What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by JudyN »

MPbandmom you put us Brits to shame moaning about our 'high' temperatures :lol: Is there any reason the vet wouldn't do the procedures on Sirius with you there? I've read that it's normal for vets to remove dogs from their owners for basic procedures but wouldn't she have been calmer if you were there? I've been present even when the vet tried to stitch Jasper up under sedation - I only had to leave when she decided he needed a full anaesthetic because of the laws around the drugs.

I'm sure you will know when the time is right to say goodbye to Sky - it sounds as if she's still enjoying life.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Me, Lara and Sampson enjoyed our day out yesterday we met my sister , my baby nephew and there Leonberger and Kera and her Leonberger puppy and we were all walking round trentham gardens, Sampson hated being stuck on a lead but it's vets orders :wink: , Lara was playing with my sister Leo and metastasis leo was trying to join in :) , then this big Newfoundland came waddling over and Lara came straight back to me first both Leo's met the newf but the whole time I was trying to not show that I was gagging ( I have a gag reflex and only two things cause it strong smells like mint and drool :oops: ) I had to walk away as I could not deal with the spaghetti strands of drool.

When the newf left I went back and my sister asked my a question she said "what if newfs and other drooling breeds were the only dogs on earth would you just not have a dog" and I said yes if there were no non drooling breeds then yes there's no way I could own a newf due to drool. Both my sister and Kera could own a drooling breed. What about everyone on here could you own a drooling breed if there were no non drooling breeds?

After a lovely day me , Lara and Sampson went home and enjoyed some time in the doggy pool. Sampson just enjoyed sleeping in the shade , then in the evening we just all chilled and watched TV and at some point all three of us went asleep on the sofa :lol: , my mom came down and woke me and the film I was watching had finished and she said are you going to bed , I said yes I must of fell asleep , Lara and Sampson woke up and followed me and they got in there doggy beds and I got in my bed and we also went to sleep quicker than I think we ever have , trentham gardens must have been more tiring then I thought :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Drool makes me heave as well.

But, you know, the really sad thing is - drooling breeds drool because they have been bred so that the skin of the jaw is too big for the jaw. Look and see the huge unnecessary flaps of skin that droop over the top teeth (the flews)the sagging pockets in the corners of the mouth and the floppy skin around the teeth. Generations of irresponsible breeding for looks has resulted in dogs that can't keep their saliva in their mouths.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

It annoys me Nettle that breeders do this to breeds it's not fair to the dog.

Interesting to know that newfs only drool because of breeders it's a shame as there a breed I love but could never own one because of the drool.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I'm another drool-hater - I'm often trying to pet a friendly Gordon setter or spinone while trying to avoid any contact with the dangly slimy bits. And the thought of having the house redecorated with slobber... I'd rather have an unhousetrained puppy, at least the mess only ends up on the floor.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

I agree, drooly dogs are not for me. If only drooly dogs were available, I would stick to cats. :lol:

Sirius had her dental exam yesterday. The area that I was concerned about was just pigment. She did however have a cracked and infected molar. I had told them to fix whatever they may come across, as I saw no reason to put her through a second trip to fix things later. The tooth has been removed and we have antibiotics and pain meds to give her for a few days.

She obviously wasn't the most cooperative/polite patient They said she had personality and spunk. They gave a packet of goodies to us with a toothbrush and toothpaste and commented while showing it to us that they weren't sure how much use those items would be to us. :lol: They had her back in a room by herself, and had me go back to collect her. She had gone in with a collar, harness, car harness, and muzzle and of course those had all been removed for her procedure. It was a bit of a challenge getting things back on her because they had given a pain injection which they said would have her pretty out of it for about 24 hours. So instead of hopping up when she saw me, she just kept lying there.

She refused supper, but did eat breakfast this morning. She flopped in one spot last night after we got home and was still in the exact same spot this morning. She is still kind of droopy, but has been more mobile today and come upstairs on her own.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

no drool for me to, theres a mastif/lab mix that has huge slobber strings hanging from his mouth regularlay and he liek to put his head in peoples laps =(
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Post by Erica »

We had to say goodbye to Opal on Monday. We drove up to the beach on Saturday, spent time with the family Sunday, and Monday we got up and she was not feeling well. The vet we went to was wonderful, but there wasn't much to be done without putting her through a lot. she had a mass on either her liver or spleen, likely cancer, and at her age and with her hips and everything, and the low amount of time surgery would gain her, we spent a few more hours with her and then said goodbye. The whole family was together with her, so I don't think there's much more we could have asked for.

Delta doesn't seem to have noticed yet as we aren't at home and it's normal for Opal to not be with us when we're staying not at home. He's enjoying the beach, but doesn't seem to adore it like Lola (SIL's cavalier) does.

I may head home tomorrow rather than Saturday after some morning fetch on the beach. This vacation's been a bit of a wash, between sunburn, breaking my phone, losing Opal, and just wanting to get back to my apartment.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I'm so sorry to hear about Opal, Erica. (((Hugs)))
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Hugs from me as well, Erica. It was a wise decision but it's never easy.

I suspect you will find Delta already knows. Dogs are very aware of illness in other dogs long before we even suspect.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

*hugs* :cry: :(
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Post by Erica »

I feel he knew she was ill, for sure. He is so sensitive to that and his behavior had changed towards her recently -- smelling breath and rump almost obsessively (one reason I'd been pushing for a vet visit) -- but I don't know if he knows she's gone.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

I am sorry to hear this news Erica. )))))))))Hugs((((((((((
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

The funniest sight - Jasper trying to work out how to play with a couple of shih tzu/bichon crosses he's smitten by. One was only 6 months old, I'd have happily taken him home with me! He tried throwing paws at them a couple of times but looked as if he knew it wasn't quite right for such small dogs. Meanwhile they bounced backwards and forwards like fluffy pompoms, half wanting to play and half unsure because of his size. I sometimes think that because he so rarely wants to interact with other dogs beyond a polite greeting (or to put them in their place if he thinks they're too cocky), he's lacking in the social skills when he does. But he was definitely in benign Uncle Jasper mode :D

The look on his face when he stood on the tail of the older one and got roundly told off! :lol:

We were going to Dorset Dog Festival today but I think it's going to be too hot. I'm debating whether to go along on my own - there might not be much there because of the heat but maybe that's more reason to go along and support them.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I went to the dog festival on my own. I had a lovely time winning rubbish prizes on tombolas and then donating them to other stalls :lol: I spotted the most stunning dog and has to ask what breed/cross he was - he was a bordoodle, a border collie x poodle, and looked very much like the second pic doen on this site: https://www.k9rl.com/lesser-known-poodle-hybrids/ But he was nicely clipped and looked quite like a young clipped Afghan.

I watched the young handlers competition. All they had to do was lead their dogs into the middle of the ring, get them to sit, then lead them back again. What was interesting was how easy it was to pick out the well-trained handlers. Almost all the children simply trailed the dog behind them, some could get their dogs to sit easily, others leant right over their heads or pushed their bums down, then they trailed their dogs back again, the dog sniffing the grass and focusing on all the other dogs. But a couple walked in with their dogs as a unit, the dog focusing on the owner. Then they asked the dog for a sit with minimal body language, the dog sat, they rewarded the dog and they walked back as a unit. I was really glad they came first and second :D

I did spot the runner-up getting dragged a few feet by his young Rottie a bit later but hey, it happens to the best of us :lol: