What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

WufWuf

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by WufWuf »

JudyN wrote:Jasper looks a lot brighter now. He's still whining, but now I think he's whining from hunger, not having had any breakfast. I've given him a couple of small portions of minced turkey but don't want to overload his system - his tummy was making some very worrying gurgles just now :shock:
Judy as a human who's had a few anesthetics my tummy is very sensitive afterwards, your whole systems slows down and I know Jas had had some issues with digesting bone, so if it was me I'd be feeding him boneless or low bone which you might already be doing if it's "human" turkey mince rather than bone in mince. Just thought I'd throw it out there in case it helps as poor Jas is such a sensitive lad :wink: .
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Erica wrote:Poor Jasper, hope he heals quickly and is back to his usual self soon!
I agree with the first part of that - not sure I totally go along with the second bit though :lol: :lol: :lol:

WufWuf, the turkey does have bone in, though not much. I think that should be OK - any bone that doesn't digest won't cause a problem. I'll be holding off whole bone until he's fully back to normal though, I don't want a spiky undigested bit causing him any problems.

But you've reminded me I need to find something plainish, probably chicken, for tomorrow. I particularly don't want to risk him with one of the unlabelled packs... :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

WufWuf wrote: It's his age delladoo.

"often decides he's just going to stand and stare at something :roll:" I can't see him doing this (obvs) but it could be fear related behaviour, Honey's fear often displays itself by a refusal to move and what "looks" like staring off in the distance. Often an acknowledgement of the "scary" and an offer to change direction will work for her these days.
I do believe most of the times is fear based, especially when it's at nothing. Sometimes I do suspect it's just because he doesn't want to be out in the wet and cold though :lol: He also does it whenever he spots a dog which is definitely excitement based which in some ways is harder because he is only focused on getting to the dog to say hi and won't listen. He'll take treats if you put them under his nose but he is too focused on the dog to move away whereas I can help him when he's scared.
Erica wrote:Delladoo, Delta's getting to that stage too. He's grown out of puppy confidence and is in adolescent fear-stage, so new things are Very Scary and must be approached cautiously or not at all. Just keep getting him out and used to different situations (keeping it to good experiences is vital, so bring treats everywhere!) and he'll come out of it alright in time. I got Delta a bigger rainjacket recently too. It's nearly too big, but the size smaller was the same size as his old jacket (switched brands as D didn't like the hood) so up a size we went. This one might last til he's full-grown, hopefully.
He does do excellently when I can show him what he's scared of. For instance our local park had a "temporary graffiti wall" which was basically clingfilm wrapped around a fence but as the wind blew it made a scary noise but he was willing to investigate that with some encouragement. I'm not always sure what scared him though because there's nothing there and nothing I can hear. I just can't wait for him to grow out of it :D
I wouldn't mind but the coat isn't that old! He doesn't seem to have grown much but the end of it keeps flicking up and annoys me. I suspect he doesn't like when it does that either because he's a softy :roll:
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Judy,

I am glad that Jasper made it through the anesthesia and surgery. :D
And yes, give him food slowly and give him easily digestible food. As mentioned by someone else, anesthesia even in humans can cause stomach problems. That is why in the hospital patients start with clear liquid diets and move up from there. I know you feed raw, but Sandy likes chicken soup after he has had anesthesia, so just boil some chicken and try adding the broth. It is important that Jasper get fluids and chicken broth is tasty, puts something in the tummy, nd gives needed fluids.

Protein is needed too, to help the wound to heal. So, going to chicken without bones and maybe using the bones to make the soup might help. Start slowly and work up as he begins to regain his pre-anesthesia self.

And of course, lots of cuddling and loving helps. Sandy needed that after his anesthesia for a molar extraction. He became a velcro dog for a while until he became himself again.

Delladoo,
Sandy hates the rain, too. Our neighbors laugh as we stand out in the rain with the umbrella held over Sandy. :lol: :lol:
At least I have a hooded raincoat for me, but OH stands in the rain getting soaked while our spoiled prince is covered with a large umbrella. :lol: :lol:
Therefore, when raining, only outside for potty and no walks. And a high value treat after Sandy comes inside after being in the rain helps. :wink:
That is when we do the indoor play.

Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

DianeLDL wrote:Sandy hates the rain, too. Our neighbors laugh as we stand out in the rain with the umbrella held over Sandy. :lol: :lol:
At least I have a hooded raincoat for me, but OH stands in the rain getting soaked while our spoiled prince is covered with a large umbrella. :lol: :lol:
Therefore, when raining, only outside for potty and no walks. And a high value treat after Sandy comes inside after being in the rain helps. :wink:
That is when we do the indoor play.
Raincoats are the saviour! He doesn't know what to make of umbrellas when I've got one (he's not bothered about other people) he thinks it's a toy :roll: I'm thinking maybe a coat with a hood for him if he'll let me :lol: If not he'll just have to deal with it. Generally we only go out to pee in the rain but seeing as he still won't go in the garden and he's a fussy pee-er we can be out there a while. He gets fed after 3 walks a day so he gets a bit of a jackpot then anyway, at least his weight seems to have stabilised now :mrgreen:
Erica

Post by Erica »

delladooo wrote:Raincoats are the saviour! He doesn't know what to make of umbrellas when I've got one (he's not bothered about other people) he thinks it's a toy :roll: I'm thinking maybe a coat with a hood for him if he'll let me :lol: If not he'll just have to deal with it. Generally we only go out to pee in the rain but seeing as he still won't go in the garden and he's a fussy pee-er we can be out there a while. He gets fed after 3 walks a day so he gets a bit of a jackpot then anyway, at least his weight seems to have stabilised now :mrgreen:
Delta moves too much for an umbrella, hehe. Make sure you can try on the raincoat if you go for one with a hood for Laufey; as I mentioned, Delta didn't like his. He would always try to grab and bite it whenever the coat was on :roll:
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

JudyN wrote:but now I think he's whining from hunger
No such luck :x He's had a decent meal, but it's just given him more energy for whining :roll: It's very hard to stay patient but he does have big bug eyes so I'm sure he's still spaced out by the drugs. Or maybe he has the munchies...

We're making contingency plans for who sleeps where tonight if carries on.... I've had a quick google and someone knew of a whippet who cried for three days after a dental descale :lol:
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Delladoo,

As Jacksdad said about Jack, Sandy is a nudist. Trying to put any clothes on him, all he does is stand there and try to shake them off. So, a raincoat is useless with him. I even bought him a warm jacket with anti rain/snow thwt just goes onnhis back qnd held by strap under the tummy, but he didn't like that either. Even when it is below freezing, Sandy will not wear a jqcket, sweater, or anything. He even tries shaking off his harness. :roll:

At least, he doesnt mind and actually likes the umbrella.

Antother thing, is that Sandy will try to get under and roof overhangs that keeps some rain off, too. Perhaps, you could put a modified gazebo (no floor, just poles to hold up a roof) where he might be more inclined to go. Maybe if it was in the garden where he won't go? :wink:
I have thought of that for us, but we travel so much that I am glad the umbrella works for Sandy.

If Laufey will wear a raincoat, go for it. As Erica mentioned, take him and try them on to make sure it fits properly.

Erica,
Sandy is small enough that I can usually keep up with the umbrella. And if he gets out from under, then he gets rained on and it is his problem. I keep a towel by the door just for that.
Diane
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Speaking of rain coats and things... I was looking at those full body/trouser dog coats that Emmabeth linked to somewhere. Jack is showing some signs of arthritis, and since both dogs go out twice, often three times a day, winter is a constant round of showers, dog towels, and blowdrying fur.

I'm happy to do this, especially since Pixie is young, and isn't as feathery as most Springers, but my parents, who are elderly, look after her full time at the moment. I thought the trouser suit might be particularly useful for Jack, and might help with the arthritis.

But... what about when the dogs need to pee and poop?? As they are wont to do when out on walks? I can't see anything on the suit that allows for this! http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp? ... tAodHSsA1g
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

ScarletSci wrote:But... what about when the dogs need to pee and poop?? As they are wont to do when out on walks? I can't see anything on the suit that allows for this! http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp? ... tAodHSsA1g
I was curious (and needed something to distract me from the constant whining :x ) so had a google and found this: http://www.petplanet.co.uk/category.asp?dept_id=1343 If you look at the photo of the Westie, you can see it is an 'open c****h' design :D
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Erica wrote: Delta moves too much for an umbrella, hehe. Make sure you can try on the raincoat if you go for one with a hood for Laufey; as I mentioned, Delta didn't like his. He would always try to grab and bite it whenever the coat was on :roll:
awww bless him! I'll definitely take him, I didn't with the coat we have now and he doesn't mind it but like I say it's a bit short :lol:
JudyN wrote: We're making contingency plans for who sleeps where tonight if carries on.... I've had a quick google and someone knew of a whippet who cried for three days after a dental descale :lol:
Oh no! I'm so glad Laufey hasn't done that! He had a bit of a groan in the car on the way home but since he's mostly just been velco dog with the odd bit of throwing himself everywhere as his stitches tighten and he can't get comfy.
DianeLDL wrote:out Jack, Sandy is a nudist. Trying to put any clothes on him, all he does is stand there and try to shake them off. So, a raincoat is useless with him. I even bought him a warm jacket with anti rain/snow thwt just goes onnhis back qnd held by strap under the tummy, but he didn't like that either. Even when it is below freezing, Sandy will not wear a jqcket, sweater, or anything. He even tries shaking off his harness. :roll:

At least, he doesnt mind and actually likes the umbrella.

Antother thing, is that Sandy will try to get under and roof overhangs that keeps some rain off, too. Perhaps, you could put a modified gazebo (no floor, just poles to hold up a roof) where he might be more inclined to go. Maybe if it was in the garden where he won't go? :wink:
I have thought of that for us, but we travel so much that I am glad the umbrella works for Sandy.
Diane, have you seen the dog leads with umbrella's built in? I had to laugh when I found them as I thought they were an excellent novelty but can see them scaring most dogs. He's usually good with his jacket (although will occasionally decide he's not wearing it that day and I respect that, he usually does wear it in the rain).
Putting a modified gazebo roof over our whole yard would be a brilliant idea, both for the dog and the rabbits, but it would be pointless at the minute because he still won't use the yard. MiMi does and has no issue going out in the rain, but Laufey still won't hear of it :roll: He is a very fussy pee-er and we seem to have just got into the routine of me walking him for now. We're hoping that we won't be here too much longer (in the grand scheme of things anyway) just waiting until my brother leaves highschool and then hopefully moving and will have a nice garden and try to start again with the peeing in the garden.
ScarletSci wrote:Speaking of rain coats and things... I was looking at those full body/trouser dog coats that Emmabeth linked to somewhere. Jack is showing some signs of arthritis, and since both dogs go out twice, often three times a day, winter is a constant round of showers, dog towels, and blowdrying fur.

I'm happy to do this, especially since Pixie is young, and isn't as feathery as most Springers, but my parents, who are elderly, look after her full time at the moment. I thought the trouser suit might be particularly useful for Jack, and might help with the arthritis.

But... what about when the dogs need to pee and poop?? As they are wont to do when out on walks? I can't see anything on the suit that allows for this! http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp? ... tAodHSsA1g
I was talking to Emmabeth about it a few weeks ago, it could be that? If so it's this tread: https://positively.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20295 I'm not sure how they toilet in it either though :?
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

delladooo wrote:Diane, have you seen the dog leads with umbrella's built in? I had to laugh when I found them as I thought they were an excellent novelty but can see them scaring most dogs. He's usually good with his jacket (although will occasionally decide he's not wearing it that day and I respect that, he usually does wear it in the rain).
Putting a modified gazebo roof over our whole yard would be a brilliant idea, both for the dog and the rabbits, but it would be pointless at the minute because he still won't use the yard. MiMi does and has no issue going out in the rain, but Laufey still won't hear of it :roll: He is a very fussy pee-er and we seem to have just got into the routine of me walking him for now. We're hoping that we won't be here too much longer (in the grand scheme of things anyway) just waiting until my brother leaves highschool and then hopefully moving and will have a nice garden and try to start again with the peeing in the garden.
I also think that Sandy would freak with an umbrella on his lead. :shock:
I think it helps him knowing he can trust us holding it for him. :D

I would also not try to force Laufey to use the garden if he is scared. I remember when Judy wrote about Jasper being scared of the "garden monsters". :mrgreen:

It is funny you say Laufey is a fussy pee-er. Sandy is fussy poop-er. If we are in a park and anyone else is around, he will look for bushes or places to hide for privacy and will even walk way out of the way for a place that is private. OH and I will even try to stand behind him so he feels he has some more privacy, too. :roll: :roll:

Hopefully, when you eventually move, you will be able to start fresh with a new garden. :D

Sandy does okay doing potty on the yard without going on a walk, so putting on a raincoat just to go a few feet in the yard wouldn't make any sense. It reminds me when we lived in snow country and the kids would get bundled up to to play in the snow, then 5 minutes later come back saying they have to go potty and had to remove all the snow clothes. Too much of a pain. :roll:

So, at least for Sandy to potty in the yard, I would rather grab the umbrella than have to try and get a raincoat on him. He might end up peeing in the house since it would take too long espcially if we have to chase him to get it on him. :wink:
Diane
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Judy,

How is Jasper doing now? Was he able to calm down enough to sleep? Are you in his bed or him in yours?

Does he have pain medication? After Sandy's molar extraction, he got the doggie equivalent of Ibuprophen to keep the inflamation down and help with the pain.

And, you mentioned that they wouldn't want you in during the surgery as you were a nervous wreck? Well, the first time, Sandy had anesthesia to descale his teeth, OH called at least 10 times. So much so, that they kniw his voice by now. And, this time when they called to say that they needed permission to remove the molar, OH started screaming about how is Sandy going to eat, and they dont have tooth implants for dogs. If it weren't so serious, I almost laughed at the tooth implant thing. It took me over an hour to calm OH down after that call. :roll:

Now, a questions:
I don't know what to do with Sandy. He has rubbed and scratched his upper chest/lower neck raw (hair is gone) and broke his skin and even drew blood. :shock:
I put some vaseline in it, but it isnt helping. I have some tea tree oil ointment that he got for his paw that I may put on the area. I am sure he won't want to smell it all night, but it may take the itch away and allow for healing.

The only thing I can see is that his dog tags (issued for rabies and city licenses) are rubbing that area and may be causing him to continue scratching. Too bad they dont make different size licenses for smaller dogs. I know someone who uses a harness all the time instead of a collar and puts them on that, but Sandy hates that, too.
So, I will try the tea tree ointment tonight.

How much we worry about them. :D
Diane
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

DianeLDL wrote:
delladooo wrote:Diane, have you seen the dog leads with umbrella's built in? I had to laugh when I found them as I thought they were an excellent novelty but can see them scaring most dogs. He's usually good with his jacket (although will occasionally decide he's not wearing it that day and I respect that, he usually does wear it in the rain).
I also think that Sandy would freak with an umbrella on his lead. :shock:
I think it helps him knowing he can trust us holding it for him. :D

I would also not try to force Laufey to use the garden if he is scared. I remember when Judy wrote about Jasper being scared of the "garden monsters". :mrgreen:

It is funny you say Laufey is a fussy pee-er. Sandy is fussy poop-er. If we are in a park and anyone else is around, he will look for bushes or places to hide for privacy and will even walk way out of the way for a place that is private. OH and I will even try to stand behind him so he feels he has some more privacy, too. :roll: :roll:

Hopefully, when you eventually move, you will be able to start fresh with a new garden. :D

Sandy does okay doing potty on the yard without going on a walk, so putting on a raincoat just to go a few feet in the yard wouldn't make any sense. It reminds me when we lived in snow country and the kids would get bundled up to to play in the snow, then 5 minutes later come back saying they have to go potty and had to remove all the snow clothes. Too much of a pain. :roll:

So, at least for Sandy to potty in the yard, I would rather grab the umbrella than have to try and get a raincoat on him. He might end up peeing in the house since it would take too long espcially if we have to chase him to get it on him. :wink:
Diane
ahahah thankfully we don't get much snow around here so no real need for that experience :lol: He's a fussy poop-er too and will go hide. I do love the image of you following Sandy with an umbrella though; I think it's spoilt dog syndrome and all the best dogs suffer from it :lol: I can also imagine you chasing him around; admittedly I have played this "game" with Laufey before but my defence is firmly that the weather was awful, he conceded in the end and I think privately thanked me for it!

I don't think he's scared of our garden, he just doesn't have a use for it other than to eat hay, and currently eat out there. Originally, it was a case of finding it hard to toilet train him so took to regular walks which did have the desired effect of house training him but also the unfortunate side effect of deciding he has no use for the yard. We've concluded it's not the ground type either as he will go on concrete but not out there :roll: If he were just in the yard there would be no way he'd be in a coat; there's barely enough room to sling a cat, as the saying goes, let alone get that wet.

The stopping on walks seems to also be "mum I want to go check that smell out. Let me go now. Mum, I said now." Usually the smell is cat poop so obviously I'm reluctant to let him go eat it. I can tell the difference though (as proved on our walk earlier) because I can reassure scared, I can't convince him cat poop is not good to eat. I just have to wait him out :roll:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Diane, he's finally quietened down, thank goodness. We'll be heading off for bed in a moment so hopefully he'll settle down OK. He had a pain relief injection when he was under, which could have worn off, but I don't think the pain is the problem - it's a reaction to the drugs he had.

It was because of health & safety that I couldn't be with him - something to do with the gas that is needed for a full anaesthetic. I haven't had a problem with looking at the wound - I don't know why, I don't feel as bad as when I see similar wounds on TV. Maybe I know I have to be strong for my lad :wink: OH is avoiding looking at it though - bless your OH Diane :lol:

Do you know what metal Sandy's tags are made of? Some people can't wear any metal other than gold (unless that's just what they tell their partners :wink: ) so he could be sensitive to the metal. Can you get plastic tags, or rectangular tags that slide onto collars?