What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Erica

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Erica »

Fingers crossed that the meds work well for y'all! And happy one-month birthday to your grandson :D

I'm glad your pups made it easy on you passing those two after the loose dog encounter :) Good pups!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Wow MPb, that really is progress - a dodgy series of situations and you all came through unscathed. I bet you needed a stiff cup of coffee when you got home, though!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Would anyone like to play guess the cross? My friend originally thought she was a husky GSD cross but her vet thinks she could have Australian kelpie in there. Sorry there's not much to go on - her body shape is pretty much what you'd imagine a husky cross to be, I guess.

Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

"Husky" was my first thought before I even read the post, but we would of course need more helpful photos to make a fair judgement.

MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

The new medication is very helpful with Sirius's sound phobias. We didn't have very many days to work out the dosage, so may have given a bit more than really needed. Instructions were 1-3 tablets every 6 hours as needed and start at the lowest dose.

We started out with one tablet which worked well for things that went pop, but not as well for things that went boom. We found that 1 tablet repeated about 5 hours later got us through the evening. Our timing got a bit messed up yesterday though. We gave the first dose at 11 am then went to have lunch with my parents, taking the dogs along, but not thinking to take any medication along. We arrived back at home around 4 and gave a second tablet then.

Rain came into the area around 7:30 and she started getting clingy. We debated the next dose. It had only been 4 hours, and we needed to counteract a barrage of things going boom rather than a few sporadic ones as had been happening the past few days. The 4:00 dose would expire around 10:00, when all of the home displays and much closer would be firing up. I was also uncertain if I could get additional medication into her once the city displays began, plus we were to dose her 1 to 2 hours before the event.

We ended up giving her two tablets at 8:00 and she fell asleep almost immediately and slept for about 30 minutes. When she woke up, she climbed into the bed with us and slept some more. She slept right through the fireworks until 10:00. At that point, she woke up, paced around the room 3 or 4 times and then settled back down. She followed me around as I got ready for bed, and went to her own bed when I went to bed around 11:30.

It was nice that she slept through the fireworks, but the way she fell asleep so quickly after being given the two tablets had us a bit concerned. Fortunately we have time to get the dosing worked out before next Independence Day fireworks.

It was such a different experience from recent years. At one point, I had Sirius lying on my right leg, the cat curled up on my left leg, and Sky curled up at my feet. Definitely a better way to spend the evening, than trying to comfort a pacing, panting, drooling, and trembling dog.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Good feedback and thank you - those of us with noise-sensitive dogs will value it, and even if someone doesn't currently have one, they might well in the future. It's a horrible problem, the more so for people who have a weather system like yours. Our main problems are fireworks and bird scarers. Babydog is scared of thunderstorms too, but better than she has been since on the magnesium supplement (Nupafeed Stressless). However, it didn't help another dog I know of.

JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I've never found a stress-reduction treatment that helps Jasper, despite trying a few. And I'm always wary of what he'd be like when 'coming down' from more medicinal drugs as opposed to natural supplements, given his reactions to sedatives & anaesthetics at the vet. He tends to be OK with storms and fireworks as long as he's allowed to go on the sofa - and interestingly, pulling his bed away from the wall seemed to help with fireworks too, so I wonder if he could sense the vibrations through the wall.

Yesterday, finally. I met my friends' new lurcher (or possibly longdog) Teddy. He's one year old, full of fun, and absolutely scrumptious. The DNA test they had done claimed he was pure saluki/grehound going back three generations, but he's so darn fluffy that's hard to believe. He is the spit of the dog in this blog: https://fluffrick.wordpress.com/tag/saluki/ He was badly shaved when he came into rescue, so we've yet to see how long that coat grows... It's a shame he has the typical sighthound polite but reserved manner with people because I'd have loved to give him a big cuddle :lol:

His BEST THING EVER is playing with other dogs (his recall is excellent for a nearly rescued saluki x but this is where it will fail) but he plays so nicely - he didn't pester Jasper at all when he ignored his overtures. They did have one brief play which Ted initiated with a bit of nose prodding, but though Jasper playbowed in response, he had to show Ted that he was in charge, with paws on the back and raaaring rather than playing chase. He's all 'OK, you wanna play? I'm gonna show you how BIG DOGS play' :twisted: :roll:
Erica

Post by Erica »

I should never be trusted with dates and organization. Just realized that our final KPA workshop is the same weekend as my brother's wedding.

I am also extremely lucky, because the wedding is about an hour away from the workshop location, instead of in another state or something.

Still, this does probably mean Delta will have to be at the wedding, and I don't know how that's gonna go over. Maybe I'll get a pet-friendly air BnB near there, go for an extra day to get Delta happy being left there on his own, and drop him off after the workshop? Gosh this is gonna be a nightmare.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Pet-friendly BNB sounds a good stopgap, better than taking him to the wedding where people may get drunk and loud and in his face.

Shalista

Post by Shalista »

So against my better judgment i was guilted into adopting a baby hamster. set her up today. Bax is... interested.... and a bit anxious... but not losing his mind so i'm hopeful.

Pitch the hamster (clearly named for the color of her soul and not her fur)

Bax saying hello

And now bax is lying down, facing the tank, alert, but not freaking out. So far its a win?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Ahhhhh Bax is sooooooooo cute :D . My sister had a hamster 🐹 when she was younger , lovely animals , I loved watching him after school and could have watched him for hours he was very funny :D . She use to remind me he's her hamster :lol:
Erica

Post by Erica »

Awww, adorable! :O How old is little Pitch? She looks very young!

I hope Bax considers hamsters odd enough to be out of his terrier territory in terms of extermination :P
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Pitch is about 4 weeks old and besides an initial sniff bax doesnt care!!! though she also is in a glass cage with no wheel so her noises are kept to a minimum
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Post by Erica »

Yay Bax. :D Let me know if you want good resources for hamster care; one of my friends is very involved in the small pets scene and knows where the good info is. She is often despairing at the info pet stores and most websites give lol!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Awwww :D I've had hamsters - they're lovely pets, though once I discovered pet rats that was it. I'd love some more, but apart from Jasper, every room seems to have cables that they'd be bound to chew.