What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Nettle »

Very nice healing
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
gwd

Post by gwd »

Been busy helping a friend with her new litter so my dogs are being neglected. Mother isn't wanting to eat so puppies are requiring tube feeding to keep them going while mom's appetite returns (and milk drops)
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

That sounds exhausting GWD. I hope momma dog perks up soon.

I have been a bad dog owner this winter. I keep sleeping through my alarm clock. I did manage to get the dogs out one morning this week, only to find the barkey boxer occupying the dog park, so we had a walk around instead. Sky hasn't had a good game of fetch or run in close to 2 months now. I do hope to get her back to scootering/bikejoring next month. Trails have been rough around here lately. We had some snow, which melted and turned to ice, so even the regulars who train several days a week had to take time off due to safety concerns. Oh has been getting the dogs out most days for a mile or so each, so I feel a little less guilty about sleeping through the alarm. We are supposed to have that wonderful wintery mix this weekend. They don't know if we will get rain, or snow, or ice, or maybe all of that combined. I don't mind the snow so much, but those other two this time of year are just miserable.

At least one of the samoyed puppies will be staying in the club. But I worry for it's future. The potential owner has an older sibling, female with a bite history. Plans seem to be to get another female from the new litter. The older female is not the only grumpy grunts in the lineage, but so far seems to be the one with the least bite inhibition. Which seems like a bad situation to bring a potentially like minded puppy into. Especially two females. I really, really hope I am wrong.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Mum had missed this afternoon's walk whilst I was at uni because the dogs were asleep. When I got home the weather was rather abysmal so she didn't want to take MiMi but Laufey still went. We only went to the park at the back of us but it was empty so I made the (brave) decision to let him off lead completely - something I've not done since making his long line. He was excellent; baring the fact that he kept eating mud. We got a couple of perfect recalls and a rather slow one because he was too busy eating :roll: if he didn't eat mud whenever he could it'd be pretty perfect
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Well done Laufey and Della! :D

Well... I DID IT!!! :D The collie who hates Jasper came tearing over to him today (along the road, with the owner doing sod all :roll: ), I put myself in between her and Jasper and yelled 'NO!! GO AWAY!!', and she turned and ran! She came back two more times, and each time I did the same (backed up by OH) and each time she ran off. Best of all, Jasper just stayed where he was and didn't react, or look scared (at least not as scared as when he's wheeling round trying to get away from her). I'm hoping he now thinks I'm even more wonderful as I can protect him from these vicious beasts :lol:

The fact that OH was doing the same, and spreading out his coat & looking either like Dracula spreading his enormous wings or (more likely) a flasher, may have helped :wink:

The owner just stared at us from the field where he was talking to some horses, and said nothing. I called out 'I'm trying a new tactic' but he probably thinks I must hate his dog with a vengeance. Nope, I'm just protecting MY dog and maybe he will realise that he should have been doing something too :roll:

In other news, Jasper threw up a whole pile of vomit in the garden this afternoon - then ate the choicest bits, then came and cleaned his gob on my jeans :lol: He seems fine in himself, but I'm wondering about the swamp water he drank in the woods yesterday....
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

JudyN wrote:Well done Laufey and Della! :D

Well... I DID IT!!! :D The collie who hates Jasper came tearing over to him today (along the road, with the owner doing sod all :roll: ), I put myself in between her and Jasper and yelled 'NO!! GO AWAY!!', and she turned and ran! She came back two more times, and each time I did the same (backed up by OH) and each time she ran off. Best of all, Jasper just stayed where he was and didn't react, or look scared (at least not as scared as when he's wheeling round trying to get away from her). I'm hoping he now thinks I'm even more wonderful as I can protect him from these vicious beasts :lol:

The fact that OH was doing the same, and spreading out his coat & looking either like Dracula spreading his enormous wings or (more likely) a flasher, may have helped :wink:

The owner just stared at us from the field where he was talking to some horses, and said nothing. I called out 'I'm trying a new tactic' but he probably thinks I must hate his dog with a vengeance. Nope, I'm just protecting MY dog and maybe he will realise that he should have been doing something too :roll:

In other news, Jasper threw up a whole pile of vomit in the garden this afternoon - then ate the choicest bits, then came and cleaned his gob on my jeans :lol: He seems fine in himself, but I'm wondering about the swamp water he drank in the woods yesterday....
Thanks Judy!! :mrgreen: Very well done at shouting at the collie! Sounds like worked excellently. Jasper's digestive pyrotechnics clearly need some work though although he did well only eating the choice bits. I do hope he's okay and the swamp water hasn't done anything too disgusting with his insides
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

delladooo wrote:Jasper's digestive pyrotechnics clearly need some work though although he did well only eating the choice bits. I do hope he's okay and the swamp water hasn't done anything too disgusting with his insides
Thanks - nothing else has come out of either end so far.... I do love 'digestive pyrotechnics' :lol: His tummy's not been quite right since his op - he's been doing lovely poos in the morning then it all goes puddle-shaped in the afternoon (that tends to be his normal pattern anyway, but the afternoon ones aren't normally that bad). I've been giving him Tree Barks powder and Canikur, but they don't seem to be helping so now I'm not sure if it's a hangover from the op (maybe the antibiotics he had) or something new :?:
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

