What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Nettle »

Well done Ari-RR on your weight loss!

And great news Erica on your apartment - wonderful to have your own territory at last.

MPB, it's good to know that sometimes it goes well - makes up for all those other times dancing the Watusi to avoid other dogs and people.

I love the way you and Jas are so on the same wavelength, JudyN - but oh! The muzzle for cow poo............... :shock:

What a lovely thread for good news today. :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Me and my dog haven't done much today, or much for the last few days, or weeks. I've suddenly realised that Merlin might have... Dare I say it... Grown up!

He's still Mr Playful and enjoys his long morning walks, but in the house he's now happy to relax and chill when I'm busy writing / job hunting. On top of that his dog reactivity is almost entirely gone. In three weeks he only went supersonic at two dogs - One a young girl he adores but he was stuck on a lead due to ducklings. Another a young black lab sprinting after a ball - he was on his lead because he is an absolutely terrible ball theif and I didn't want to spoil their fun... Not sure if he was barking at the dog or the ball on that one. :lol:
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:12 am Me and my dog haven't done much today, or much for the last few days, or weeks. I've suddenly realised that Merlin might have... Dare I say it... Grown up!

He's still Mr Playful and enjoys his long morning walks, but in the house he's now happy to relax and chill when I'm busy writing / job hunting. On top of that his dog reactivity is almost entirely gone. In three weeks he only went supersonic at two dogs - One a young girl he adores but he was stuck on a lead due to ducklings. Another a young black lab sprinting after a ball - he was on his lead because he is an absolutely terrible ball theif and I didn't want to spoil their fun... Not sure if he was barking at the dog or the ball on that one. :lol:
How old is Merlin now? I know when I read about Euraiser I read that most spritz breeds grow up quicker like there wolf ancestor.

Today I went to see my nephew Theo , he's adorable :D , spent the afternoon with Their and my sister sat outside Costa with Lara too. Lara just slept the whole way through my coffee catch up with my sister :wink: , then me and Lara went to see how Sampson is getting on and he's was overjoyed to see me and Lara , he's doing well and I can't wait to bring him home. Then I had a bit of a shock on the way home I popped into pets at home as I ran out of a few things Lara likes that I can get from there that are for dogs with her condition and I saw Kera the friend you may render me talking about a lot on here and she was in there with her partner and she was holding a puppy :shock: , at first I thought it was a GSD puppy and I said "aww you got one then a GSD" " she said no he's not a GSD he's a Leonberger :shock: :shock: double shock , he's gorgeous and adorable and my sister's leo is fantastic and is soooooo mellow but I could never have imagined one with Kera , she was overjoyed of course and has already got a trainer in to help one who is from one of the links I gave her. I wished her good luck and me Lara just came home and have just been chillin in the garden.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Merlin is 16 months old now I think!

Yep. He reacted again. I don't really blame him. Two pugs coming up right behind us, one making these really weird noises. I assumed major breathing issues since it is also incredably hot at first, but I was wrong. We crossed the road. Then one pug darted into the road on an extendy growling and snarling (the best he could given his squishy face) at Merlin. Of course Merlin turned around and went 'u wot mate?'. :lol:

I body blocked Merlin, which calms him instantly, then put him into a sit and watch whilst they wrangled their pug. Merlin behaved perfectly during this. The people shouted something at me, no idea what. Something about 'you can turn around now we've moved on.' I guess they thought I was giving their pug the cold shoulder or something not body blocking barkface. :lol:

But of course, Merlin is Merlin. Perfect execution of 'watch me' whilst a snarly pug was having a pop in the middle of the road. But when the pugs are far away and we continued on, he had to have the last word. :lol: No doubt shouting 'And don't come back!'. Little troublemaker then turned and looked at me with his big old smile like he thought he'd done good and was awaiting his steak. :roll:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I think Merlin was quite justified. I'd have reacted if someone did that to me.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Yes I can totally understand why he reacted. Was being followed by a growly dog with a strange face, who then charged him. I was shocked he didn't react more, but steak tends to have that effect on him. I didn't expect the last word though, cheeky monster. He was bouncing around at the end of his lead like he was having a blast telling them to bog off... When they were already bogging off! :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

If you're going to tell a dog to bog off, the very best time to do it is when they're already bogging off - it makes you look and feel really macho while at the same time guaranteeing your safety!

Can anyone tell me why Monty cat has been yowling for the last half hour? He's got food & water, he's had cuddles, I've mucked out his airing cupboard... Senility could well be a factor.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Exactly, Judy! Sometimes I see Merlin as the scrawny kid behind the tough kid shaking his fists going 'Yeah!'.

My old cat (passed over a year ago at 19) would yowl when he was alone. The older he got the more he wanted to be in your company, and the more insistant he got when he wasn't. Maybe Monty thinks he hasn't had enough cuddles. :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

You could well be right. Though there's only so much time I can spend in the airing cupboard and he doesn't come out very often because of the 'big monster'. Even if all the big monster wants to do is wag his tail and stick his nose in his furry bum... and occasionally sticks out a restraining paw so he can carry on trying to be best friends.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Can this humid, horrid weather go away yet? It is getting really difficult to walk Merlin now I don't have access to a car for wood walks. :( Poor thing is swapping between bored out of his mind and too hot to move... Until it goes dark of course and I'm out at midnight walking a dog with far too much energy. :lol:

Been running with him in the evenings at the moment, though I don't really want to do that long term as I've seen what pavement does to paw pads on my old Lurcher. Thinking about going for gold and training him on the bus (which he is currently awful at) just so we can get to the woods. On busses he flips between stealing peoples items, barking at them, jumping up at me, and generally just being a nuisance.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

I'll be happy when it's cooler too LOQs, Lara has just been lying down in her paddle pool , Sampson is at home now and is staying inside with the air conditioning on, it took forever for me to go to sleep last night it was so warm!

How are you doing LOQs?
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Removed
Last edited by Lotsaquestions on Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Bax has progressed from "wanting to meet new dogs and then not liking them when he gets a sniff" to "actively lowering into a crouch when he sees new dogs and 'stalking' them until they get close and he can take a running leap at them."

Baaaxxxttttteeeeerrrrrrrrr....................... :?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:50 am Trying to just cope with each day as it comes at the moment, feel like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders. Ex is threatening to try and sell the house if I can't buy him out, so that's also a worry. It is in both our names though so I at least have that.

Joined a meetup last week to try and get back out socially. Since I moved to another city with him for 5 years I lost contact with all my old friends, became a bit of a hermit. Only really been going out again since having the crazy dog who forced me to meet new people. Dogs are good for lots of things! I'm bouncing between scoffing choccys as comfort food and trying to make sure I don't get overweight so I can meet someone new. :lol:

I also had my first driving lesson last Thurs! I didn't actually get to drive though, the instructor just talked about his wife for half the time so we're swapping to a diff school. :lol: I know how to adjust the seat and mirrors at least... :roll:
Do you have a mortgage or is it brought out right?

Good luck with your driving lessons I passed tow years ago and it took me four times to pass as I'm a slow learner :lol: , chocolate is my comfort food too, it's way to addictive :wink: :lol: .
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Mortgage, so the buyout would be about £10k.