What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lotsaquestions

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Removed
Last edited by Lotsaquestions on Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Aw, what fun! I tried bubbles with Jasper but he wasn't interested.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Grumpy Jasper! Bubbles are marvellous!

We tried them with my parents' two dogs. One is a rescue who is scared of his own skin, as expected he ran away from a bubble. The other is a Yorkshire Terrier who thinks life isn't about fun, but instead it is serious business. She frowned at my mum's shenanigans whilst bubbles floated around her. :lol:
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

OH MY GOD BAX HAS A FRIEND NEXT DOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the little jelly roll of an 11 week old corgi puppy and bax finally met!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bax saw him once before and he strained ot meet him but he was a little TO excited and he barked at the jelly roll so i pulled him away. took him out today and the puppy was out AGAIN and he strained to greet but i figured if i was careful....?

so i slowly approached, said hi to the owner, and i kept bax on a close lead so he couldn't swamp the pup. pup (kirby) was very cautious and shy. much shyer than any other puppy ive met. bax was a gentleman. lots of sniffing, not coming over the top but like side sniffs. def would have swamped the poor pup if hed been off leash i think though.

eventually he stopped his sniffing and did soem play bows

then kirby play bowed back

and they did a lil bit of the rearing up and pawing at eachother (kirby is only a lil smaller then bax atm)

then kirby wandered off to pee and poo and i took it as a good first date and left.

some take aways:

1. Bax is doing much better than i thought. he actually ignored kirby at the end in favor of mugging for snuggles from kirbys owner.

2. Babies are fragile! this poor puppy is such a shy lil guy. im used to bax who was just this spitfire of anxiety and fear and passion. this poor lil guy likes to just kind of watch, curious, then poke it with his nose and toddle off. If we meet again im gonna be extra vigilante, im afraid bax might scar the poor thing :cry:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

soooo bax wags his tail stub and play bows for an 11 week old puppy but snarls and lungs at the 100+ lb husky mix. wonderful bax. real charming. cant tell your a terrier at all :roll:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Oh I do SO love terriers! :lol: But seriously, that is 'puppy amnesty' and will change once puppy is adolescent.

I was road-walking yesterday, and a pug pulled its lead out of its owner's hand and ran down the road barking and snarling at us. I stood on its lead and then caught hold of the lead to keep it out of the traffic while it continued to spin and growl and hurl itself at us (obviously I held the lead so it couldn't reach either of us. It wasn't difficult). My dog looked down her long nose and said, "It sounds like a dog.....it smells like a dog....but it looks like a maggot..."

We know some really nice pugs, and I have quite a soft spot for them. But not this one!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Nettle wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:12 am Oh I do SO love terriers! :lol: But seriously, that is 'puppy amnesty' and will change once puppy is adolescent.

I was road-walking yesterday, and a pug pulled its lead out of its owner's hand and ran down the road barking and snarling at us. I stood on its lead and then caught hold of the lead to keep it out of the traffic while it continued to spin and growl and hurl itself at us (obviously I held the lead so it couldn't reach either of us. It wasn't difficult). My dog looked down her long nose and said, "It sounds like a dog.....it smells like a dog....but it looks like a maggot..."

We know some really nice pugs, and I have quite a soft spot for them. But not this one!
Do you think Nettle is is to do with there flat face why some dogs are not fond of pugs, Frenchies ect as Sampson hates all flat faced breeds he pulls in the other direction to avoid them no matter how friendly they are, and I know lotsaquestions mentioned that merlin is a big fan either
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

And of course an 11-week-old pup isn't a threat to Bax, whereas he has to convince the husky that though he looks small, he's really like the Tardis, bigger on the inside.

The other day Jasper really kicked off at a smallish, neutered, middle-aged, slightly limping lab - which caught me completely by surprise as I'd have bet a lot of money on him not reacting to that sort of dog. The owner wasn't happy, and rightly so. Later in the day we met a 16-month-old bouncy entire male spinone with an older, partially-sighted and therefore nervous and reactive spinone, and two young male black labs who had that 'I'm up for it if you are, mate' look about them, and he was rock solid with all of them. I'm guessing there must have been something medically up with the lab, or he was on some form of medication that made him smell 'funny'. But obviously I couldn't ask the owner as it would sound as if I was trying to excuse J's behaviour.

In theory I'm not keen on pugs, along with all other flat-faced breeds but in practice, they're just so darn cute and have a lot of personality!
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

I like im just against the flat face because of the health issues it brings but pugs they have lovely nature's or at least the ones I've met have but Sampson still isn't keen and if one tries to come near him that's it he's off in the other direction and only acts like this with flat faced breeds.

Sampson has had loads of terriers who lunge at him telling him I might be small but I'm mighty :lol: , Sampson just ignored them.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

The pugs I've met have been... special. :lol:

Our neighbour's pug is described, by my neighbour, as 'the weird child who watches all the other children play' because he just has zero doggy ettiquette. He also doesn't know his name, at all. He's had his name since 8 weeks, they've tried positive training... nope. He can definately hear so he's not deaf, just special...

Most other pugs I've met have been fairly aggressive, except for one who again is... Special. She's lovely, really fun, but watching her at training is just hilarious. She wants to do well, which makes her so endearing. Merlin loves her, probably the only pug he's ever liked. :lol:
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

I hope everyone stays safe we have 11inches of snow now here in Staffordshire, Sampson has enjoyed him self , me not so much he's way better at walking in it with out falling over :lol: some areas on our walk were way deeper than I first thought.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

That's 11 inches more than we have down here on the south coast! Mind you, it only takes half a dozen snowflakes for the whole county to grind to a halt...
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

I like it when I shows but not to the point were I can't walk in it and am falling over, although Sampson enjoyed disappearing in the deep parts and sinking in the snow while I struggle to walk :lol:
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Removed
Last edited by Lotsaquestions on Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:47 am Been fairly down about Merlin recently. It seems to be one thing after another with him. I started to focus on all the bad things, and forgot the good. So I made this short vid with some of my fav vids of him on it, because no matter how reactive and sensitive he can be, I can always count on him to be up for some fun!

https://youtu.be/sQIefM8QUV8
Love merlin , merlin you are soooooooo cute now but OMG puppy merlin with the hose was adorable :D I melted :lol: