What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lotsaquestions

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Lotsaquestions »

He has no concept of danger. He jumps first, ask questions later. It doesn't always end well. He falls over / skids face first along the floor A LOT :lol:

On the plus side, his knee is looking pretty good. :D
Last edited by Lotsaquestions on Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

'I can flyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!' :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

What a cracking photo!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Jasper actually had the zoomies on this morning's walk! We'd explored a few roads & paths onlead for about 45 mins, and arrived at an area with long - i.e. about 4' long - grass, and he had some mad dashes round, 'hiding' in the grass, belting towards me and then running in circles round me. It was lovely to see :D

He'd only had a short lead walk in the morning the day before (his choice), and he didn't want an afternoon walk as it was too hot, so I guess he had some beans he needed to burn off.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Awwww, I bet it was terrifying though! I've seen greyhounds full zoom, like crazy horses coming full pelt at you. :lol:
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Love the picture lotsa. :lol:

Very interesting walks with the dogs yesterday.

Sky had gone solo the night before and decided to take herself on her long route. Sky is a creature of habit and doesn't like changes being made to one of her two routes She went 2.22 miles total and managed very well. She stumbled once on uneven footing, and as we neared home we had a period of standing and waiting for a vehicle which had the engine running and lights on to back out of a driveway. Vehicle never did back out of driveway, but people were milling around in the yard, People got into and back out of the vehicle. I asked one group of people getting back into the vehicle if the vehicle was going to move anytime soon. Their response was to look at me like I was some crazy person. I finally got the attention of a child in the yard, who was able to communicate with the driver and provide conformation that the vehicle wasn't about to back across the sidewalk and we continued on our way. Sky's hind end sagged to the ground a couple of times while we were waiting though.

Sirius had opted to not go on a walk on Sunday. Something scary was outside.

Monday I had off of work, so took Sirius out at midday. It was one of those chilly pre-summer days, so midday was fine temperature wise. Sirius has a tendency to turn the opposite direction out of the driveway to what Sky does. Then she may go around Sky's route, kind of in reverse, or she may decide to branch off somewhere else. Yesterday, she decided to go straight instead of around the block, then turned left a couple of streets later. This turned out to be an absolutely lovely walk that led to a street that comes out onto our Main street just short of a mile away from home. Her total distance was 1.89 miles. She usually goes around 1.3 miles.

Sky didn't indicate any desire to go out when I got back home with Sirius, and I really didn't expect her to be up for a walk after taking herself on the long walk the day before. After supper however, she informed me it was time for her walk. I figured I would see how she was and adjust her walk distance as it may appear needed. Miss, I have to follow this route, actually asked to change things up a bit. :shock: By the time we were done, she had gone another 2.2 miles and managed very well.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It's lovely that Sky and Sirius are able to tell you just what sort of walks they want, MPBandmum :D

I met someone in the woods yesterday with a Staffie - she said she had a lurcher too but the dogs liked completely different sorts of walks so she walked them separately, which I thought was rather lovely. The Staffie was intent on finding sticks hanging from trees where people had made swings, wanting to jump up, grab hold of the stick and swing on it. It must be a Staffie thing... I did take a video but it seems to have disappeared overnight :shock:
Lotsaquestions wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:26 pm Awwww, I bet it was terrifying though! I've seen greyhounds full zoom, like crazy horses coming full pelt at you. :lol:
Nah, I know he won't bump into me. As long as I keep my elbows well in, sometimes he doesn't take them into account :lol: I did turn my back when he approached though, as if he gets really excited it could trigger the sort of jumpy-bitey moments that were a real problem when he was much younger - he knows that turning away means he shouldn't do this.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Ah, here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD5coRWa-do

It's a shame I missed the bit where he launched himself off the bank and tried to fly to the stick :lol:
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Awwww, that is such a staffy thing to do. I must admit I really do like them as a breed, but they're a bit too muscle bound for me to have one. :D

Merlin and a staffy have a little routine going. On a particular bench me and mum sit down for a drink, to entertain himself Merlin collects sticks into a pile. Then a few days later (sometimes the next day) when we get back to the bench the sticks are all chewed to bits and Merlin makes a new pile. :lol:
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

In one of the parks near me there's a tyre that hangs from a tree that most kids swing on but there's one staffie though that loves to swing on the tyre and just sits in the tyre while the owner swings him :lol: , ( I think it's dangerous)
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Ari the 7.5 y.o. RR lost a bit of weight lately, and regained some of his good looks... muscles are visible again, which coupled with his size, low energy during the summer, and aloof demeanor (just slowly walking by people without even looking at them) turns heads again. “Wow, did you see that dog?!” Nice.

This morning we met a Caucasian Shepherd boy. Wild looking beast, hair sticks out, huge head, huge everything. Scary looking.

The elegant prince Ari became all growls, pulling and cursing, while the wild beast CS boy just stood still behind his human, waiting for us to pass, there wasn’t any tension in his leash at all.

Appearances can surely be deceiving... :-(
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Well done on the weight loss, Ari. You could so have taken that CS down :wink:

Twice today Jasper went over to introduce himself to a couple who had a toddler and a buggy (thanks to the woman who pushes a buggy and hands out digestive biscuits), and twice I blew my whistle before he got to them, he came straight back, and got lots of praise and sausage. Then a bit later he went over to a couple walking three snack-size dogs. I called him back but he's fine with small dogs so I didn't bother with the whistle this time, just gave a general 'Come on, this way now!' He started to come towards me but then stopped and looked at me. The little tinker was waiting for me to blow my whistle so he'd get sausage instead of boring old kibble.

I was able to give someone some muzzle advice yesterday. They said they were thinking of getting their dog a muzzle like Jasper's because their dog ate cow poo. I told them it won't work for cow poo.

'Really? Why not?'

'Well, you know how a potato masher works?'

'Oh... ahh. Maybe not such a good idea then' :lol:
Erica

Post by Erica »

That is hilarious Judy! lol!

I was approved for an apartment so Delta and I should be moving out SOON...the sooner the better in my book...just need their "list of things we need" email so I can run that stuff over to them. Then the transplanting should begin! I'll be keeping the fish and anything valuable at home since we're going on vacation mid-July. Then we'll move that stuff over as well.

Due to weird circumstances I got a two bedroom apartment for the price of a one bedroom. A whole extra room! One for crafts, one for dog stuff. Obviously the larger room is for dog stuff.

It's scary but exciting.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Good work AriRR on the weight loss.

We have had some yucky hot muggy weather recently. There was a bit of a break last night, so I took Sky out for a walk. Sky informed me that I had been lax in that area and that we should have already been out of the door.

Sirius was nowhere to be seen, but there have been storms and fireworks and she has been having some crisis of wanting to go for a walk and then deciding it is scary outside. So I really didn't expect her to want to go for a walk.

However, when I returned with Sky, Sirius informed me that she was ready for her turn. :D We saw a spectacular sunset and came across other dogs at the park that we have not encountered before. I think everyone was trying to take advantage of the break in weather.

It was so amazing, every dog/owner kept their distance from the other dogs present. The little black dog that was coming towards us, ducked down a side path before I had time to dodge. The young shepherd that came walking across the grassy area between where little black dog was and the path that we were on, cut across the path well ahead of us rather than turning onto the path. The two small dogs, turned around and went the other direction. All of this well outside of Sirius reaction range, and for the most part with her not even paying attention to the dogs being in the area.

Great news on the apartment Erica! ummm two bedrooms, one for crafts, one for dog stuff, did you forget the one for yourself? :lol:
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Yay for the nice walk MP! :D

That's what the walk-in closet is for :lol: Kidding -- there are two bedrooms and a living room. Living room will be dog stuff + training area + hangout place, bedroom one for sleeping, bedroom two for crafts. ;P
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14