What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lotsaquestions

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Hopefully Bax's buddy stays a buddy for many years to come!
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Just had a call from Willows Referrals. I sent them an update on Merlin, the amount of times I see him go lame, and a video of him sitting down abruptly whilst running and they want him back in for a proper diagnosis (as the previous one was just a hypothesis). They mentioned a possible need for surgery. :( I had thought he was doing really well but apparently he should be hopping less than he is. Some days he can show no symptoms, other days he skips and sits down. He went a week once with no symptoms.

I am nervous again now, not just for the possibility of surgery, but of how much it is going to cost! Our insurance only covers up to £4k for one issue, an MRI alone if they want one done is £3k >.<
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:31 am Just had a call from Willows Referrals. I sent them an update on Merlin, the amount of times I see him go lame, and a video of him sitting down abruptly whilst running and they want him back in for a proper diagnosis (as the previous one was just a hypothesis). They mentioned a possible need for surgery. :( I had thought he was doing really well but apparently he should be hopping less than he is. Some days he can show no symptoms, other days he skips and sits down. He went a week once with no symptoms.

I am nervous again now, not just for the possibility of surgery, but of how much it is going to cost! Our insurance only covers up to £4k for one issue, an MRI alone if they want one done is £3k >.<
My step mom is going through something similar at the moment with her Scottie , one minute the Scottie is fine no jumping , no nothing the next there jumping all the time sitting oddley and skipping. I hope Merlin won't need surgery , regarding the insurance I have petplan so both Sampson and Lara are covered for life and I think there's is £12,000 a year for vet fees, you could ask if he did need surgery if you could pay a certain amount monthly just incase your insurance doesn't cover everything, £3000 is a lot sometimes I do wonder why vets charge so much. ,£3000 is a lot for just an MRI
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Removed
Last edited by Lotsaquestions on Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You don't have to agree to anything you don't want. Vets are often in a hurry (though why I don't know) and don't explain options - mine does.

Ideally, you need a diagnosis (you don't have that yet) you need to know what sort of info the scan will supply and what they are expecting.
There are only so many options, and they can tell you those without scanning.

There are only so many treatments and they can tell you those. They then should recommend an option and say why. Remember, as they say in the Business courses "Do Nothing is always an option'. You need a realistic prognosis of what is involved with each option.

Then YOU go away and think about it in a stress-free environment. You do not have to decide right then. Together, you and your vet will reach a suitable decision.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

I will definately keep that in mind, Nettle! I do feel like sometimes I just blindly nod along with what they say, since it is drummed into you to 'trust the professionals'. I've been trusting the professionals now for months and I've had three different diagnoses returned! I personally am not convinced it is luxating patella, I would have thought my local vet would have picked this up whilst they fiddled with his leg under sedation. Plus he only started limping after trauma (Lurcher collision) and the x-rays showed no issue with his knees.

All I am concerned about now is; is Merlin in pain? Wish he could tell me. :(
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Removed
Last edited by Lotsaquestions on Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Well done you for finding that! Now you know it can happen, it probably never will again. That's dog ownership for you.

I think you need some cake.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Erica

Post by Erica »

Oh I don't know Nettle, Delta gets those buggers all the time :lol: Which is one of the reasons he's shaved short in the spring. Thorns crumble during the winter, but they draw blood in the spring. x.x
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Yeah as soon as the weather starts getting a bit warmer all of the old twigs and thorny nettles that had fallen off the trees crisp up and get in Merlin's fur EVERYWHERE. I unfortunately don't have the option of shaving. 99% of the time he sits down and I find the 'icky thing in his fur', even have little scissors with me incase they really have got wrapped up (like today). Todays one was a little bit sneaky, poor thing. It must have been jabbing him all that time right in the sensitive bits.

Just to clarify btw I said 'bloody' as a UK 'swear word', it wasn't covered in blood. :lol: He is a bit red down there but luckily only that.

I'd contemplated getting Merlin one of these (https://www.hurtta.com/global_en/downpour-suit) but I don't think my OH would agree. He would look ridiculous, but he would be thorn free for his trip to the woods! Those things as so sharp I have to wear gloves just to touch them, and he gets them by his bits and backend regularly. :shock:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Oh, poor Merlin :lol: I had a similar scare with Monty the 20-year-old cat the other day. DS1 called me because M was sitting on the landing, all hunched up, not moving, looking completely miserable and I thought this might just be IT. Then I found he had a claw caught in the carpet pile and he doesn't have the strength to pull it out any more :lol:

Monty used to get slugs caught up in his fur... Image I had thought that he wasn't going outside any more but he threw up the other day and there was grass in it so he must be sneaking out when we're not around :D

Jasper seems back to his normal self. I've been pairing getting his muzzle on with a treat, and for the first time this afternoon put the muzzle on before getting the treat out rather than showing it to him. He's been fine with that, has been good with all the other dogs we've met, and has done some excellent recall away from other dogs and a man on a bench eating a banana who might have had the rest of his lunch with him.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Yay healthy Jasper! Wonder what it was? Woke up on the wrong side of the bed for a few days? :lol:

I can't begin to imagine how a cat gets slugs in its fur. Do you think he rolled in them? Ewww...

Its one of those things isn't it, when you fear the worse you look for the worse. Stick caught up in fur - "His leg is falling off!! Cat's claw stuck in carpet - "We've had so many good years..." :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:53 pmIts one of those things isn't it, when you fear the worse you look for the worse. Stick caught up in fur - "His leg is falling off!! Cat's claw stuck in carpet - "We've had so many good years..." :lol:
Absolutely :lol: He's long haired, and I reckon they just crawled into his fur when he was lying in the sum and couldn't find their way out again.

I hope Jasper's healthy - his afternoon poo suggested otherwise, but that's not unusual for him :wink:
JoanneF

Post by JoanneF »

I can tell you what we won't be doing today. We are by miles and miles of beautiful sandy beach, but dogs aren't allowed on it ... :(
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

That's sad, JoanneF. Do the beaches get busy?