What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

delladooo

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by delladooo »

JudyN wrote:My own experience supports the statistic that you're more likely to be involved in an accident on the way to the airport, but at least cars don't crash down from 30,000 feet up in the sky when they hit each other :lol:
Ahh but just think, a car crash is likely to hurt more than a plane crash because you're more likely to live through it.
That's my logic for heights anyway, big heights don't both me because you'll die but little heights will just hurt... I'm so cheery :mrgreen:
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Got this little snippet whilst we were out this afternoon, http://youtu.be/JGpoQvjFAyY excuse Laufey eating the mud :roll:
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

JudyN wrote:
Nettle wrote:I have a slight fear of flying, based on my observation that heavy things tend to fall down when unsupported (oh please don't let us get ladies' undergarment spam now... :shock: ).
I'm a bit scared too, but perfectly fine as long as I don't think about it. The problem is that suddenly gaining altitude in the middle of a rainy, turbulence-y landing makes you think about it a lot!

Sweetie is still keeping a very close eye on us. I took her to the beach this morning but at 6:30 it was already too hot to give her much exercise. She had a nice splash to cool off though. And a bath when we got home. Now I'm about to leave her at home with OH while I go and visit someone whose children are too 'boisterous' (being kind with that description) for Sweetie to handle. Nor should she have to handle it.

Delladoo - that's a great video of Mimi's recall.
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Thanks SH we were actually trying to just capture her running because I find it hilarious but our camera skills leave much to be desired :lol:

Laufey met a standard poodle yesterday called Moses. I've seen him about a few times but never when I've been out with Laufey or when I've been in a position to ask about him. He's nearly two, a bit of a nipper apparently and absolutely gorgeous. I'm still determined to have one, one day. I was in love like nobody's business and for once Laufey was ready to move on before I was :oops:

I've been thinking about it over the last couple of days and I'm starting to see a change in Laufey; his leave it is really improving (providing it's non-edible or too stuck to the floor) and he seems much more ready to leave the toy he and MiMi are arguing over when prompted. I've also noticed that I'm fighting a losing battle trying to keep dogs away because he makes himself as inviting as possible; we met a cocker this morning (off lead) and they both stopped and started at each other, then Laufey started whining and then play bowing, at which point the cocker came over, so it's all his fault :roll: He's just too friendly :roll:
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

We've been very busy up here in the Great White North. Several good training runs with various teams, including a superb job of breaking trail through deep, new snow. Unfortunately, the dogs worked well, but the video camera worked not at all (sigh). Trish and I are also hustling about preparing 16 week old Hardpack for an airline trip. He is going to a new home in Mancos, Colorado. Artist Veryl Goodnight and her husband, Roger Brooks, are going to be his proud new owners.

Veryl runs a 4-dog recreational team in between painting and sculpting. At one time she and Roger raised an orphan bison calf as a pet, which made a big splash in the news for a time and was the subject of the book A BUFFALO IN THE HOUSE by R. D. Rosen. I figure any couple that can raise a pet bison will have no problem with a working pet Hedlund husky.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Well I feel really mean today. It's not been the best of days :?

All started when I got up (slightly late) this morning; Laufey didn't mind because he didn't even get up with me but I forgot to defrost their food. Luckily there's part of a mince pack in the fridge that I've not got around to portioning and freezing all of it so they had some of that for breakfast and I took out more stuff for them for the rest of the day. When the lazy boy got up we went for our morning walk and I let him off again (I'm getting brave! :shock: ) and he was doing well, if still trying to eat mud, when another dog joined us on the park so he went back on lead; I felt a bit mean about this but I was not about to push anything when I had to go to uni. Then it's just a generally bad day because they're on their own for about 5 hours between mum going to work and me getting back from uni; they can handle it but it still bothers me. Then I might have got a bit frustrated and shouted at him when I was sorting out stuff in the freezer and taking their food out then washing the pots - he was right under my feet and one of us was about to go flying. I love him to bits but he's so obsessed with food that it's hard to get him to think clearly sometimes :roll:
bendog

Post by bendog »

Day 1 of four day IMDT course today and it was fantastic. Very scary, having to stand up and talk/teach in front of everyone, its less about dogs and more about how to teach PEOPLE, so learnt lots about communicating clearly, etc etc which is the part I am rubbish at!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

We met the black labs Mia and Rua today & their owners. Jasper managed to pilfer their squeaky rugby-ball-shaped Kong ball and had a wonderful game with it while Mia and Rua had to make do with normal boring tennis balls. It's amazing what he can do with a ball while wearing a muzzle, he's as skilled with his nose as Pele is with his left foot :lol:

Then it was time to go, and getting pilfered balls off Jasper is never easy - I don't normally give him the opportunity to pinch them, but I know the owners well and they know Jasper. The man walked calmly up to Jasper, Jasper grrrrred and barked a bit but was a bit half-hearted about it (compared to usual :wink: ) and didn't freeze or lunge at him, then the man simply put his foot on the ball and picked it up, at which Jasper shrugged his shoulders and went to cool off in the stream.

