What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Nettle »

What a lovely thoughtful DS2!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Oh, the look on Jasper's face when, lured by the smell an empty cat food tin cunningly hidden by the food processor, he goes for a smash & grab but comes away with a couple of overlarge runner beans. He munched away, but I reckon he was thinking 'I stole them, I'm going to damn well - urgh - eat them' :lol:

I was chatting to a mutual friend about my favourite new dog on the block, the suspiciously fluffy greyhound x saluki, T. She reckoned T had no personality, but I tried to explain that salukis aren't like normal dogs - they have a lot more to think about than other dogs and are much more reserved. I suspect you could divide dog people into those who get salukis and those who really don't. She's always had terriers and says they're always 'little s*ds' :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Sirius seems to want to join Sky and me on our evening walks about every 2nd or 3rd day these days.

Today was one of those days. We had a much more peaceful walk that we have had a few times we were out recently, and less peaceful than other times. :lol: It seems we never encounter the same number of dogs, and oftentimes not even the same dogs, even though we generally go out at around the same time of day. The only constants are most of the huskies in the dog park, and the dogs in yards who may or may not be outside as we go past.

I had decided ahead of time that rather than needing a stiff cup of coffee after the walk, :wink: I would be a little more focused from the get go as I have been relaxing a bit as Sirius' reactivity range has decreased.

We had just crossed the street to go into the park, when a family exited the park with a yellow lab. I moved to the other side of the entry road, plus across a section of yard until I came against a fence. I took a treat out of my pouch to get Sirius' attention away from dog passing by. Sirius had no interest in my treat.

Sky however immediately approached my hand and when I held the treat out for her, she latched on with a uncharacteristically firm grip. The treat was a piece of Dehydrated Beef Heart, that had been sliced a bit thicker than ideal, so it did take some effort on her part to separate a piece to chew, but she usually has a very soft mouth. :shock: It was almost like a behavior reversal, except in some ways, I think it was a behavioral improvement for both dogs. Sky did snark a bit as she can sometimes, but it was short lived as she was more focused on the treat in my hand.

In the past, it has been very hard to find a treat that Sky will take while out and about. They have had to be very high value and things like baby food meat or frozen cooked roast beef cubes. Dehydrated beef heart may also rank as extremely high value, but is something that she has turned her nose up at in the past.

The rest of our walk through the park was very pleasurable and I got some good pictures of a beautiful sunset. The only other glitch was those darn cats. It was getting a bit past dusk as we passed by their houses and while I didn't see any cats, the dogs indicated that they had. Sirius did three head bops to Sky this time, the third one being a little more aggressive than the other day or the first two, so I told her to stop redirecting to Sky and that was the end of that.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Ancient Chinese proverb - She who goes out for the evening and leaves jeans lying around with treats in the pocket comes home to a soggy pocket with a hole and no treats :roll: Oh well, at least it kept him occupied.

Jasper was very good this morning - we were walking along a narrow fenced pathway which can be a bit of a trigger if we should meet another dog when we spotted a tiny scrap of a terrier up ahead. It disappeared through a hole in the fence and then stuck its head back through, barking and snarling. Jasper was slightly aroused, but walked past - all of two foot away from the other dog - and didn't react at all :D

Not so good this afternoon - he had another meltdown in the car and tried to escape through the front door again. (We'd not got round to getting a barrier but it's now on order for urgent delivery tomorrow.) I don't know what the trigger was this time. It was a different walk to the usual and OH popped into a supermarket before we went back to the car, but that was it. Just possibly the beer bottles he bought were rolling in the boot, but I hadn't heard them until after J had had his meltdown. In the end, we stuffed a bag in between the front seats and travelled with my arm across the top of the gap and turned towards him to tell him to settle down every time he thought about climbing through again. I wish I knew what had upset him... so I can avoid it in future.
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Hi all,

I know I haven't posted in a while. Can you believe we are beginning our drive back to Albuquerque next Thursday. Then, in mid-September, we are driving to San Francisco Bay Area not only to see my parents but our son, dil, & 3 grandchildren are flying in from Israel.

We will need to keep Sandy away from the children since he's not used to children & very jealous even if OH & I touch hands in front of him.

But, I'm posting for another reason. We have AARP (American Association for Retired Persons for those not in US) & they posted an article about pet safety while driving. They did crash tests with dummy dogs & cats to test out safety. Also, there are suggestions on traveling with pets & worst & best safety products.

At least cross country in our cargo van, Sandy is in a canvas crate on floor between the two captain chairs. It's a very snug fit so I don't think it would move, & I usually have a soft case in front. He goes in & out through a zipper top. Poor thing gets to watch our feet, but I put in extra padding as it's like riding in a truck. (I have problems sleeping. We had a metal wall/door put behind the seats to prevent anything in the luggage area from hitting us in case of sudden stops.

My biggest worry is the plasic crate we use when we travel in minivan or car. They mention that the plasic can shatter & can cause injuries. :shock:

Here's the link to the article:
https://extramile.thehartford.com/auto/pet-car-safety

It's mainly for US, but some of the tips may help in UK & other places.

I will catch up with you later. It's going to be hectic & busy for us for next 2 months. Total driving minimum will be about 7000 miles total just going Maine/Albuquerque/SF Bay Area/ Albuquerque...

Take care & I'll check when I can especially if anyone has any comments on article.

Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Hi Diane, I hope your travels go well :D You can only do so much to keep yourself and your dog in the car.I think back nostalgically to the days when my baby brother was in a loose carry cot on the back seat and the dog and I were happy together in the boot of the estate (I think that's trunk of a station wagon where you are).

Jasper was taking a break in the park today, flat out on the grass, and a child and his parents walked past. The conversation went the usual way... 'Oooh, BIG dog!' 'Daddy, what's that thing he's wearing on his face?' I listened with interest - would the parents change the subject, would they say it's to stop him eating rubbish, would they say he might bite?

'It's called a muzzle. It might be because... he gets very nervous sometimes.'

I could have hugged them! It makes such a change for someone to see it from the dog's perspective rather than what the dog might do. It means the child is much more likely to grow up understanding dogs, not fearing them (or thinking they're all cuddle monsters).
Erica

Post by Erica »

Delta really seems to have been bothered by the tumor on Opal's leg. After it was removed (and she was still wobbly from anesthesia), he gave her the most cursory sniff I've seen him give her in months and then left her alone! He's been much less obsessive with the sniffing, down to normal dog levels. I'm tempted to look around and see if there are programs for cancer-sniffing dogs in the area. I wouldn't be surprised; we have several nationally respected hospitals in the area.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Erica,

When OH was having urinaty problems, rven before the CT scan & cystoscopy, even before surgery & biopsy, Sandy was constantly sniffing OH's crotch which he had never done before. After surgery, the tumors were found to be malignant cancer.

We just have to really keep Sandy off of OH when his bladder receives 3 weekly immunotherapy every 3 mints. They use BCG (which in Israel & maybe the U.K. is used as a TB vaccine. We don't want Sandy exposed to immunotherapy which can be harmful.

Sandy was never trained to sniff cancer, but he sure got it right.

I know that there have been experiments in UK ON dogs being used to detect bladder cancer. But, I had t realized our chihuahua without training could detect it in OH.

So, I don't know if they actually will use Delta in a union, but I think you live near Duke which may have a research program you can check out.

But, it sounds like dogs might be able to detect skin cancers, maybe cervical. There's an odor I believe that dogs pick up that humans can't. Worth a try. I would be interesting in the outcome when you talk with them. I mentioned Duke since I know they do s lot of research.

Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Thank you for posting the travel article Diane. We have recently purchased a new vehicle and will be phasing out use of the big van for all but cool weather close by trips. (It keeps overheating with the AC running and I am not inclined to put a new radiator into a vehicle with a failing transmission that I intend to replace in a couple of years with something capable of towing a camper trailer.)

Our new vehicle is a Chevy Equinox, so mid sized suv type of thing. The back seats fold down, but it doesn't have sufficient space for the crates that we use in the big van. I have managed to get both dogs onto the seat and buckled in, but getting them into the car is proving to be a challenge. When Sirius is standing on the ground, the floor of the car comes to her neck. Where the van had steps, the car does not. Sky turns 12 this month and her mobility isn't what it used to be. Plus, Sky tends to get into the car and take over the whole seat, and getting on the seat pretty much does her in as far as moving over and sitting up. This leaves Sirius standing in the floor.

Putting them in and out of the back instead of the side would allow me to use a ramp. There are what I think are tie down points in the back, so I might be able to work out a means to secure the dogs to those. I have thought about a variocage, but that isn't in the budget at the moment and this vehicle isn't intended to be the new dogmobile. It was purchased to be reliable, air conditioned transportation for just about everything now, and to be the smaller, more fuel efficient, run around town vehicle in the future when the big van has been replaced with that something capable of towing a camper trailer.

Erica good to hear Opal is doing better. Good luck with locating a program and possible training for Delta as a cancer sniffing dog. I have heard may stories such as you and Diane relate of dogs identifying the presence of cancer with no training.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

welp im biting the bullet and buying bax doggy diapers. my sister introduced him (without my presence or consent) to her dog and they ran around together. well her dog ran. he just sat her lap and guarded it.

now hes peeing like a fire hose in the house again and im ready to cry. so. doggy diapers. still gonna take him on his normal walks! but at least he wont be pottying in the house anymore.

any recommendations for a specific kind or should i just go to the local pet store?

(hopefully this wont be a long term plan. i'm supposed ot hear back on that job by wednesday *fingers crossed*)
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Fingers crossed for the job, Shalista :D Have you had any joy finding diapers? I know they're not generally recommended on here because of the risk of infection in a warm, damp environment but sometimes it's a choice between doing something less than ideal and beating your brains out on the nearest hard surface :(

I can't decide if Jasper's quite himself at the moment. The last two mornings he's only wanted to go round the corner, have a sniff, and turn for home again. He seemed OK yesterday afternoon, and was reasonably lively though. No signs of limping or discomfort, and his appetite is fine.

I could understand it if it was just afternoons as though not particularly hot it's been muggy, but wouldn't expect the weather to be a factor in the mornings. Maybe he's just getting lazy?
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

$$ is a little tight so i havent looked yet. and its still def going to be more a "just in case" thing then something im leaning on. especially once i move because he has the tendency to mark new places. but im going to be taking it off and checking the pad every time i take him on one of his 8 walks a day :roll: so its not like he'lll be marinating for a long time if he wees

got called in for a second interview cause the first guy forgot to give me some papers to sign so im off for that today.

and agreed on dogs being a little out of it lately. took bax on our usual walk and he barely stopped to sniff anything at all. usually im stuck waiting by the side of the road for thirty min while he inspects a likely clump of grass :lol:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

JudyN wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:54 am I can't decide if Jasper's quite himself at the moment. The last two mornings he's only wanted to go round the corner, have a sniff, and turn for home again. He seemed OK yesterday afternoon, and was reasonably lively though. No signs of limping or discomfort, and his appetite is fine.

I could understand it if it was just afternoons as though not particularly hot it's been muggy, but wouldn't expect the weather to be a factor in the mornings. Maybe he's just getting lazy?
I hate to say this, but our pups are getting a bit older too. Ari (will be 7 in a couple of weeks, and J is probably closer to 8?) is noticeably slower and less active outdoors during the summer than he was last year. Hopefully it will cool down soon, and energy level will go up somewhat.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

This is true, Ari - yes, Jasper will be 8 in December. Where on earth did the time go? He was fine yesterday afternoon, so maybe he just really doesn't feel the need for two longish walks a day. I shouldn't be complaining, I rather like having an extra hour in the day.
Erica

Post by Erica »

We leave tomorrow for brother's wedding weekend, and this morning sister's staffy Jax was having labored breathing and trouble settling down. He's been diagnosed with heart failure for a while. I'm glad it was today rather than tomorrow or over the weekend while she wasn't home, but it's still not great timing. The vet came over this evening and he's gone now.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14