loose, randomly oriented needle-shaped ice crystals in water. It resembles slush and has the appearance of being slightly oily when seen on the surface of water)

Hardpack (ice formed by the compression of snow over trails and roadways)

Aufeis (is a sheet-like mass of layered ice that forms from successive flows of ground water during freezing temperatures.)

Rime (the ice that forms when fog or mist leaves your car coated in drops of ice)

Hoarfrost (deposit of ice crystals on objects exposed to the free air, such as grass blades, tree branches, or leaves)

... and that's where I run out of ideas. I'd welcome any suggestions along the same theme that you might care to offer.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Ooh, I shall come back to the naming this evening (neck deep in editing the most boring book in the world), but my first thought was whether you could call one 'Jon Snow'.

'Hardpack' sounds like the name of someone in a p*rno movie (not that I've ever watched one), and I do wonder if 'Hoarfrost' might not sound quite right out loud :lol:

BTW, I'm sorry Trisha is upset about the stillborn pup. Maybe tell her there's a reason why dogs and wolves have such big litters - they are simply not all expected to survive :( At least this one didn't block the exit route for the rest of them or cause Chetan problems.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009