What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

gwd

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by gwd »

Poor Trish............ sometimes you think it was a mistake to get out of bed. ........days that just circle the drain!
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

emmabeth wrote:Rocky mainly rode my scooter, hopping off to pee on things which I kindly pull up close to for him!
I love this. I can see in our future (hopefully a long way into it) us carrying little missy around the neighbourhood and plonking her down beside the odd pole for a sniff.

Poor Trish. I woukdn't swap days with her. She sounds like she's a pretty impressive lady though!
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Poor Trish! That is definitely not a good start to a day.

We took the dogs to the battlefield for a walk today. Apparently some horse club, event, group, something was having a group trail ride today. The horse trailer parking lot was jam packed. This is located at the opposite end of the trail from where we started out. The horse trail and pedestrian trail run parallel for most of the length of the section of trail that we were on and are only separated by a row of trees in some places. As we headed back to the van, we must have had a dozen horses pass by heading back to their vehicles. Sirius went a little bonkers at the first one, but we have seen the occasional horse out there before and as more and more horses went past, even ones that were running, her behavior towards them continued to improve.

The deer that we saw were still exciting and needed to be chased, although the dogs are getting better about that too, since they know they are out of luck since they are tied to their people.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

We have a St. Bernard X Alaskan husky mix named Chinook who is perfectly well behaved when he encounters a riderless horse, but let him see a human on his or her mount the poor boy goes totally bonkers. It's almost like he's screaming "Man on a moose, man on moose - mortal danger - man on a moose." :D

Chinook is retired from the team, and will soon turn 13 years of age. He's hard of hearing and his vision isn't all that clear, but we still catch him playing with the youngsters who surround him pretty regularly.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It's been chucking it down most of the morning, so Jasper hasn't asked to go out for a walk. When he first got up, before the rain arrived, he asked to go out straight away. Normally in the morning, he doesn't bother going out until some time after he's had his breakfast. OH is convinced that Jasper knew the rain was coming and wanted to get his morning ablutions out the way before it arrived. What do you think? Are dogs able to plan their day according not to what the weather is doing now but what it is going to do later?

I do wonder about his psychic abilities. Twice now he'd barked at big scary men coming to the house when they haven't even come into the drive and might just be regular passers-by. And this morning he barked when DS2 came home. I was in the back of the house and put this down to DS2 wearing all his wet-weather cycling gear, with both helmet and hood, but OH pointed out that Jasper had been lying down when he started barking :shock:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

Just back from a lovely swim at the beach where we came across a pretty little black pug and her crazy pug lady. So obviously we had to stop and introduce ourselves and play with each others pugs and chat for about half an hour :lol: .

So now Sweetie's had her bath and zoomies around the back yard and is snuggling me on the patio sofa in between attempts at shoving her little face into my coffee cup.

A pretty nice Sunday morning.
lucyandbella

Post by lucyandbella »

Lucy and I had our first agility trial today. She didn't qualify in any of her two runs but she did really well, it was me that needs to learn to be a better handler, I get a little lost on the course. I was so nervous she would be afraid of the judge or distracted, but she ran really well and clean, she only didn't qualify because I sent her on the wrong jumps. :oops: But she didn't know, and she had fun. Now we are home both exhausted :lol:
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

I've sometimes wondered how do agility handlers keep track of the order they are supposed to follow on an agility course. Heck, some of us get lost on really well marked trails, and I don't see any trail markers in the agility ring.

The important thing in my mind isn't how highly one scores in the competition - it's how much fun the dogs can have playing the game.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

today Jack proved that dogs can imitate...at least to some degree.

out for our morning walk, started to head home...ran into his buddy...went back to the field we had just left with his buddy. his buddy notices the nice fresh gopher holes, and she starts digging. we stop her as this isn't the place to be digging holes. I start to fill the hole back in by getting dirt from the other gopher mounds...turn to put the dirt into the hole his buddy dug...there is Jack digging it out again :evil: Jack never digs :( :lol:

there you have it...proof that women are trouble makers and dogs imitate :twisted:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Apropos imitating.....friend has new puppy. Puppy was out in garden while she was deadheading some flowers. Next day she found pup busy deadheading all the flowers she could reach, regardless of whether they were at that stage or not :lol:

Scary :shock: sometimes how smart they are.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It does seem to be me digging in the garden that sets Jasper off digging - but that could just be the sight of the bare loose earth that triggers him, or the fact that I'm not entertaining him.

If OH nips behind a tree for a call of nature, Jasper often joins him.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

JudyN wrote:If OH nips behind a tree for a call of nature, Jasper often joins him.
aaawww, a team pee :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Mine do that with OH too :shock:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Erica

Post by Erica »

Delta's now around 22 pounds! He is doing very well. Our trainers are enamored with him and love his personality. Two weeks ago it was "You should look into therapy work with him" and this week it was "We have a client with a blind and deaf puppy who needs careful socialization with very nice puppies and we all thought of Delta first." (Awww :oops: we'll see where this goes!) This upcoming Saturday is the last class but we might go to the next level up as it's a really great class with wonderful trainers.

We're stepping up outside world socialization since he's had his second series of shots. Housesitting with Daisy let us have a new place to walk and new people to see. :)

I get my first bulk online order in on Thursday...53 pounds of duck, fish, rabbit, mutton, and beef...with some various organ, finally, as all I've found is $13/lb veal sweatbreads which is Rather expensive. It did last us a while while I found and ordered other stuff. And green tripe, which I can't tell if I'm excited for or terrified to play with that for the first time.

...though as the unprocessed rabbits were way cheaper and came with all organs I got those. Any tips on processing that for dogs? :P

As always pictures are found at this blog as it's way faster to update there than sort all the codes out for here and I haven't got much spare time right now!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Womble once sat and watched OH weeding my dads veg plot. Pondered it a bit, turned around and dug the potato patch with the enthusiasm only a baby-dog can manage. First thing OH knew was when he was under fire from a million potatos sent airbourne by frantically digging Wombler!

How I larfed. He didn't he had to rebury all the spuds before my Dad saw!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant