What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Shalista »

If I stand up, he'll know his destruction worked to get my attention. If I stay seated, the box gets destroyed. Decisions decisions.
My solution is always let him chew. he destroyed 2 shims the other day and the only thing i thought of was "hmmm if i bought another box would he chew those to and keep him occupied for a few minutes?"

Any time bax is cheerily chewing something i dotn A) need or B) will kill him, is a time i let him chew what he pleases. (also the number of thigns that fit into the "A" category shrinks every day)
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Love the look of that toy Judy, will have to see if I can get hold of it somewhere cheaper. Not sure the partner would agree to another £25 on another puzzle given the amount we've bought recently. :lol: Think we've spent close to £300 on Merlin since his neuter on puzzles, toys & chews in an attempt to keep my sanity in check during bed rest. This is the situation where a puzzle library would be perfect!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

You can't put too high a price on your sanity, LoQ :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Removed
Last edited by Lotsaquestions on Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I thought he showed brilliant impulse control actually! He listened to you, he calmed down once the people he marked at had disappeared, he didn't throw wobblies when you wouldn't let him go where he wanted, he didn't go for his fluffy toy till you said he could, he didn't get overexcited and bounce around like a kite in a high wind... Any self-respecting young dog is going to pick up random stuff if he has the chance, particularly if not getting as much stimulation and exercise as normal.

I'm not sure if you have excessively high expectations, or I just have particularly low ones based on Jasper :lol: But I wouldn't want him to be walking nicely to heel the whole way round a walk, even just most of the time.

I think it'd be better if there was somewhere you could take him that had more sniffing potential - like a nice secluded overgrown lane - but I guess that's not possible without bumping into other dogs with no escape route.

You're both doing great - and he has the most adorable fluffy bum :D
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Maybe I am being too hard on him! Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees, and you ignore the good and focus on 'that time he barked at...'

He is usually a bit more sprinting left to right, but because his leg is hurting he's slowed it down a touch. He does love to stop and stare at things though, and god help us if we see a dog or a squirrel! Pre neuter he was an absolute bugger for pulling at his lead, he's managed to calm that down since loosing his bits and pieces thankfully.

His fluffy toy is my shield. If he gets frustrated he goes for the toy to get his frustration out. Before the toy he would just sulk on the floor or, if he was really frustrated or upset, jump up at me or bite my legs :(. He also loves the toy to death so we bought a new pocket sized version too. It was that toy that helped crack his recall in the end. :lol: Sheepskin tug toy from Tug E Nuff. He loves the toy more than food, which I never thought possible!

We are short on sniffing areas around near me. Every potential area that is nice for dogs is just full of dogs because they are so few. Downside of living in the city. :cry:

I do love him though, and I've forgiven him for today when he was asleep at my feet whilst I cooked his brand new dinners. I will have to get a dog harness for the gopro, he goes into the boggy bit to hunt for squirrels at the local nature reserve. All we see is a fluffy tail dissapearing, would love to know what he sees!
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Swans are mean!

Took Merlin for a walk, saw a swan in the middle of the field. We put him on a lead, kept his attention with treats, totally minding out own business. Merlin wasn't barking (he's totally neutral to swans for some reason) so no provocation. Then out of nowhere the swan charged full pelt at my mother! Merlin went bonkers, mum ran off, we all made a sharp exit.

Then later he went for a paddle, totally ignoring the swans again. They swam over to him from accross the lake and went for him! Needless to say I don't think he's swan neutral anymore. :lol:

Moral of the story; never trust a swan. Wish I had my gopro on me!
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

"Never trust a swan" are wise words to live by.

puppy padding is going AMAZING and working exactly as intended. I literally did recarpet with puppy pads (srry for the siedways pic)

and he hasnt gone outside of them! he's peed AND pooped on them multiple times and (Best of all) hasn't gone outside of that room (which hed done a few tiems before i took such drastic measures)

he still whines to go out for a walk at his usual times (when he wakes up, when i get home from work, before bed) but if he has to go any time in between he toddles off to his potty room.

