What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Erica

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Erica »

So puppy class was today - lots of fun, but the exciting bit came after when we were talking and the head trainer was complimenting my eye for dog behavior and my way with people. I told her I would be interested in training as a career. She was very excited and quick to say that she'd love to have me join the team (as they're very busy with classes and home visits and would be happy to have another hand), and would help guide and support my learning towards that.

That was really fantastic; I can't really imagine any better path laid out before me. :) She's a fantastic trainer with both dogs and people and works a lot with reactive and fearful dogs. I've got to sort out a few things in my life and then I'll be looking into the Karen Pryor academy.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Great news Erica! It is wonderful that you have found a place where you feel comfortable and confident. :D :D :D
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Yay, Erica! It sounds like you've found your vocation! :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Erica, that is brilliant! And so well-deserved! :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

Awesome news Erica :D Really happy for you, they'll be lucky to have you on the team!
Erica

Post by Erica »

Thanks, all! :) It is very exciting! Things seem to be falling into place for me recently!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

We met one of Jasper's favourite people with his staffie and spaniel this afternoon. As usual, Jasper successfully mugged him for treats. He kept on looking at him, whinging, nudging his pockets, and my friend said, 'Why are you still bothering me? You know I only give you one treat... ['You what?', I thought] ...unless you're really persistent.'

And he wonders why Jasper persists :lol:
Erica

Post by Erica »

Jasper has him well-trained ;)
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Ideally no one would treat anyone else's dog, at least without asking, but in our local woods it's standard practice. Thankfully he knows who pester power will work with and who it won't. He's perfectly polite & friendly with those who don't treat, he'll mug people who just give him one until he's had it and then ignore them... and those who give him treats at random intervals even after saying 'all gone' depsite me telling them what the consequences will be have only themselves to blame :lol:

It must be a frickin' nightmare for people whose dogs have food intolerances though :evil:
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Sky and I participated in a 5k walk today for Ovarian Cancer awareness. A friend of mine is currently fighting this form of cancer. Due to her current chemo causing hand and foot blisters, she opted to scooter with her dog, as walking would likely not have gone well.

It was a rather warm and humid day, but overcast and cloudy which tipped the scale in favor of taking the dogs. If it had been those conditions and sunny, neither one of us would have taken our dogs.

Sky had a wonderful time walking purposefully as a friend observed. (She was in sled dog mode at that point and pulling. :lol: ) She also wagged her tail non stop. We had ended up parked aways away from the starting line. The event was held at a shopping mall. Where I came into the Mall all of the parking lots were blocked off. So I parked across the street and then got to walk around a couple of corners of the mall before locating the event. :shock:

When we got back to the car, Sky fell trying to hop in. Her back legs gave out as she started to jump up the stairs. She landed with her face on the steps and hind end on the pavement. In trying to be helpful, I picked up her hind end to assist her with getting in. She either wasn't ready to try again or thought I was just plain picking her up because she didn't move her front paws at all. So I then added a second arm to support and raise her front at which point, she got the idea and scrambled into the van.

By the time we got home she was able to get out of the van fairly well. Once inside of the house, she followed me up and down the stairs a couple of times before settling down and taking a snooze. I didn't get pestered for an evening walk tonight though. I'm sure she will be back and ready for that tomorrow.

The vet has offered some pain medicine to use on an as needed basis. I held off thinking when the weather got colder and she tends to stiffen up more Then I felt like today, I maybe should have had something available to give to her.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Today I took the dogs to the battlefield. I am participating in a fun challenge called 100 Fall Frolics and Finds. The challenge is to reach 100 miles between Fall and Winter plus find 100 items on a scavenger hunt list. The challenge is flexible and can be modified by the person participating.

I did a similar challenge in the spring, but OH was walking with me at the time and we each beat 100 miles with our dogs. :D Unfortunately OH is still recovering from a fall he took while getting ready to walk the dogs one day several weeks ago, so I'm on my own on this one. That means I will often be walking the dogs separately, which means generally shorter walks for each dog. I have set my goal at 150 miles for both dogs combined. I set my scavenger hunt goal at 50 items per dog. I was aiming for one find per walk for each dog.

I was doing very well with that until today. I went to the battlefield with the intention of getting a picture of a tombstone, and a sign. When I arrived, there was a bright red hay trailer parked in the field ready to load up the bales of hay/straw made from cutting the fields. By the time I finished the walk, I had a picture of a fence, a fallen tree, a tree with a hole in it, a tombstone, hay/straw, something red, (the trailer), and something rectangular (it turned out the sign is supposed to be a road sign.)

I am learning that getting the dogs to pose in front of these various objects is a challenge in and of itself. :lol: Sirius is getting the idea to sit. Sky is still looking at me like I am crazy and we are wasting time standing here when we should be walking. :lol:
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Hi, long time no see. In June Annie turned 13 years old. It's been hard, having an elderly dog. :( Previously I posted about how she has cataracts in her eyes, and how she's been having difficulty getting up and down the porch steps (the only way in or out of the house). I mentioned how we bought her a special ramp for those porch steps, and how she refused to use it. It's been hard. She's been having more accidents in the house, by the back door, because going down the porch steps is scary, but so is the ramp. I started to worry about winter coming, and the steps being icy, and would we have to euthanize her, but what about trying to give her a proper burial in the winter when the ground is frozen....

Recently Mr. Fundog put the ramp back up... AGAIN... he clipped the lead onto Annie every time she had to go out, so he could help guide her on the ramp (turns out her cataracts limit her view of the sides of the ramp, which makes it scary because she can't see the edges). We also put a rug on it, to change the texture, because Mr. Fundog thought the sandpaper covering was bothering Annie too. (Mr. Fundog is kind of smart! Lol)

Well, I'm excited to say that Annie is now going DOWN the ramp, WITHOUT the lead! She still chooses to come UP the stairs (and half the time she falls back down again before she gets all the way up), but if we simply guide her by her collar, she will go up the ramp, no problems. She does need guidance because of her limited vision. She is likely to fall off the edge, which is scary, and would make her never want to use it again. But at least I now have hope. Annie still has a lot of life left in her, and now that she is able to use the ramp, she is likely to make it another year. :) I will have to make sure the ramp and the steps are shoveled and salted all winter, but now I know Annie can get out into the yard to go potty, and that is major. She has brought me so much joy! I know she can't live forever, but I want her to go on HER TERMS, not because she can't make it down the porch steps to relieve herself.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Clever Mr. Fundog!! Avatar lady is nearly 13, and I've had a fair few dogs make old bones, so I know how every moment is precious, and also the challenges of keeping an old dog going with quality of life. So well done, and thanks for sharing.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Good to hear Annie is getting on OK, Fundog :D

We're on holiday in Cornwall at the mo, and after the initial stresses of the journey, the 'Where are we?', the 'Where do I sleep?' and needing to master the steep curving staircase (not easy when your back is so long you're almost vertical coming down :lol: ), Jasper is loving it. He's been quite excited by the beaches, though only once had a naughty jumpy-up moment. There's lots of dogs everywhere (many Cornwall beaches only permit dogs from 1 October so they're all enjoying their freedom) but he hasn't grumped at any so far, or got OTT. OK, he was a little full-on with a 3-year-old deerhound we met today - apparently the deerhound also tends to be full-on, but I suspect the deerhound was cowed by finding a dog who could run faster than him :lol:

He did have a scare this afternoon - we were just leaving St Ives but as we pulled out of the car park a couple of beer bottles knocked together in the boot. I hadn't even noticed the noise, but all of a sudden he was trying to climb into the front with us, and shaking :shock: We got him out and let him have a little walk around, and found that one of the bottles had broken. It must have been faulty, because OH is always very careful about packing the boot. I wonder if it was the sound of breaking, or a sudden smell of beer that upset Jasper so much? It did seem quite an extreme reaction to a small sound, even for him.

Poor OH had to scrub out the back of the car when we got back to the cottage - the combination of beer and dirty car interior isn't a good smell :lol:

I can't believe how lucky we've been with the weather. It's set to be dry all week, and it's been warm enough to sit outside to eat.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

I'm glad to hear Annie is finally having success with the ramp.

We have been trying to figure out a way to give our senior cat easier access to the top of the dryer and her dinner, without tripping ourselves, as the washer and dryer fit into a little corner and the door to the bathroom is just past the machines. So far, we have just been picking her up and putting her on the dryer if see seems to be looking for a way up, and sometimes we also lift her back down to the floor.