What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Shalista »

came up with a brilliant (imho) idea to get bax to like the car. we're going car camping! ive put down hthe back seat and have loads of room to spread out and im gonna pile in blankets to lay on. its gonna be coolish for the next few weekends so i figure we'll sleep i nthe car and then i can clip bax on a nice 50ft or so long lead to run around. we'll eat hot dogs and sit around the campfire and chill and with bax SLEEPING in the car maybe he'll get used to it?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

That sounds like an excellent plan, Shalista - I hope it works!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I spotted what looked like a livid red patch in Jasper's groin yesterday, but it's well tucked up between his inner thighs and his boy bits and he got rather grumpy when I tried to investigate. So this morning on the field in the woods, while he was distracted by mugging a group of fellow dog walkers for treats, I got down to peer underneath.

All of a sudden he shrieked, and leapt about 8' away, nearly bowling me over in the process :shock: 'Did you touch his collar?' I asked the Chief Treat Fairy, who was looking a little shocked. 'Yes - I grabbed hold of it to keep him still and make it easier for you,' he said. He won't be doing that again! :lol:

I had been worried that he had some nasty fungal infection caused by the heat and I'd have to persuade him to let me put cream on it. But it looked a darker purple this morning so I'm guessing either it's a reaction to an insect bite which will hopefully fix itself, or a bruise - not that he's been charging through a lot of bushes recently. It could also explain why he had no energy at all on yesterday's morning walk and spent most of it snoozing on the field.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Bax got complimented on his claws today. i took him in cause he hasnt had them trimed in at least two months and she said they were already short! apparently just a mile every day o nthe sidewalk has kept them nice and filed!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

For the first time ever, Jasper's been 'properly' set upon by another dog :( We were walking past a woman with a Border terrier & a collie cross, the BT said hello to Mr R and then she and J greeted each other nicely. The collie x came up and barked a bit - 'Back off mate, she's my girl' - and then the BT went for J. He wheeled away and backed off screaming, then stood a few yards away holding his foot up, still shrieking. The woman ('she's never done that before, she usually loves big dogs' apparently) hung around while I checked J over and not finding anything, I concluded that he'd tweaked a muscle when wheeling around. Later though, when he was still hobbling and not happy, I had another look and found what I think are grazes from her teeth in his armpit. I'm pretty sure they're not punctures but I'll keep an eye on them.

He wanted to go home straight away and is pretty shaken up and obviously sore. I'm a bit worried he'll be reluctant to go to the woods again which is a pain as there's nowhere else close by with shade and water.

Assuming the woman was being honest about this being totally out of character for her dog, I wonder what triggered it - I wondered if it was his muzzle, but then she was fine before the collie came over. Maybe what was out of character was the collie's behaviour, and the BC was just reacting to his reaction. Or maybe J reacted to the collie x's reaction and she reacted to J's reaction.... I didn't see J putting a foot wrong but these things happen so fast.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

I hope J heals quickly and doesn't suffer any emotional issues from his encounter.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Thank you MPb :D

He's a poor thing all round really. This has come on top of his corn, the red patch in his groin (which is fading) and an eye infection - he's had a slightly gloopy eye before but this time the gloop is cream-coloured so we may end up back at the vet's tomorrow. He's rather quiet this morning but that might be because it's pouring down and he doesn't want to go out!

Weather permitting, I'll avoid the woods altogether for a few days in the hope he'll put yesterday's incident behind him.
JoanneF

Post by JoanneF »

We are up to very little today - I think I have broken a toe. We have two new chairs, larger than the ones they replaced, so I misjudged them yesterday and stubbed my little toe so hard it was sticking out at an angle. I tried to walk Timber this morning but only got a few yards so Mr F has had to take over dog walking duties for now. :|
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Oh, ouch!! :shock: :( Is it pointing in the right direction now? I've never broken a toe but knowing how painful a stubbed toe can be I should think it's excruciating. My guess would be that if it's still out of line it would need a good yank, otherwise just the usual RICE (I know this stuff, I watch 24 Hours in A&E :wink: :lol: ).
JoanneF

Post by JoanneF »

Thanks - I taped it to the next toe (which is about all that can be done) and it hurts a lot but is bearable as long as I don't do anything daft. Like standing up. :mrgreen:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Wine will help. Chilled, to dip your toe in.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I've broken toes in the past. If you re-tape, put some folded kitchen paper between the toes before you strap them, and then you won't get damp sweaty peeling skin to add to your troubles.

Hurts like hell, I know. Hope you feel better soon. Might be time for extra chocolate.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

lets be honest, its ALWAYS time for extra chocolate :wink:
JoanneF

Post by JoanneF »

Thank you all for the brilliant tips - even the one that involves no wine and chocolate! The bruising is spreading out and it feels a bit better today, I may try a hobble out later but Mr F is promoted to chief dog walker for now.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Trying to post. Keep getting told I have to login even though I was logged in. Anybody else having this problem?
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.