What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

gwd

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by gwd »

Delta is growing up so fast! How in the hell has that happened?
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

In the last couple of days Laufey seems obsessed with dandelions and whilst I know they're good for him, he only eats the heads and will not do anything else (or listen), with the exception of play with his ball because his ball obsession trumps everything... From this video, does he seem overly obsessed to you? https://youtu.be/taoLRy7xoLc I'm starting to seriously consider him to have a very obsessive personality and wondering if I should work on that :? He didn't eat dandelions last year, or this year, until MiMi started doing it but she just casually grazes, not like this :?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Dandelions are good for him.

Erm - how are you getting on with giving him fruit and green vegetables?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I wish Jasper would eat my dandelion heads - it'd stop them seeding everywhere :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Nettle wrote:Dandelions are good for him.

Erm - how are you getting on with giving him fruit and green vegetables?
I've heard as such, just worried if there's such a thing as too much and if it's a sign of his obsessive personality :? As far as the fruit and veggies go, he has dehydrated fruit treats and generally gets some greens when it's being sorted for the rabbits but it's not really incorporated into meat times - I tried that with kale and he wouldn't eat it, even though he'll eat it when giving it with the rabbits :roll:
JudyN wrote:I wish Jasper would eat my dandelion heads - it'd stop them seeding everywhere :lol:
:lol: MiMi eats both the yellow heads and the fully seed heads but Laufey will only eat the yellow ones, odd dogs they are
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I'd try really upping the greens in his diet, just to see what happens. They're meant to be best absorbed if really thoroughly liquidised or lightly cooked - I buy them ready pureed from a local supplier and Jasper loves them :D

Jasp is a poor thing this evening - he disappeared in the woods for a couple of minutes this afternoon and when he reappeared he was panting like a steam train (he has no stamina) and had blood running down his leg. I think he's managed to cut up & under his stopper pad. It all looks clean but he's been a bit whingy this evening and really struggled climbing the stairs & getting on our bed so he might have pulled something or generally stiffened up. He already seems to be feeling the heat on walks, as well, which is silly as it's only been up to around 16c. I only just managed to stop him settling down for a rest in the middle of the path that runs across the golf course, in the line of fire from golfers this morning, and we had a very slow dawdle home :lol:
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Ahhhh, I'll give that a go then Judy and see. It just seems excessive and i know he's not getting enough good exercise at the minute because exams are on so not moving when we are out is baffling.

Awww I do hope he's okay, MiMi's feeling the heat too, she just keeps lying down and deciding she's had enough, luckily you can pick her up! She does love to try and keep up with Laufey and she does much better than I thought she would but it's rather funny when she decides that's it now :roll:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Keep an eye on that, JudyN, as stopper pad injuries are difficult healers, the pad coming under so much pressure when in use, and there not being much skin to heal with. You might like to vetwrap before going out if it's deep but if so need to make sure that there is enough slack for the wrist to bend. If he has dewclaws, you'll need a thin pad of tissue or cotton wool to protect same before you bandage. That's if he'll let you bandage.

Veteran of far too many stopper pad injuries here :?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

He's had a few cuts on them before, Nettle, and so far they've been OK... fingers crossed. This one seems to be neat, with no bits of flapping skin, so I'm hoping it won't be vulnerable to further injury - but I'll be keeping a close eye on it. I think he might have a sore side-of-pad where a claw rubs against it. It's like owning a flipping Ferrari at times, one decent run and he needs a full tune-up :lol:

The rain's set in for the morning so I'm hoping he decides it's best to rest up.
gwd

Post by gwd »

Stopper pad???? Is this the carpal pad?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

gwd wrote:Stopper pad???? Is this the carpal pad?
I did a bit of googling to check and found this: https://positively.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16601

Deja vu :lol:
gwd

Post by gwd »

JudyN wrote:
gwd wrote:Stopper pad???? Is this the carpal pad?
I did a bit of googling to check and found this: https://positively.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16601

Deja vu :lol:
I'll need a couple of more repetitions for this new behavior to cement. I'm clearly not as clever as some of the dogs!
gwd

Post by gwd »

It's pouring by the bucketful today. We need the rain as we're in a horrible drought right now............ dogs didn't even want to venture out to potty this morning. They keep looking out the door to see if it's let up.
gwd

Post by gwd »

Has anyone heard if Amy has had her baby?

As you all know, I loathe the 'fur-baby' term that AR groups have inserted into the world lexicon, so I ponder if the 'skin-baby' term will come into fashion to describe actual children........ the ran has me is a weird mood I guess. Either that or it could be me coming off of pain meds! Had my gall bladder removed last week. I am coming to terms with the notion that I don't bounce back from things as quickly as I did in my youth. <sigh>
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

gwd wrote:Has anyone heard if Amy has had her baby?

As you all know, I loathe the 'fur-baby' term that AR groups have inserted into the world lexicon, so I ponder if the 'skin-baby' term will come into fashion to describe actual children........ the ran has me is a weird mood I guess. Either that or it could be me coming off of pain meds! Had my gall bladder removed last week. I am coming to terms with the notion that I don't bounce back from things as quickly as I did in my youth. <sigh>
I believe she has, I can't remember if she's posted about him on here or if I saw it on facebook though.

I hope you recover from your surgery soon, sounds awful :(