What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by JudyN »

That sounds really good, Shalista! Yay for a chilled Bax!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yay for your Dad who has been working on being a good Gran'pa. Bax has paid him a great compliment.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

We were walking on a narrow path in the woods this morning when we met a lab who barked, and barked, and barked at Jasper from point-blank range. You know the sort - 'He wouldn't hurt a fly, he just likes to make himself heard' :roll: Jasper was quite intimidated but wanted to stand his ground. For some reason I always forget to get in between the dogs, and went off to the side of the path calling Jasper. He didn't want to budge, but then he spotted a spaniel further up the path. He roared at it, and set off after it into the trees. He did come back when I whistled, but not before I'd heard the spaniel shriek :shock:

I got him on lead and managed to find the spaniel's owner, apologised profusely, and explained what had triggered it. She was fine, and said the spaniel was absolutely fine too (they often scream when no contact has been made). But it was a clear cut example of the bullied wimpy dog picking on someone smaller than himself to make him feel better and more macho.

We had an 'interesting' situation last night too. After tea, the cat, M, was hovering as he could smell ham, so I gave him a bit, and then put a couple of plates down for J to 'prewash'. They only had bits of salad, coleslaw & hummous on them and M is nervous of J, so I wasn't expecting M to go up to one plate and start licking it while J was licking the other one. Neither was J... when he lifted his head to turn to the second plate and saw M at it, his face was a picture. He really didn't know what to do. And I was worried, because though in general he thinks possession is 10/10ths of the law, the plates were right next to each other and he might still think of both as his.

I didn't want to grab M from right next to him in case he wanted to guard M's plate from me... with his quirky brain and an unusual situation I didn't want to second-guess what might be going on in his head. So I chucked a treat to move him away from the plates, then grabbed M and put him out of the room.

Still, it's good to see M is still gaining in confidence - it's only taken 7 years to get to this stage :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

A damp-armpits moment for sure with M and J - but you managed beautifully. I was going to say "effortlessly" but it wasn't, was it? :lol:

As for the other incident - is there some kind of support group where we can all join and make hate statements about the " he wouldn't hurt a fly" kind of owners? And if there isn't, do you think we should start one? :twisted:

JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Haha! I think I'm a member of the 'He won't harm your dog physically, but he could scar him for life mentally' group. Though I'm well outnumbered by the 'But your dog can't hurt mine because he's muzzled' group.

Another funny thing this morning. I popped into the post office and there was a gorgeous large malamute (?) who was a trainee balance dog for his owner, who had MS. We chatted for a while in the queue, and then the malamute owner went to be served. A woman in the queue behind me said to her friend 'That dog stinks.'

Now, the dog was young and very clean-looking, and I hadn't noticed any smell whatsoever. Which got me to thinking... do I no longer notice the smell of dog? Does my dog smell? Or... do I, and/or my ancient dog-walking coat smell? :shock:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

maybe you're getting to that age, JudyN :lol: :oops: :lol:

Mals are gorgeous to look at but the temperament is not what I'd choose for any kind of assistance dog.

Ian Dunbar had one called Omaha, as he kept getting told you couldn't train them and wanted to prove you (he) could. The dog's nickname was Ohm - as in 'a single unit of resistance'.

JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote:The dog's nickname was Ohm - as in 'a single unit of resistance'.
Oh I love it :lol:

I did wonder about the suitability of the breed. He did seem calm though, and was friendly towards me and thought my pockets smelt nice. Though his owner said he was a 'screamer' - she fell once and landed on his paw and she had to sit there cuddling him for ages before he calmed down and shut up.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Amadeus would NEVER cut it as a service dog of any sort. Very contrary...if you don't make him think something was his idea, he is highly unlikely to do it. And absolutely zero food or toy motivation, except as something to guard. :roll: Of course, he's the only malamute I know and his breeding wasn't...well, I wouldn't have bought a dog from them. So maybe not a fair representation of the temperament.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I met a friend in the woods this morning - the sort of friend where you know their dog's name but not theirs :lol: She was out for a run, but without her gorgeous deerhound pup (a bit under a year?) with her. The dog had had an operation on her shoulder as the joint wasn't formed properly and was in week two of 6 weeks being confined to a single room.

So she'd doing wall of death around the room, leaping around, twisting, and so on which is exactly the sort of movement that caused her a problem beforehand. I really don't understand why vets don't recommend sedate lead walks instead - she's get far more stimulation but be moving in a straight line at a sensible speed - as my friend's going to point out to her vet at the next check-up.

Anyway, I've done my good samaritan bit and lent her my collection of Nina Ottoson activity toys which hopefully will help.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Oh yes. I had to do the same thing with Delta after he hurt his neck last year - mild sedation (too clumsy on higher doses) and harnessed leash walks, or he'd make his own dangerous bouncy fun. :P I hope she can find a balance that's suitable for her pup!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Yes, I was thinking of Delta as I remembered you had used your judgement and 'interpreted' the vet's instructions!
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

i think bax would explode into a furry mushroom cloud if he didnt get his walks in O.o
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Same here. A controlled walk is far better than blatting round the house!

Also it is SO important to keep the mental health in mind. A dog with an injury isn't "ill" the way a dog with an infection is. There is no desire to be still and quiet. We wise dog owners do have to interpret.

Erica

Post by Erica »

And interpret wisely -- the Nina toys and most food puzzle toys are great for injured legs, but an injured neck shouldn't be encouraged to nose around things. But sniffing things on a walk can be done with minimal neck movement!
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I'm so happy! Bax has recently rediscovered toys! His interest in them waxes and wanes but last night he cheerfully disemboweled a toy. Luckily I have a few I've bought that he hasn't been interested in so today I played with him with a new little one and he's having a blast <3
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13