JudyN wrote:
delladooo wrote:Jasper's digestive pyrotechnics clearly need some work though although he did well only eating the choice bits. I do hope he's okay and the swamp water hasn't done anything too disgusting with his insides
Thanks - nothing else has come out of either end so far.... I do love 'digestive pyrotechnics' :lol: His tummy's not been quite right since his op - he's been doing lovely poos in the morning then it all goes puddle-shaped in the afternoon (that tends to be his normal pattern anyway, but the afternoon ones aren't normally that bad). I've been giving him Tree Barks powder and Canikur, but they don't seem to be helping so now I'm not sure if it's a hangover from the op (maybe the antibiotics he had) or something new :?:
I confess, it's from a film I watched years ago and loved the phrase :P Afraid I can't help on the digestive issue, we're not doing so great ourselves but the course for us is too little bone (I can't find the right ratio of bone for them). A bad tummy is not good so I hope he settles down, would upping his bone help or would that just plug him up? Beyond the tree barks I can't think of anything else, it's our go-to thing whenever needed
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

delladooo wrote:would upping his bone help or would that just plug him up?
His morning poo often has little bits of bone in and is so firm it bounces - you could thread a string through and use it as a conker :lol: So his morning poo says 'more offal, less bone', whereas his afternoon poo says 'more bone, less offal' :roll: Still, he's better than when he was on kibble, where every poo was an 'Oh dear'.... and we had about 8 'Oh dear's a day :lol:
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

JudyN wrote:
delladooo wrote:would upping his bone help or would that just plug him up?
His morning poo often has little bits of bone in and is so firm it bounces - you could thread a string through and use it as a conker :lol: So his morning poo says 'more offal, less bone', whereas his afternoon poo says 'more bone, less offal' :roll: Still, he's better than when he was on kibble, where every poo was an 'Oh dear'.... and we had about 8 'Oh dear's a day :lol:
ewwww. Images of some of the poop on our local park comes to mind (seems most people around here don't clean up). I can't say as I have any ideas to help then :? but 8 times a day :shock: :shock: :shock: maybe I was just lucky with Laufey but even on kibble we got 2 a day max even if they were a bit soft
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Do you remember that very helpful vet we had on the Board a while back, who explained why this was? If not, I'll repeat what he said as it's useful to know.

JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote:Do you remember that very helpful vet we had on the Board a while back, who explained why this was? If not, I'll repeat what he said as it's useful to know.
Nope - do you mean why morning poos can be firm and afternoon poos soft? The fact that morning poos have been hanging around all night, and afternoon poos stimulated by exercise must have a lot to do with it, but the difficulty is knowing what is 'normal' soft and what is 'something's not quite right' soft. Plus, of course, there's a big difference between 'normal' and 'normal for Jasper' in more ways than just his digestion :lol:

He's bright and happy this morning anyway. He went out with OH and DS2 so I await their poo report with interest (though it's usually 'He pooed well off the track in a gorse bush so we didn't see it').
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Morning poos have had all night for the gut to soak up water, so they are harder. Afternoon poos in some dogs can be from sloppy to explosive (how I love the 'pyrotechnic' quote) for a variety of reasons, but a major contributor is the lack of time for the gut to sop up the moisture. There's no harm in it as the dog still gets rid of the waste moisture as well as solids.

Sloppy poos from illness smell different even to our inadequate himan sense of smell, and the pong range is so great that we don't even have to bend down :shock: to access it.

If you would like a really informative discourse on different types of diarrhoea, there is a little book called "Dogs and Homeopathy - The Owner's Companion" by Tony Pincus and Mark Elliott.

It's going to be great to see what the current batch of spammers make of this :lol:
Last edited by Nettle on Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

Sorry to hear about the various poop issues :|

We're back from our NZ trip. Family visit and holiday were great, but the return flight home was not :? . Two aborted landing attempts due to foul weather, followed by a holding pattern, then an admission that the control tower couldn't even see the runway :shock: , then a diversion to next town, rainy walk across lots of tarmac, delayed luggage, unanticipated train trip, then no taxis, finally a taxi home, then...... we collected Sweetie from our lovely friends who looked after her for the week :D . OH couldn't decide who was more excited - Sweetie or me (I say OH was!).

Sweetie left J & E's place with glowing reports. Apparently she was a bit stand-off-ish the first few days, which we expected, but then came out of her shell. Gave them some good giggles with her antics and was an all-round lovely puggie, apparently.

So we've been under close pug guard all day to make sure we don't leave her again :roll: .

So good to be home with my girl!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote:If you would like a really informative discourse on different types of diarrhoea, there is a little book called "Dogs and Homeopathy - The Owner's Companion" by Tony Pincus and Mark Elliott.
Illustrated, no doubt :shock:

I did notice the difference in poo odour for a few days after Jasper's op - I was just discussing with OH yesterday how his normal poos actually have a sort of 'clean' smell. I bet there's not a lot of non-raw-feeders can say that :lol:

SH, I'm glad you got down on terra firma unharmed - I have a slight fear of flying, based on my observation that heavy things tend to fall down when unsupported (oh please don't let us get ladies' undergarment spam now... :shock: ). My own experience supports the statistic that you're more likely to be involved in an accident on the way to the airport, but at least cars don't crash down from 30,000 feet up in the sky when they hit each other :lol: