What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

WufWuf

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by WufWuf »

JudyN wrote:I feel exhausted just reading that! :lol:
Judy the nap didnt last and she's pretty sure I should be doing (more) tricks with her :roll: she's now lying down but popping her head up at practically every word or move and I'm all out of steam for her Royal Terrierness :lol: She's had her food budget too so I can't even make her a puzzle or give her a bone to keep her quite. I wouldn't change her for the world though :P
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

WufWuf wrote:I wouldn't change her for the world though :P
I much prefer Jasper's idea of a lively evening :wink:

I don't know why his head has to go on the floor. Probably so he can moan about being a poor hard-done by thing whose bed isn't big enough :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

JudyN wrote:I much prefer Jasper's idea of a lively evening :wink:
Ha ha he's got the right idea (though not sure about the head on floor part.. maybe later :lol: )

She's finally shut up and gone to bed 8)
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

WufWuf wrote:She's finally shut up and gone to bed 8)
Nope no I was wrong :mrgreen:
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

WufWuf wrote:
WufWuf wrote:She's finally shut up and gone to bed 8)
Nope no I was wrong :mrgreen:

:lol:
bendog

Post by bendog »

WufWuf wrote:Living with a dog who was as shut down as Honey means that she's constantly changing now that she's well on the road to recovery. She's hilarious and so sweet she'd melt your teeth but she's got the ability to be a total pain in the butt too :twisted:

I think I've finally gotten her to knock it off for a bit after she spent most of today (post nearly 2 hour walk and a bit of a game when she got home) saying "can we play? oh you're busy I'll just bump that bit of your back that's exposed with my little cold nose and then when you turn around .... I'll hump your arm with a great big grin on my face... then play tug ... and hump the blanket/teddy... then you again :P more tug please please please and some rubs. Now it's time for lunch kong :D NOW NOW NOW. Rub me Rub me... Your're making your lunch ok I'd best growl and bark at things you can't hear and give you slidy eyes to see if you're distracted enough to chuck me something to shut me up :mrgreen: Ok walk now... nope don't want to go that way or that way I want to go eat the cat poop or shout at the neighbour dog if he's in his window losing his mind :roll: ok let's go home now.. play time again maybe... ah little food puzzle yum yum ok Mammy I'll lie down now :D phew :D
Sounds kind of like our day!
Boys have a mad bounce around playing in the morning. Then 40 mins of scentwork games (find the toy) taking turns. Then 5-10 mins of "quickfire" tricks - sit, down, roll over, beg, high five, down, sit, spin etc in rapid succession. Plus some "on" and "off" the sofa, and some "settle on the sofa while one of the others does tricks" practice and some games of tug for the boys. Then car ride and 45 min walk on canal. Then bark at the postman. Then lunch kongs. Then another 45 min walk over the fields. Then frozen lamb spine for dinner. Then Poppys "humpy time" - mostly trying to hump Bendog which is discouraged. Then cuddles on the sofa. Then another mini walk for Poppy & Sashdog for a wee and a leg stretch. Then more cuddles and tummy rubs.

They are all settled now, but as soon as I move they will all follow incase anything interesting might be about to happen.

Sash on the other hand has some cuddles this morning, 3 short wee/sniffing walks, a snooze on the bed upstairs, a potter around the garden, a game of "find the peanut butter Kong under a pile of old duvets" (she LOVES this), bones for dinner, a brush and massage, a Nina Ottosen puzzle, and has now taken herself back upstairs to sleep some more :roll:
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Bendog can you imagine if we had quiet dogs, we wouldn't know what to do with ourselves :lol:

I probably should have mentioned that all attempts to hump me were redirected to toys :wink:

Finally I found Aniseed in a Brazilan shop in town, I was so happy I wanted to babble at the lady like a loon but I resisted and left clutching my 2 little bottles like Golem :mrgreen: Honey is very interested so they shall be ground up and added to my next batch of cookies.
gwd

Post by gwd »

WufWuf wrote:Finally I found Aniseed in a Brazilan shop in town,
. I also add it to the water when I simmer the liver. The dogs seem to really go for it.
WufWuf wrote:
I was so happy I wanted to babble at the lady like a loon but I resisted and left clutching my 2 little bottles like Golem
Did you happen to murmur, 'my precious'???? :lol:
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

gwd wrote:I also add it to the water when I simmer the liver. The dogs seem to really go for it.
Thanks gwd :D I thought of you saying that eariler but I'm too impatient to wait until I'm making liver cake* (I dry kidney and heart raw) and I'm simmering some blackberries for cookies so I ground some up and add it to them :D Mr Wuf gave her a couple of seeds earlier and she snuffled them up good 'o, seeing as she's not a labrador I took that as a good sign 8) .
gwd wrote:Did you happen to murmur, 'my precious'???? :lol:
I murmured my Irish X-Rated version of that so yeah :P

*tomorrow :oops: :lol:
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

The aniseed smell is filling my flat and I'm totally having flashbacks to my childhood and aniseed balls, reminds me of my Dad, it's really nice :D
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Aniseed is what licorice is made from.

