What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by JudyN »

JudyN wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:17 pm Today I went for a walk with my friend who has two rescue dogs, plus a third that was only supposed to stay for a week - over a year ago - who is still so traumatised she's not got a collar on him yet so he can't go for walks. When she turned up today, she had a little terrier in the car with her :shock: ...
She says he's absolutely, definitely, certainly, not staying for more than a week or so....
Guess what? She's fallen in love with him. Just as well he doesn't take up much room. :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Haha! Dogs are addictive tbh. Merlin drives me nuts, but I'm often looking at Dog's Trust thinking 'I think she would get on with him...' A friend of my mum volunteers for the RSPCA and he says that if anyone ever fosters a puppy the puppy never comes back :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Sometimes we have to be very strong and put our existing dog/s first. We should never forget that we get the next dog/s for us not our dog. Sometimes it works but many times it doesn't. So very often I see dogs living together in a state of armed truce, while the owners burble about how they looooove their new companion/friend/brother/sister.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Frankly, I'm amazed that my friend's four dogs haven't had a major bust-up given that her house resembles a matchbox, particularly as Grumpy JIm is dog-reactive. But then he's fine with Jasper now... unless his pain meds need upping, when he might have the odd grumble.

Maybe the fact that the younger three came from background where they were probably living in runs with umpteen other dogs means that they're just used to lots of other dogs being in close proximity. Not that that means it's the best situation for them.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Today Bax helped me become a better person... AGAIN.

Started a snuffle mat for him but it was to expenses/bothersome/ to dull scissors to finish. got it about half done and then left it on the floor. was going to throw it out. But i saw how easily he was doing his wobble tower and figured it couldn't hurt to give him something else to do so i threw some kibble on his half finished snuffle mat. and you know what? it's not perfect, it's not finished, it's not the best of all possible things, but bax likes it just fine. I think bax appreciates a half finished snuffle mat more than having no snuffle mat at all. So here's to bax breaking me of my perfectionist streak, AGAIN.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Great learning curve, Shalista! :D Dogs are so good for us.

Nettle

Post by Nettle »

JudyN wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:36 am Frankly, I'm amazed that my friend's four dogs haven't had a major bust-up given that her house resembles a matchbox, particularly as Grumpy JIm is dog-reactive. But then he's fine with Jasper now... unless his pain meds need upping, when he might have the odd grumble.

Maybe the fact that the younger three came from background where they were probably living in runs with umpteen other dogs means that they're just used to lots of other dogs being in close proximity. Not that that means it's the best situation for them.
I liken it to the prison exercise yard, JudyN. I tell people to imagine they have just been thrust into that environment, then I mimic the old lags coming up and shoving them to get a reaction, going through their pockets, invading their personal space and grinning nastily in their faces. Gets the message across remarkably well.

Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Went to the local nature reserve, saw lots and lots of dogs on our walk. Merlin saw and said hello to a boxer on the lead! He was a little unsure to begin with so we were about to avoid as I was doing 'watch me's', but then he seemed quite interested in a positive way (the boxer was a calm girl) so I asked, and they said hello. He wasn't as enthusiastic as he is with none squishy faced dogs, but he wasn't worried which was nice to see!

A few of the dogs Merlin saw before me, and I only knew they were there because he turned around and looked at me instead of reacting! There was also this absolutely adorable Westie who desperately wanted to say hello. She was getting frustrated and whining / pulling, Merlin was very interested but was able to continue on without reacting. The owner was walking towards us which was sending her gorgrous little dog wild, so I decided not to reinforce the Westie's reactivity... I bet the pair would have had a great play off lead though :lol:

All in all Merlin really does surprise me with how well he can pick things up, so long as I'm being consistant in teaching him. But it wouldn't be a day with Merlin without something happening... He met one of his old, old play friends and, well, he got a bit too excited. Wrestling became rougher and rougher, and I think it was about to break into a fight. We split them up and let them cool off, then all was well and they just pottered around together. I am assuming its possible for dogs (two teenage boys at that!) to get carried away playing if they've not seen each other for a while, and they really, really like each others company. At least I hope that is the case, and he doesn't now dislike he old best bud :roll:

@Shalista I bought Merlin a Kong Wobbler in large which he finds more difficult than the treat tower, so if you get stuck with another activity toy I can recommend that one!
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

@lotsa, i would but i confess id already bought him one... but then i switched to raw and in a fit of puritanism i tossed it. Now im to proud to admit my mistake and buy a new one. :( :oops: :cry:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:20 amI liken it to the prison exercise yard, JudyN.
That's a brilliant analogy, Nettle.

I'm slightly nervous about New Years Eve. DS2 and GF, plus her parents and possibly her brother, will be joining us - and bringing their cockapoo, P :shock: J has met P before and we're going to meet up for a walk before him. J has generally been fine with other dogs coming round, but I'm more concerned about him being stressed by having so many people sitting very close to his bed. He still sometimes has a 'moment' when someone sitting down close to him gets up, which seems to be a reflex - he'll suddenly come to his senses and say, 'Oh, er - sorry... not sure what happened then. As you were', but it may be a bit more dramatic with 'strange' people. I'm wondering about actually moving his bed into the study (he already has one in there but he normally spends all evening in the front room), encouraging him to settle in there and then put a stairgate across so we can all relax and not have to worry about all the nibbles, but he might not like being shut away from all the fun either...
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

You could put a little den around his bed? Like an open playpen just so most of it is nice and cosy, but he's not trapped in if he wants to come out. Though given the size of Jasper it would need to be a fort! :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Yep, it would rather dominate the room :lol:
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

I'd probably look at this as a a good test for GF's parents.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Nettle wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:20 am
JudyN wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:36 am Frankly, I'm amazed that my friend's four dogs haven't had a major bust-up given that her house resembles a matchbox, particularly as Grumpy JIm is dog-reactive. But then he's fine with Jasper now... unless his pain meds need upping, when he might have the odd grumble.

I liken it to the prison exercise yard, JudyN. I tell people to imagine they have just been thrust into that environment, then I mimic the old lags coming up and shoving them to get a reaction, going through their pockets, invading their personal space and grinning nastily in their faces. Gets the message across remarkably well.
and in such environment sometimes getting in the first punch is necessary...something to keep in mind as our dogs sometimes follow this strategy.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Ari_RR wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:26 pm I'd probably look at this as a a good test for GF's parents.
:lol: :lol: :lol: