What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lotsaquestions

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Lotsaquestions »

What about how misunderstood Lurchers can be by other dogs. They can play very strangely and love bitey face and roaring, only dogs I've ever seen do that are sighthounds. All legs, all mouth, all noise, followed shortly by lightning fast zoomies.

My old Lurcher used to scale the 6ft fence (whippet cross) every bin day to go on his little bin raiding adventures, then used to appear at the front door and came in like nothing was amiss. He was also ball mad, and tried to get us to throw crisp packets or leaves for him if we didn't bring his ball out. His favourite thing about fetch was catching it on the first bounce (and we threw it FAR). He was a speedy little thing, and I miss him dearly.

Or I love the way Lurchers come and ask for some of your food. They just slowly walk up to your treat bag, look at it then back at you, as if to say 'hurry up then, I have too many places to be and too many things to chase to be waiting around here for you.' No other breed of dog does that in my experience, I love it.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

How about something that explains you can train lurchers to a very high standard (working lurchers are probably more under control than police dogs) BUT they have no interest in pleasing you just for the sake of it, praise means nothing to them, toys are meh and even food has no appeal (Jas is an exception!!) if they think their owner is being unreasonable? And that the average sit-stand-down kind of dog class can actually ruin your relationship because they see no purpose in doing those things only to be asked to do them again?

With Lotsa's suggestion, that's TWO articles :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Both ideas are great, but Nettles idea reminded me of a woman I once met who said her lurcher was driving her crazy , when I asked why she said well I thought lurchers were as easy as a Labrador to train :roll: .

I agree with both there great ideas, apart from all the good about lurchers I would write all the weird and the bad things too, if I was writing an article on giant schnauzers I'd want to make sure that the readers understand that they are lovely dogs and the good out weighs the bad or weird. But I'd also not want readers to then think there's only good so I'd still include the bad points and anything weird or unique to a Giant. You could do that for the lurcher :D

Peppa has been fab and I know if only had her a day but Sampson loves her, I feel excatly like when I fostered Sampson and moms got attached to her so after the rescue phoned to let me know someone was interested until they found out about her medical issues I decided to tell them that I wanted to adopt her as I'm paying for her treatment , she's settled in very well,and when the manger came with the paper work she said Peppa looks a lot more relaxed here then she did at the other Foster's, so I signed the paperwork and payed the fee and we know own Peppa , now called Lara ( i played the Lara croft games as a kid and still play the new versions) plus it's like Zara but with an L :D , the manger thanked me for giving her a home as she didn't thing she would have found one or be waiting a very long time.

I thought not only did I not want to loose her but I couldn't do that to my Sampson :mrgreen:

Iv been reading loads on her condition too so I know all about it.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Aw, that's wonderful news, Zara :D

Thanks for the ideas, folks. Though most of the readers will already be lurcher owners, many with much wider experience than me, so either I'd be preaching to the converted, or they would just disagree with what I wrote! I'm thinking about digging out my story of when I had to rescue J from a lake, and I might also try writing about the day a dog phobic friend and her dog phobic son came to visit... she likes jogging, and has learnt to hate the expression 'Don't worry, he's friendly, he just wants to play' even more than your average reactive-dog owner, and of course it is something dog owners should be aware of.

If I produce two or three 'articles', I can pass them all on and let the editor choose...

Hmmm, I wonder if something about raw feeding would go down well? So many people are put off because they think it's going to be complicated.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I like the lake and jogger ideas - as your readers are experienced lurcher owners, that would resonate with them 8)

"He only wants to play" must be the phrase I hear and hate most out dog-walking.

Raw feeding does polarise people, but it would be worth just letting folks know how easy it is.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

raw feeding is weird. most of my coworkers are dog crazy and so is my kennel lady (of course) and they all agree that kibble is gross and awful and soooo unhealthy. but they all put on the brakes when i mention raw. like ooooooookkkay you hate what he eats....... why don't you try something new? :?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Happy Easter everyone :D
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Removed
Last edited by Lotsaquestions on Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:38 am 'omg it's a deer, MERLIN! MERLIN WHATSIS?!' :P
Things you should never say to a lurcher #1 :wink:

I met someone with a poo-eating whippet today who said she'd been thinking about muzzling her dog, but 'Wasn't it cruel?' I felt like replying 'Yes, it is, but I'm a really cruel owner!' :roll: :lol:

I also saw an unusual-looking dog - small, very flat face, black and white and very fluffy - a little like a papillon coat but much fluffier, and the dog was just a bit bigger than that. I thought hard and the best I could come up with was Peke x ?. So I asked the owner and it was in fact a pedigree - she had another the same, as well as a couple of other small dogs. Anyone want to hazard a guess at what it was?
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

JudyN wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:00 pm
Lotsaquestions wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:38 am 'omg it's a deer, MERLIN! MERLIN WHATSIS?!' :P
Things you should never say to a lurcher #1 :wink:

I met someone with a poo-eating whippet today who said she'd been thinking about muzzling her dog, but 'Wasn't it cruel?' I felt like replying 'Yes, it is, but I'm a really cruel owner!' :roll: :lol:

I also saw an unusual-looking dog - small, very flat face, black and white and very fluffy - a little like a papillon coat but much fluffier, and the dog was just a bit bigger than that. I thought hard and the best I could come up with was Peke x ?. So I asked the owner and it was in fact a pedigree - she had another the same, as well as a couple of other small dogs. Anyone want to hazard a guess at what it was?
I would say either a Japanese chin or English toy Spaniel?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

ZaraD wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:19 pmI would say either a Japanese chin or English toy Spaniel?
Well done, it was a Japanese chin :D I'd heard of them, and have probably seen them on Crufts, but don't think I'd ever met one in the flesh before.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

JudyN wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:24 pm
ZaraD wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:19 pmI would say either a Japanese chin or English toy Spaniel?
Well done, it was a Japanese chin :D I'd heard of them, and have probably seen them on Crufts, but don't think I'd ever met one in the flesh before.
In my spare time one of my hobbies is reading dog breed books and three of them lists every single breed , even breeds that are very , very rare :D , I love reading about different breeds and I'm the winkioeda of dog breeds :lol:
gwd

Post by gwd »

Hey Gang. it's been awhile............. was thinking about some of you as I was watching Crufts.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

GWD!! How are you? How are your dogs? :D
gwd

Post by gwd »

Hey Judy girl! Boy dog is 8 now............... sadly he's lost a good deal of hearing because of chronic ear infections but other than that, he's healthy as a horse and is in excellent shape. he's still a Frisbee nut and is intense as ever. Baby girl is 6 and we've got her on Xanax and Prozac. Poor girl just isn't wired right......... but we manage. how's mr. Jasper?