What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

minkee

What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by minkee »

I think the other thread has reached breaking point! So here's a new one. Today me and the pups are going to be relaxing because we had agility last night. Scout, of course, is a complete natural, especially at the level that we're doing - everyone is new so we're the most advanced.

Breeze was having a tough time because a new black lab turned up who he was very unsure about. He does everything with aplomb when he's not worrying about the other dogs though. He's a natural at the A-frame!
Swanny1790

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Swanny1790 »

Trish is planning to take Just and Chetan to the vet clinic today. Just is getting his sutures and staples removed, and Chetan is scheduled for a vaginal smear for estrus timing. Dr. May also needs the paperwork needed to have the frozen semen for her artificial insemination shipped to Alaska from Minnesota. Meanwhile, I'm still at work for one more week.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Went for a jog with (Ned) Kelly to the dog park today, to practise and play on the Agility equipment (practising walking up the ramp backwards for fun). Picked some Passionfruits on the long shortcut home.

She's doing well now after developing a limp a while back. I was stressing a little bit but the Vet said she had developed a Hotspot under the right back foot. A good clean under the foot, and short-ish course of anti-inflammatories and anti-biotics cleared it up no probs :) . Stay Safe.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Odd that the other thread seems to think it no longer exists... but probably time we had a new one. Shall we have this one pinned?
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

Today I took the day off, for no particular reason, and lounged in the garden with Pepper. Ive decided I should do this more often :)
Pictures of Pepper viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14364
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Hi. RE:Pinned or not? I'll vote 1 for not pinned. I personally like to see threads move up the list when new posts are added.
:)
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

Tonight I discovered that Sweetie, who is normally fine with TV noises, HATES Julia Childs' voice. :lol: Every time I hit play, she would come over and huff and puff at me until I paused it :lol:

Don't think I'll bother conditioning her for that because it's such a specific thing - I'll just wear headphones.

Tickled my funny bone though!
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Aw Sweetie is a gem :D .

I have a strange but funny story about my morning walk but I'm not sure if it's suitable for a family friendly forum in that it features a man with eh, well, eh an "interest" in ladies feet :shock:
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

You can't leave us in suspense now, WufWuf! Use euphemisms, I'm sure we'll get the gist :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

WufWuff - um, you aren't REALLY going to leave us hanging like that, are you?
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

I'll give it a shot, I wish I had your story telling skills Judy I just don't think I'm going to do it justice.

I went into the park this morning to use the bin and a little yorkie boy who I've met before came to say hello, he's adorable, around 7 months and he thinks Honey is AMAZING. She was happy with his attention and his owner was walking around with a Kerry Blue on lead. I put Honey on her long line as I didn't want her running off to "say hello", I've only met the male owner of Marley (the yorkie) and this lady was a little distance away (it's a very small park and most people do laps) I moved onto the grass at the back of the park to do some tricks with Honey and this lady came around again and took out her phone - She was calling the vet to see if she could get the KB scanned as she had found him tied to the gate. A large bloke had at this point made his way over to her and she asked him if it was his dog "no I just came over to you"

I should point out that this lady looked like something out of an early ninties music video, beautiful, tall, hair slicked back, high waisted red trousers, tiny vest top, bright red lipstick, move star sunglasses so I figured he was feeling the same way Marley was feeling about Honey :wink: .

I shouted over to ask if the dog was male (as there's a couple of female KB's that are regulars in the park) I didn't want to get closer as I know KB's are often not great with other dogs. She said "yeah male blah blah blah" and this guy is waffeling away but neither of us are listening as we're trying to figure out what's going on the the KB, she said "he's there 2 hours" I said hmm I was here an hour ago with the yorkies I'm dog sitting and he defo wasn't in the park.

At this point I remembered meeting this large bloke a good while back and thinking that he's not the full shilling, he'd put you in mind of someone who'd mother took heroin while pregnant, he's late 20's early 30's and I'd seen him chatting to other locals so thought sure he must be ok so.

It's very distracting so she moves onto the grass and he follows her :roll: I didn't realise that Honey had more of the lead than I would've liked and she bounces over to say hello to the lady, just reach's the end of the length she had and KB launches himself at her, he can't reach her but hes pulling this lady and telling Honey he's going to eat her allll up and Honey is cursing and shaking her tiny fists at the him :roll: I get her back to me and I say "woah - that's really not good, she's a girl dog he should not be going after he like that" (while shoveling chicken into Honey's gob) The guy is still inbetween us yammering on and I realise that the little yorkie boy is making his way over to his mammy, he's one of those tiny fragile yorkies and I have visions of him being crushed in one bite so I start calling him to me, his mammy starts calling him to her :roll: and of course he goes to move to his mammy and the KB rears up trying to go after him, little Marley has some sense and comes over to me.

This guy is still talking $hite, the lady is a bit flapped so after a bit of humming and haaing I suggest that I keep Marley with me while she goes to vet with the KB as it's clear she can't take the 2. She starts to come closer to me :roll: so I told her I had a spare lead, don't bring the KB near Honey, I'll get her dog on lead and wait there (vets is around the corner from park).

Off she goes... now it's just me and him :shock: . I'm trying to focus on the dogs as Marley is now on a short lead and Honey a long line, he thinks she's yummy and I can see he's about to make a move on her, this guy will just not stop yammering on ...

"I've got 2 staffies and an American Pit bull terrier at home, people think they should all be killed blah blah blah" "I had a rottie and a GSD but we had to keep them in a shed as they wanted to kill my uncle" "I saw a guy have his face torn up by a rottie cause he kept getting up in it's face" "I bought my mother slippers in town but they were the wrong size" please shut up and go away.... "that lady has big feet so she sat down on the bench and put her feet up to my mam's to see what size they were" hmm ok this an odd turn, I'm still trying to occupy the dogs Honey does not like hanging around in the park and I wanted to keep her in a good place so she was getting chicken for doing tricks and I'm trying to stop Marley wrapping us all up in his lead as he cries about wanting to put the moves on Honey.

"I didn't know it was actually a thing but you can look it up on the internet "foot comparison"" :? What the h3ll is this guy talking about... "Yeah you can get loads of videos of girls measuring their feet on the interent" UH OH alarm bells... " they do all sorts with their feet" oh no oh no where the fudge is this bloody lady I need to get out of here. This guy was a BIG chap and I just wanted to diffuse him but I'm getting more and more uncomfortable as I'm wearing a summer dress that's not very covered in the chest department and bending over to 2 little dogs so I manage to get him off the subject of feet, onto what I've no idea but I still feel like he just wants to get back to the important subject... Whatever about a low cut dress at least I'm not wearing open toe shoes.

Finally joy oh joy I see a pair of red trousers in the distance and have to lean over at this guys feet (please please people teach your dogs to communicate I'm sick of dogs who can't "talk") to unclip the yorkie so that I can flee (shudder)

I go over to the lady, she says he's chipped to the breeder so the vet's keeping him for now. Phew... uh oh here he is... "she's got really big feet" (to glamorous lady) :shock: well she's a good country girl so she just stops short of giving him a slap and says "BOY you never say that to a woman" in a half joking mostly serious voice. I back her up and say you can't say that (but I know something she doesn't know...) We start to talk about our dogs briefly as Honey is saying hello to her and he says "would you mind comparing them" she says "sure no bother" :shock: :shock: :shock: (she thinks he's talking about the dogs) "would you sit down to do it" and I'm saying "NO, no way, not happening, I'm not taking my shoes off, it's not going to happen, there's no way I'm taking my shoes off, I'm going" Lady says :shock: "what's he saying..." The only thing I could think to say to get it across to her so I could get the h3ll out of there was ""Gut fefish". !!! "jesus boy, get out of that" "NO, NO, NO" as he's still saying "ah go on, go on it'll only take a minute" :shock: as we are clearly running away at this point he shouts at us "I was only messing" :roll:

On the way to the gate I explain and she says jaysus, I thought he was going to steal my dog not that he was a weirdo. We turned to see where he was and he was sitting on a bench with some poor elderly lady - I guess a foots a foot :roll: .

I'm not sure if I should report him to someone but really what the fu(k would I say? I texed the chi x's owner to tell her not to listen to any stories about mammy's slippers and she said he tried his spiel on her sister on Monday. I think I might just have keep an eye out for some of the local blokes and tell them what's going on, maybe they could have a word in his ear.
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

Well told, Wufwuf. Honest, I'm laughing WITH you, not at you.

It takes all kinds to make a world, I suppose. Still, if he's being a pest (it sounds like he is) it probably wouldn't hurt to give the cops a "heads up". Odds are if an officer chats him up for just a bit he'll wander off and find a new place to troll. Heck, maybe he'll get a job at a shoe store.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Blimey Claire, I'm not sure if that's hilarious or terrifying! :shock: :lol: Well, it's certainly hilarious... but personally, I would report him to the police. If he has a 'thing' (not wanting to attract the spammers there) of any sort, it is not at all appropriate to ask strangers to oblige him, any more than it would be appropriate for him to ask them to reveal other parts of their anatomy.

Plus, if he is weird enough to do that, he could be weird enough to take it one step (no pun intended :lol: ) further, though I have no idea what that step might be :?:
Swanny1790 wrote:if an officer chats him up for just a bit ...
He'd love that. Because as everyone knows, policemen have REALLY big feet :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Swanny1790 wrote:It takes all kinds to make a world, I suppose
Ah yeah a lid for every pot n' all that, I've no problem with him having a particular "interest" but as Judy said
JudyN wrote:it is not at all appropriate to ask strangers to oblige him, any more than it would be appropriate for him to ask them to reveal other parts of their anatomy.
I REALLY don't even know what on earth I'd say to the Gardai (great example of our Gardai, also it's hilarious http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YwQ9mRyBjc) jaysus I can imagine the comments in the station and I don't think they'd take it all that seriously.
JudyN wrote:Plus, if he is weird enough to do that, he could be weird enough to take it one step (no pun intended :lol: ) further, though I have no idea what that step might be :?:
That's what I was thinking too Judy - he's very intense and very very peristant, I gave the edited version for the sake of brevity. As he doesn't seem to mind who's feet he sees (his mothers will do from what I could gather :shock: :shock: Should I call him Norman I wonder :wink: ) I was worried about some of the more vunerable ladies such as the older lady he sat down with after I escaped. They might not cop what was happening and end up in a situation they would not be comfortable with.

I rarely ever see Gardai around the place so I'd have to go to the station or ring and I doubt they'd be interested "sure tis only a foot" would be the attitude I'm guessing :roll:.
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

I had to google up "Gardai". Oh, basically Irish cops. See, I learned something new today.

Trish took Just and Chetan in to the vet clinic yesterday. Just got his sutures removed and Doc May is pleased that he's healing nicely. We'll need to watch him closely and if he develops any more lumps probably put him on a relatively low dose of prednisone. That seems a reasonable approach for an older dog that is not likely to respond to either chemo or radiation. Meanwhile, he's really happy to be back in the "general population" of the dog yard.

Chetan had her first progesterone test - still quite low so she'll go in for the next one on Friday. Her timing will determine the timing of having the frozen semen shipped up from Minnesota for our planned AI. I'm guessing she'll ovulate while I'm home on R&R, probably within a day or two either way of my birthday. That would be a cool birthday present, wouldn't it?

Meanwhile, the weather here at work has been overcast, foggy, wet and buggy. Here's a photo taken of an NPS ranger at Gates of the Arctic National Park, just a few miles south of my workplace.