What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

delladooo

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by delladooo »

Oh I do hope Jasper is feeling better now Judy. Laufey has his stitches out in the morning and I can't envision it being a pleasant experience although no where near the ordeal it could be with a less co-operative dog.

Yesterday evening Laufey "found" himself in the mirror that's currently propped against the wall in my room (it's going on the wall but I haven't got a hook for it at the minute) and he decided the logical thing to do was paw at his reflection. It was cute for about 30 seconds until I wanted to sleep and the noise was irritating. He proceeded to do the same thing this evening so I've turned it around :lol: This is clearly another of his quirks because this isn't even the first time he's seen himself in a mirror although he's never been able to get so close as to touch it before :lol: :lol:
bendog

Post by bendog »

Doing a lot of baby/child care reading at the moment and came across this:
http://bigthink.com/videos/is-your-chil ... punishment

My dogs have been frustrating this week. Heavy hail showers have meant we've not got out for walks as much as I'd like. We've been doing lots of training to make up for it, but Ben especially is being very stressy and whinging and reactive in the evenings. Evening walks are hard work because they are all more on alert after dark, and around our street there seems to be cats under every car, plus it's quite a studenty area so lots of takeaway leftovers littering the pavements which they all want to eat.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Today Sky and I spent the better part of the day walking around all of the monuments and memorials in DC. We were joined by a friend from the Samoyed club and one of her sammies. He and Sky hit it off right from the start and although there were a couple of grumbles from Sky during our excursion, most likely resource guarding, they walked very well together. They also both thought it would be a brilliant idea to chase the squirrels, and ducks, and geese, and other little birdies. We also saw a fox at one point. Fortunately the fox was far enough away to not draw the dog's interest.

Due to a little miscommunication I arrived in DC about an hour before my friend. So Sky and I walked 5 or 6 times around the Capitol reflecting pool to get started on our mileage goal. Except, my app for tracking mileage decided to play hookie and auto closed itself, so none of that distance could be counted for the intended distance. The app and my phone seem to have disagreements fairly often which is rather frustrating when one is trying to get a set distance logged in such a manner as to be able to provide a map and proof of distance traveled. Fortunately once my friend arrived, her phone was much more cooperative with the app and registered 10.5 miles as our total distance. I also checked my pedometer which is tracking my whole day's steps for the exercise challenge at work. At the end of our walk, it registered 30000+ steps or approx 15 miles for me so far on the day.

I must say, I would not have been able to complete this kind of distance before the walking challenge started at work and I got my new hiking boots. Now I need to do one more 5 mile walk with Sirius and then a 10 miler with her. Unfortunately, I don't think DC will work for her 10 miles. I am still trying to come up with a good place to take her for her 10 miler.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Good boots make such a difference, MPb. I am the Imelda Marcos of walking boots! That's a really impressive distance you covered.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Now that's something I need, a good pair of shoes to walk the dogs in. I have a tendency to go through shoes rather frequently but I hate having wet feet so once the water seeps in they have to go :( the pair that have lasted me the longest are actually a cheap pair from primark, but they are "goth boots" so I'm convinced it's the large sole that has saved them.

I took Laufey's ball on our morning walk then he could play fetch for a bit because I want a lazy day; I'm too tired for their crazy puppiness. He's no better with his ball, still going crazy for it and bouncing about wanting it :roll: but it didn't stop him still eating frozen mud. He's crazy this dog, I'm telling you. What's the appeal in frozen mud?! They're now asleep thankfully but he wasn't a happy boy whilst I was out last night apparently... I was out at a friend's 21st party but apparently he was sick about half 8 and then went back to sleep so his tea and last pee was put off. Mum took him our for "last pee" about 9.30 when he woke up and decided he needed to go but apparently wouldn't pee for ages and they wandered all over but when they got home he had a late tea and has been fine since. I felt so sorry for him when she told me but he doesn't seem bothered at all :roll:
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Brits here mention "tea" that their doggies have at the end of the day. What does that mean? A late night snack? Surely not a cup of Twinings tea..... :?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

There is a North-South divide in UK, where different words mean different things. You thought we were too small to have this, right? :lol:

North of London, 'tea' or sometimes 'high tea' is usually a hot meal of something simple such as cheese on toast, shepherd's pie, egg and chips and similar. It can also, in summer, mean salads and cold meats, bread, cheese and so on. It is an early meal about 5-6pm, followed by 'supper' which is a very light snack before bed. This is a norm.

London and below, 'tea' or more properly 'afternoon tea' is a snack of sandwiches and cakes/pastries, held any time between 3pm and 4pm, lasting about an hour. It is followed by 'dinner' which is a large hot meal of one or more courses at about 8pm (remember the song: "I get too hungry for dinner at eight...") Tea is not a norm in the south these days, but rather a treat. If no tea, dinner tends to be any time from 6pm onwards.

Tea of either kind is always served with tea to drink.

Dinner north of London is a midday meal, which is lunch, or luncheon to be absolutely correct, London and south of it.

Therefore my doggies have 'dinner' and Laufey has 'tea'.

delladooo

Post by delladooo »

:lol: showing my northern-ness there! Sleep hasn't lasted and they're now going a bit mental. They are due a walk though but I'm hungry so they'll have to wait for a while. My food schedule is awful, I tend to have breakfast, second breakfast :oops: then a late lunch and a late tea which makes things really confusing if you catch me eating the wrong moment :lol:

Edit, just got back from the aforementioned walk. Mum's at work so took them on my own. Planned on just a short on lead walk so Laufey could pee and sniff and what have you but the park was empty. I made both their leads as long as possible (ie 2m) and then just let them trail on the floor a while whilst they rang rings around each other. Laufey jumped over her a couple times because he can :roll: and ate yet more mud. MiMi had two perfect recalls which is a) better than I thought she'd do and b) better than Laufey. I don't know how we managed that I haven't really put much work into it; there's been a bit around the house but none outside so very impressed. Laufey was too busy eating the mud to care about the heart I had to give him. Now I think she needs a nap and he'll take one because he can which means I can watch the snooker as I wait for some of their food to defrost a bit then I can portion it up :mrgreen:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Jasper's stitches are out! He behaved brilliantly, helped by the magic towel wrapped round his head and me giving him a good rub and neck scratch while the vet did her stuff :wink: I'm also pleased with how well the wound has healed - there's a scar, but everything's grown back together and is as strong as ever. Now he just needs to grow some more fur :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

awww good to know he was good Judy! Let's hope he doesn't just go out and do it again though :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

That is such good news! :D Don't waste the wine and chocs though - you still deserve them.

mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

:)
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

Way to go Jasper and Judy :D
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Jasper's wound, nearly two weeks after he did it - it would look even better if I cleaned off the bits of dried blood :oops:

Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Looking very good there Jasper and Judy. :D
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.