I don't know how he does it - he has such a cool calm presence, he isn't in the slightest bit confrontational, but he just has this way of conveying that he is now going to get the ball, and that is what happens. It's awesome. His wife says it's because he has absolutely no fear of getting bitten,* but there's more to it than that. I just wish I had whatever it was :lol: I'm sure they think I've failed to 'show Jasper who's boss', but they're too polite to say.

*This may very well be true - he once nearly severed a finger when fiddling with his motorbike. Deciding that it was rather inconvenient to have it hanging off by a single ligament, he yanked it off completely, wrapped it up and went off to the hospital with it in his pocket... :shock:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
bendog

Post by bendog »

Never leaving the dogs again :(

After well over a year, probably nearer 2 years, pretty much trouble free, Pops and Sash had a major spat over a stray piece of kibble in the bedroom last night apparently (probably fallen out of a pocket at some point), and Sash has a torn ear :(
Management always fails, but of course it has to happen when I'm 200 miles from home! :(

I'm finding the course much harder than I thought, which is cool coz I'm learning lots but feel way behind some of the others in ability, made a right mess of the long lines, plus it's really tiring, been on my feet outside for 6 hours today with maybe half hour sit down at lunchtime, OH rang to tell me Pops reacted to a fisherman on canal, plus the fight (which he only told me about as an afterthought!), he didn't pick up the money one of my clients left out for walks, and didn't leave any change for another, even though I text him to remind him for both, and he didn't even bother to ask how my day was on the phone, just hung up because I was "moaning at him" about the fight.

just really really fed up tonight :(
bendog

Post by bendog »

HOWEVER - one of the ladies on the course saw me working with Charlie with a clicker and asked how long I've been training him with it etc and said she would have to get herself one, so he obviously made a good impression (he has been a little gem!)

And a message on my business Facebook page asking my opinion on slip leads to stop her dog from pulling has helped remind me why I put myself through all this, because it is important to spread the word and if I can be in a position where people are going to turn to me for advice or ask my opinion at least it's a chance to get across better ways of training (I'll be replying and recommending a harness!)
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Bendog, I do hope they're all okay and you've got something out of the course, even if it's not everything you wanted.

This morning I was taking my car to my cousin's garage for him to sort it and it's not far from a park so I took Laufey too. He had fun on the park but we got rather cold so we went in the pet shop close by and got him a new coat (waterproof red one with removable fleece so good for all weather) it's a smudge big but the smaller one was a bit too too small. He was a very good boy in the pet shop if you ignore that he was very excited by the roast bones he wanted to get at. We were there quite a while talking to the owner about raw - she feeds her whippet raw and stocks NM but I was surprised to see she had the cat range too, I know it doesn't actually make a difference and you would just add more heart to the dog range but I was excited to find somewhere that does it anyway. Eventually we left there and continued on, not back to the park but through the square where he was very good until we found some abandoned cooked chicken bones on the floor which I had to physically remove from his mouth because I have no idea where he found them but luckily I don't think he swallowed any. After walking around for an hour and a half he made it very clear he was freezing by going in sheltered shop doorways and refusing to move so we headed back to my cousin's and sat in the car whilst we waiting for him to sort it. I'm expecting him to sleep most of the afternoon but I'm sorting food out soon so he'll probably be watching me do that instead :roll:
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Dilemma.

I think there's a pee in the garden. It's too big to be MiMi's. That leaves Laufey. I didn't see him to do and I didn't see him go in the garden. Granted most of the afternoon was spend sorting dog food. I just want to know if he did. Was he a clever boy and went in the garden? Are we turning a corner? Is this just wishful thinking? :| :| I'm inclined to go with wishful thinking
bendog

Post by bendog »

Oh no Della, course was amazing, I was just WAY out of my comfort zone (instructing group classes) and found it really scary and tough!! But learnt a lot and excellent practice for if/when I start dog training classes for real.

Finished now, but now got the membership assessment next week to swot up for (same institute Emmabeth recently became a member of)
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

bendog wrote:Oh no Della, course was amazing, I was just WAY out of my comfort zone (instructing group classes) and found it really scary and tough!! But learnt a lot and excellent practice for if/when I start dog training classes for real.

Finished now, but now got the membership assessment next week to swot up for (same institute Emmabeth recently became a member of)
Abby good, I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I can't say as I'd be any good at group instructor; organise I can do, deligate I'm pretty good at but actually present anything with any kind of audience and I'm in hell. Good luck with the assessment next week and you'd be more than welcome to come do training classes in my area :wink:
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

That awkward moment when you've got girl friends over for afternoon tea on the patio and your pug jumps in your lap and leaves behind a bit of... errr... 'residue'. :oops: