What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by JudyN »

JudyN wrote:Maybe it's a good thing, once in a while, to make it quite clear that some things aren't acceptable... or maybe I'll just have upset him so much he gets to be even more anxious about where I am and keeping me there.
Well, seeing as he had a bit of a growl when OH merely crossed his legs just now, it looks like I've just succeeded in upsetting him. No surprise there, really :? OH didn't respond - he had his headphones on and didn't even notice :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Anatine

Post by Anatine »

I've been at university a few days now; my girlfriend is doing well with Quorra on her own.
I miss my baby, but Quorra is my girlfriends dog, and she's learnt a lot from me, from the positively website, and youtube, and is doing a great job looking after her!

Today I met a girl on my course who previously did an animal management course. We had to walk around a woodland today and talk about management options (coppice, invasive species, litter etc) and we saw a lady with 6 collies, all of which she got into a down stay as we walked past. This led to me and my new friend talking about classic and operant conditioning, reinforcement methods and how much dominance theory sucks. I was great to meet someone I could talk to about positive training! I think we'll be chatting more about her labs and Quorra over the next few weeks :)
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

I've been diligently updating the Lady Dog and Being on Heat thread ( https://positively.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 3&start=90 ), mostly so I have a "diary" to look back at, but also incase it helps someone else.

This morning I was back to being able to walk Ted off lead with Ella present (on lead). So I think I'm over the worst of it, which turned out to be 5 days of a few crying sessions a day from Ted, one evening where he (and I :lol: ) lost his mind a bit. Overall if it doesn't get any worse than this next time then it really wasn't much trouble at all. However Ella has not once flirted with Ted at all, I can see how if next time she realises what is going on that it could be a lot more "fun".
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
katej215

Post by katej215 »

ClareMarsh wrote:I've been diligently updating the Lady Dog and Being on Heat thread ( https://positively.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 3&start=90 ), mostly so I have a "diary" to look back at, but also incase it helps someone else.
It's been really interesting to follow how its been going...particularly as we may well be in the same position one day.....(no time soon tho!)
ClareMarsh wrote:However Ella has not once flirted with Ted at all,
Hattie was an absolute nightmare her first season, really crying when another dog walked by...i remember one occasion this lady looking quite horrified at Hattie's carry on...obviously not realsinig she was in season...But I have to say each season (we only had 3, i'm hoping she continues to be a once a year girl), she's been more relaxed, she just appears more playful and confident than usual with other dogs...and i don't always feel i need to have her on lead...obviously depends what's around...

Great to hear you've got through relatively unscathed 8)
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

May have had a bit of a break through with OH the other evening. And it now makes sense that I just hadn't explained things thoroughly enough before. :oops:

OH was standing to the side of the trail waiting for a walker to pass by. Sirius was sitting in front of him staring intently doing her best to be irresistibly cute and get a yummy treat. The walker commented on this and OH responded, "She thinks I'm going to give her a treat." OH then proceeded to move her back onto the trail and resume walking without having given her a treat. :shock: :evil: I told him to give her a treat. I then proceeded to point out that she had given him the behavior that we want. We want her to look to us for a treat instead of barking and lunging at things. I told him to reward that behavior every time. He informed me that I could continue the chastisement later, but I think he got the point. At least temporarily. :lol:

Yesterday morning when I was walking the dogs at the park behind my house, I noticed someone had put up a little house design box on a post in front of the rec center. It identified itself as a mini library and was stuffed with paperback books. It said take a book, leave a book, read a book. I thought what a cute idea and hoped that it was secure enough to protect the books from rain.

This morning, two more book boxes had appeared. One beside the dog park and another one along a path on the side of the rec center that leads up to the pavilion and playground. When I got home, I pulled out my paperback copies of Scaredy Dog, The Other End of the Leash, and Click to Calm. Inside of the front cover, I wrote, http://www.positively.com, Community, Forum. Then I dropped the books off by the dog park on my way to work. I figure if nothing else someone might learn about the forum here. I am curious to see if any of the books are still there tomorrow morning. The book box in front of the rec center which had been full just the day before had hardly any books remaining this morning. Hopefully people will use it with the intent that it was put there for.

I am thinking that if any dominance or pack leader based literature shows up, it might have to be checked out permanently. :wink: :lol:
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
gwd

Post by gwd »

I see by the polls it seems that the 'better together' side has the lead......... that sudden cooling today must have been a result of the collective exhale from downing St. ..........

We've had almost 100 degree weather here (which is sooooo not typical) but this afternoon it finally broke and it was a comfortable 75 degrees around 4pm.
bendog

Post by bendog »

katej215 wrote:
ClareMarsh wrote:I've been diligently updating the Lady Dog and Being on Heat thread ( https://positively.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 3&start=90 ), mostly so I have a "diary" to look back at, but also incase it helps someone else.
It's been really interesting to follow how its been going...particularly as we may well be in the same position one day.....(no time soon tho!)
ClareMarsh wrote:However Ella has not once flirted with Ted at all,
Hattie was an absolute nightmare her first season, really crying when another dog walked by...i remember one occasion this lady looking quite horrified at Hattie's carry on...obviously not realsinig she was in season...But I have to say each season (we only had 3, i'm hoping she continues to be a once a year girl), she's been more relaxed, she just appears more playful and confident than usual with other dogs...and i don't always feel i need to have her on lead...obviously depends what's around...

Great to hear you've got through relatively unscathed 8)
Poppy had an incredibly messy first season, and she spent a fair amount of time humping things, but the flirting didn't kick in until the 2nd I don't think? She is RELENTLESS! We don't need the boys to tell us she's ready, she tells THEM! Ben bless him tries his best to ignore her, but Charlie will mate her even though he is neutered so they can't be alone together AT ALL,even for 5 minutes, and Charlie can jump the baby gate :roll: but they are usually ok together on walks and loose in the house together when supervised, since both boys are neutered neither are really that interested beyond a quick sniff, but sometimes I have to seperate them just because Pops will not leave them alone - flirting with them, standing and flagging, trying to straddle their head, humping etc etc etc, and if she's offering, then Charlie just can't help himself sometimes! We avoid other dogs like the plague on walks and so not really noticed much difference there.
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

SweetiePug is in the garage helping OH put a pushbike together. She's terribly helpful and I'm sure he couldn't manage without her supervision. In fact, she's alternating between pushing her little snub nose into his business, and working on a neckbone she's brought along. :lol:
Sweetie's Human

OH has just taken one of her (many) beds from the laundry into the garage so she can be comfy watching him :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Sweetie's Human wrote:OH has just taken one of her (many) beds from the laundry into the garage so she can be comfy watching him :lol:

That's lovely :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Sweetie's Human

He IS lovely! He says he'd wanted a pug for about 15 years before he was finally in a position to get one (once we bought our house) and he's so in love with her. I, on the other hand, wanted a dog to take running. But my year out due to a knee injury has proven him right. I fell in love with her within about two days, but she was definitely OH's choice of breed. We decided on an 'old' dog because we both work and in the end I went alone to meet her as OH couldn't leave work that day. He often tells me that I have the best taste in dogs :lol:
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Sweetie is SUCH a character, I feel like I know her :lol:

Well poor Ella, having almost come out of her fertile period is now poorly, diarrhoea, vomiting, to the point that we zipped off to the vet this morning to be on the safe side. She seems a bit brighter now so I'm hoping we're through the worst of it poor girl. Ted's still interested but really only if there's nothing else to do. So they're still separate because it's safer and she really doesn't need the hassle right now.
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Sweetie's Human

ClareMarsh wrote:Sweetie is SUCH a character, I feel like I know her :lol:

I know. I could say the same about Ted, Ari, Ben & Co, of course Jasper and several others! I must be portraying her just right.

Sorry to hear that little Ella is having a hard time of it. Poor girl. Sweetie sends Pug Hugs (which have magic healing powers !).

Sweetie herself has had a tick tonight, and I have had a panic :oops: and added to an old thread in the Health section. Would be grateful of any knowledgeable comments over there if anyone could check?
gwd

Post by gwd »

Sweetie's Human wrote:He often tells me that I have the best taste in dogs :lol:
It seems your taste in men is also spot on............
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I'm still feeling rotten for yelling at Jasper a couple of days ago :( In my defence, we all have a virus here, and all this plundering and looting happened as I was trying to cobble a meal together... No excuse, really though.

Yesterday afternoon we went to the woods, and as I was still feeling carp, it was lucky that we met someone with a dog he was happy to play with and wear himself out. It's rare for Jasper to play with another dog, and he was just a little bossy with this one, a GSD with a dash of collie called Wilson, but Wilson was OK with it, with lots of mutual playbows. They had a good game of chase, with Wilson chasing Jasper, then Jasper deciding to do a couple of laps of the cricket pitch just for the hell of it :D

We then wandered over to the far side of the woods where he found the stinkiest most stagnant water to cool off in. Why hadn't I headed straight back to the lovely clear stream? :lol:

I hope Ellie is feeling better soon.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009