Im gonna give it a few weeks/months and then start taking away the pads one at a time and try to narrow them down to just one.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Looks like my dog toy library might never leave the ground... Insurance is the problem, I'd need a 'bespoke' package because it's unique (to my knowledge), and bespoke costs. Ionically, I need much less cover than standard packages which would actually be cheaper. The insurance could easily cost more than I'd take :roll:
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

It's official iv picked up my next foster dog he's a 4 and a half year old Giant schnauzer. And I'm in love as some of you may know my very first post was about my heart breed the Giant schnauzer.

So far he's fantastic main issues is that he can be reactivate with cars and for some reason hates going near gates other than that he's great. He's not up for adoption yet as the rescue want to get him neutered first and I'm working with the trainer they use. He's fed on applaws dry. He was handed over as his owners have got divorced and they couldn't agree on who should have him as they both wanted him but without having to see each other so they thought the kindest thing to do was to re-home him. Mom has told me to not get attached as she still wants us get what we decided on.

I decided to continue to foster as I get the chance to get proper hands on experience while helping dogs find new homes. I decided to not voulenteer at the rescue anymore as all I was allowed to do was walk the dogs were fostering instead gives me that hands on experience I want to gain mainly in training as well :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

The gate fear may indicate that at some stage he has lived with an invisible electric fence. You can desensitise him but it will take time.

Enjoy your learning curve.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Nettle wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:32 am The gate fear may indicate that at some stage he has lived with an invisible electric fence. You can desensitise him but it will take time.

Enjoy your learning curve.
Thanks nettle I'm looking forward to helping him overcome his fears and finding him a new home :D . I know the rescue said he was wearing a shock collar when he came in :evil: .
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

ZaraD wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:38 amHe was handed over as his owners have got divorced and they couldn't agree on who should have him as they both wanted him but without having to see each other so they thought the kindest thing to do was to re-home him.
How on earth can removing him from both the people he lived with be the kindest thing to do? :shock: But anyway, that's not relevant now - good luck with him ZaraD, and I hope he finds a great home.

Jasper asked to go out four times in the half-hour after tea :shock: It was dark, and he didn't seem to want me to go out or stare through the door, but he wasn't racing down the garden to chase monsters. Mostly he was sniffing, but he did do one (normal) poo and also demolished a small plant by the back door that he's always liked nibbling, so there may be something going on in that gut of his. Seems fine otherwise, and as greedy as ever.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

JudyN wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:54 pm
ZaraD wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:38 amHe was handed over as his owners have got divorced and they couldn't agree on who should have him as they both wanted him but without having to see each other so they thought the kindest thing to do was to re-home him.
How on earth can removing him from both the people he lived with be the kindest thing to do? :shock: But anyway, that's not relevant now - good luck with him ZaraD, and I hope he finds a great home.

Jasper asked to go out four times in the half-hour after tea :shock: It was dark, and he didn't seem to want me to go out or stare through the door, but he wasn't racing down the garden to chase monsters. Mostly he was sniffing, but he did do one (normal) poo and also demolished a small plant by the back door that he's always liked nibbling, so there may be something going on in that gut of his. Seems fine otherwise, and as greedy as ever.
I know Judy I dont get it either. But I've heard even more stupid reason why people have given there dogs up. Like last week a woman gave up her shih Tzu because it's fur grew to long :shock: :roll: .
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Talk of EmmaBeth's Charley Weasel and saluki recall has reminded me... my friend has had her rescue terrier foster (she swears he's not staying...) for a couple of weeks now and the other day she said he was a little s*** because he didn't come back when he called (she's lovely really, and is very kind to her dogs, she just uses colourful language). When I said that he hasn't been trained to recall, she just looked at me and said, 'But he knows his name' :shock:

How can I sum up, in a few short words, that not only does knowing his name not mean that he knows he's meant to come to her when she calls, but also that he doesn't have the sort of moral code that equates 'Mum wants me to come back' with 'I will go back to Mum'? That he needs to have a good reason to come back, or it needs to be a reflex, and that not doing what he's asked to do doesn't make him naughty or defiant?