What is your dog NOT good at?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

minkee

What is your dog NOT good at?

Post by minkee »

A friend of mine showed me this article: http://www.agilitynet.co.uk/training/bo ... deatt.html

I thought it was great! A good way to start looking at your dog with a new perspective. It's about border collies, but I think you can easily change the specifics to think about your own dog.

For example, Breeze is SO much happier when he's roaming free, which is just what he was bred to do. He was NOT bred to be on-lead, sticking close, dealing with other breeds of dogs.

Anyway, I liked it and thought I'd share :)
Nettle

Re: What is your dog NOT good at?

Post by Nettle »

Not good at - people and dogs with bad manners. P&D getting into her space. P&D running at her. The particular breeds/types of dog she really hates. Things she thinks are pointless (do not ask this dog to do tricks). Any kind of pressure. If ever there are breeds to teach hands-OFF traning, it's the sighthound group.

But she doesn't have to be good at any of these things - I take my job as her protector very seriously :wink:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Generally, Piper loves other dogs and having opportunities to meet and greet on occasion. But . . . she is not always good at dealing with dogs who are overly enthusiastic in their greetings or with rude manners from other dogs. She will try and put them in their place with a bit of a lip curl and a few air snaps, but they are usually too busy being goofy and bobbling around her to even notice. :roll: :lol:

She also is usually a bit tentative if two or more dogs come towards her at once, even if they have good manners. I deal with both of these things simply not allowing the interaction when I can help it or moving her away quickly if it gets to the point where it is bothering her.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Jasper is not good at:

Stoicism
Dealing with rude, bouncy dogs
Mindless obedience
Being handled by strangers
Being handled by anyone who he suspects has an ulterior motive
Any situation where he senses a certain pressure: dog shows, lurcher racing, doing more than one jump or tunnel in an agility setup
Strange men coming in the house (not that I have a lot of strange men come to visit, of course :wink: )
Ignoring 'people food' that we don't seem to want right now. Or cat food, come to think of it :lol:
Coping with any form of stress in a proportionate manner
Grasping the meaning of 'No!', 'Quiet', 'Stop digging craters in the garden', and so on.
Figuring out that it makes sense to give up a small, boring food item in exchange for something huge, stinky and delicious
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Kelly is not good at being tolerant of other dogs and people without having lots of freedom to move, especially on-leash. Doesn't like being crowded one bit.

She's not good at keeping a nice new bed in one piece for long. She rests a bit but she's not good at staying calm for too long unless we practise obedience, tricks, games, agility, and sniff, explore, etc. daily to stimulate her mind and body.

She's not good (getting better) at being quiet when 'intruders' use the public walkway by my side fence.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Sky is not good at waiting, as in on lead and being stopped for just about any reason. I have noticed that most of the sammys I have met have this same disability. :lol:

Sirius is not good at taking the novel in stride. Unless the stride is a full on charge to chase whatever it is away. :roll:

They are who they are and I do believe it is important to listen and learn from them where their strengths and weaknesses are.

Thanks for sharing the article.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

"Whoa". My sled dogs are definitely not good at "whoa".
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
jennageit

Post by jennageit »

Jock is not good at walking on slippery floors, not chewing his box, not tolerating motorbikes.

Peppa is not good at........... well, right now her ears seem to be painted on, so listening.

Pippa is not good at doing something when you ask. She's one of those "I'll get around to it" kind of dogs.
Whilst she was running around the paddock one day, I called her. She gave me that "Oh well done, you've learned my name" look as she ran straight past me! lol
Kids, dogs, family, writing, coffee and chocolate. What more is there in life?
Oh yeah, updating my blog daily, there's always that too!
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Having nothing to do. Spen has created his own jobs around the house and takes them very seriously indeed. He had 2 weeks of forced rest due to surgery on a paw a few months ago and he was an absolute nightmare.

Passing other dogs without a meet and greet. He's getting better, no lunging and screaming now, but does still whine and dance.

Walking nicely on leash. Almost 3 years we've been working on this now and although much improved he's still not good. Especially if we walk with someone :roll:

Leaving things where they belong. He doesn't generally destroy things but he does move them around. It's not uncommon to find the tv remote in the bathroom or the shampoo in the bedroom. We have to be extra careful to put dangerous items in cupboards or drawers and keep the kitchen door shut. Last time it was left open he came trotting into the living room carrying a steak knife by the blade :shock: Thankfully we've done so much work on trading that an (admittedly not very calm) "can I see?" resulted in it being spat at me.

Realizing when training sessions are over. Which ties in with the above one because in an effort to re-engage me he brings me gifts.