How does it work for dogs? Does it calm them?

I know I am late to the "party".

And Judy, Jasper reminds me of my husband in late evening (except head on the floor). He gets up so early in the morning that he is snoring WITH THE TV going.

Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
Erica

Post by Erica »

I took Opal to the NC Pride festival today for fun and to meet with some friends. Opal was absolutely stellar - there were many dogs, tons of people, and lots of unusual outfits - ball-gown like creations, flag capes, people with a sea anemone of balloons strapped to their back...she barely blinked an eye. In fact, the most disturbing thing to her were the sewer grates :lol: and she always hates those. I'm just trying to imagine what she would have been like three years ago...it would have been wild. She just went with my friend and me and let people pet her...not many people asked first but she wouldn't walk over to people until I said "go say hi."

Delta was passed out asleep at home, having had a sleepover at another house the night before. (I am soooo glad I don't have to walk down and up TWO flights of stairs *every* night for potty breaks.) He is outgrowing his crate though! For now I'm just going to use his expen; we have a plastic crate that will be perfect but first we need to clean it up a bit. It is oooold.

After coming home from the other house, I took him and Opal for an off-leash walk on the woods trail. We ran into Dobby and his mum right at the beginning.

Got back from that, and then a bit later it was time for puppy class. One of the assistant trainers noted that he would be a good prospect for a therapy dog - I'd just have to find an organization that allows raw-fed dogs. I know his breeder has produced several great therapy dogs before. :) During play time, Delta made friends with a big rottie puppy. He was just too cute! Sadly it was their last week...and also the last week of the two other pups he got along best with (social butterfly of a fluffy something, and a standard tan-with-black-mask, floppy ears, short fur shelter dog).

The trainer is mixing up classes again to get the size/temperament mixes working well. :) We'll see what next week is like!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

My dogs minded the house whilst I went to work ON A SATURDAY...

Actually Womble, Errol and then Kelda and Dilly went over the fields to kill the latest flirt pole, Ellie and Rocky trundled round the block with me (Rocky mainly rode my scooter, hopping off to pee on things which I kindly pull up close to for him! spoilt much?)...

And then I dragged my behind to far flung places (Redditch) to see a teeeeeeeeeeeeny weeeeeeeeeeeeny fluffy dot.. German Spitz, bit of a cowardy custard who bites people he doesn't like... when their backs are turned! Hes a master at pretending he's confident but really, not so much, very much mr clingy-i-need-my-mummy! He moved in on my lap and decided I was a permanent addition to the household, and had a tantrum that involved twirling and spinning and yapping when I left!

Got home and all my dogs gave me the usual sniff routine then doggy evil-eyes cos I smell of Other Dogs - I swear Errol knows when I've been cheating on him with another cowardy custard bitey floofypants! He climbed on my lap tonight (normally hes a daddys boy) and sat right up in my face, all IM YOUR COWARDY CUSTARD BITEY FLOOFYDOG MUMMY! I AM! ...

Might be anthropomorphising slightly. :)
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

Poor Trish had SUCH a morning. She tried breaking up the ice on one of the dog's water tubs with the heel of her boot. That didn't work too well, so she grabbed an ice chisel instead. MY favorite razor-sharp, cut a hole in ice fast to water the dogs ice chisel. (Her favorite is so dull you could ride the edge to Boston and back, but it's heavy enough to batter the ice into submission, more or less). Of course my razor sharp ice chisel broke through the surface ice without any problem at all, leaving a tidy little hole. Being wielded with the force necessary to batter heavy winter ice into submission, it kept on traveling through the water and broke through the bottom of the galvanized water tub, leaving a tidy little hole. Actually, it was a tidy hole big enough to drain the water from the tub in less than a minute.

The story get's better, though. Her next task was to scoop the yard (which we do twice each day). As usual, the result was a 5 (U.S.) gallon pail full of putrid puppy poo. When she tried to fling the poo from the pail the handle on the pail broke, unbalancing both the pail and my lovely wife, flinging poo pretty much everywhere except on the proper poo pile.

After her shower (yep, it was that bad) she ventured into town in search of a replacement tub. Those things are HARD to find nowadays. It took three stops at three different hardware stores to find a replacement, and it was pretty darned pricey to boot. It sounds like I'll be able to repair the poo pail when I get home.

She claims that Seamus and Animosh were watching, and laughing, the entire time.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

:lol: :lol:
Very serious folks, without sense of humor, ought to find dog ownership quite a stressful thing!