What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Shalista »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 5:08 am For two days he was like YEAH! ALL DAY HIKES! Then the third day he was like 'Yeah... Pick me up please.' :lol:
tbh thats prolly how id be to after 2 days of hiking........
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Holkham is good - as well as the beach, there's a shady forest area which is good on hot days, and has a few little ponds etc. for cooling off (Jasper thought some of these looked a bit risky, but that means he'd have to step down into what looks to be 6"-deep water but who knows, it could be 6 fathoms? :roll: ). There's also a stately home in the middle of a deer park... which we haven't been to for obvious reasons!

Sandringham is interesting, and you (and Merlin!) can go in the church that the Royal Family go to on Xmas Day. It might be a bit far from where you are though, as it's the other side of Brancaster. Apparently the Queen & Prince Philip sometimes turn up unexpectedly so worshippers can all of a sudden find them shuffling into the next pew along! Can you imagine??!

I like a bit of retail therapy, so we've tended to go to Burnham Market one day of our hols. They have posh shops like Joules, and I can recommend the Hoste Inn if you want to pretend to be a lot posher (and richer :wink: ) than you are - really good food & service.

Apart from one day when we went to Norwich, we never found a pub that wasn't really dog friendly :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
JoanneF

Post by JoanneF »

If you are in an unfamiliar area www.doggiepubs.org.uk Is useful.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

They all sound great, except Sandringham - bit of an athiest republican (the UK kind - not the Trump kind!). Probs give that one a miss! :lol:

Thanks for the link Joanne, will come in handy no doubt!

Lovely sunny day today. Merlin went to the woods early morning to miss the heat, then me and the OH went to see Infinity War (which was ace). Got back and Merlin turned into Mr Cuddles (not with me ofc, he sees me all day so I'm boring... I got the 'teethy smile' then a toy thrown at me with a growl ordering me to play.) :lol
Last edited by Lotsaquestions on Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:07 pm They all sound great, except Sandringham - bit of an athiest republican (the UK kind - not the Trump kind!). Probs give that one a miss! :lol:

Thanks for the link Joanne, will come in handy no doubt!

Lovely sunny day today. Merlin went to the woods early morning to miss the heat, then me and the OH went to see Infinity War (which was ace). Got back and Merlin turned into Mr Cuddles (not with me ofc, he sees me all day so I'm boring... I got the 'teethy smile' then a toy thrown at me with a growl ordering me to play.) :lol:

ImageTwo Boys

ImageBliss
I'm glad you enjoyed infinity war, it is an amazing film :D , love Merlin the cuddle monster :lol: , I bet he's like cuddling a teddy bear.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Handsome boy :wink:

I'm with you all the way on the atheism (and on the fence regarding the monarchy) - but the grounds are lovely to walk in and the church is very shiny sparkly pretty!
Erica

Post by Erica »

I don't think I've posted about it here, but recently our company joined an alliance of force-free trainers in our state! We hope to spread the good word and help support each other with clients we don't have the skillset for or who are out of our area of service. It's shaping up to be very interesting! :D

And at the end of the month I'll be giving a talk about how learning theory is used in dog training, for a college class :shock: Hannah Brannigan gave this talk last year so I'm hoping I can live up to that level of charisma and knowledge! Delta will be there with me, which is always helpful. He makes anyone look like a good trainer, if they're using positive reinforcement. ;) I have a feeling he would not take well to other methods!

We may try for a quick Rally-O title if I can find a trial in the next month or so, lol. Boss wants me to start a Rally-O class at the beginning of summer (and I want to do it!) so I figure I may want something to back up my words if this next tricks class is any indication of the kind of people who will take that one. One fairly skilled pet owner, one of our assistants (trainer-in-training), and three dog trainers from the area. Time to walk the walk! We should have some fun with what we work on.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Sampson enjoyed himself very much yesterday in Blackpool we even met another Giant Schnauzer male and he did not become aggressive like he normally does with males so I was very proud of him, my mom joked maybe Blackpool has a calming effect on him and we should move here :lol: , Lara also enjoyed the park and then in the afternoon we drove down to the front and spent the rest of the day walking along the beach from the south to the north and stopped at a MacDonalds and had dinner, then continued to walk to the end of the north before turning back and doing the long walk again but this time on the front ( I call it the front , we walked on the walkway were the water park is) and then back to our car and drove home, Lara was nervous at first of the sea coming near her while Sampson just jumped straight in , mom played with him while I worked with Lara but there was no need after watching Sampson a few times and she was getting frustrated she could not be with him she decided to just run straight in nearly landing me on my face :lol: and she ran straight to Sampson and they started playing so I quickly took her lead off. She definitely gets her confidence from him and I can see the perks hope of having tow dogs as Sampson is always helping even when he doesn't realise :D

Today were off to Macclesfield as they have a lovely walk , middlewood way and you walk from Macclesfield to bollington , as it's another beautiful day and I use to love walking there as a kid and neither Sampson of Lara has been before.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

so this morning bax was in one of his grass eating moods. i tugged him along on our walk and he got some mouthfuls in. pooped, peed, all right we're done. came home from work today and my entire apartment REEKS. he EXPLODED gooey brown slime and mud flecked with grass all over his puppy pads. it was mucuousy and gooy and nasty as hell. thank GOD he used the pads that would have been a nightmare to get out of the carpet. whos a good boy i guess?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Ew nice, Shalista :lol: I hope it's just the grass eating and he's not ill.
JoanneF

Post by JoanneF »

I am a little unhappy as I was in a shop this morning - the kind that sells all sorts - and they had prong collars.

Horrible.

I have only once been impressed by seeing one used - Timber's trainer has one on her office wall for hanging her jackets.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It's so screwed up, isn't it? :( Can you imagine someone using one on their child?
Erica

Post by Erica »

Judy, have you seen this video? It was going around my FB feed recently but I am friends with some of the people who made it ;) YouTube link
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It'a a relief no one agreed to try the devices on their child, Erica. There were days I'd have been tempted with mine :lol:
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

i think bax is telling me something and it's time i listened. he loves being at the nursing home, schmoozing for treats and affection..... but today as i packed up the car to get ready to go he must have heard the jingle of the keys because he just sat in the middle of the floor and shook. this car anxiety needs to be beat before i can take him to the nursing home again. we're driving to see my mom and its on the way so we're gonna go one last time and then that will be it until hes okay in the car. i'll take okay. i dont need wildly enthusiastic. ill settle for okay. but sitting in the middle of the floor shaking because i picked up my keys is not okay.

I'm crying because i love taking him to the nursing home and he has so much fun when he goes. this isn't just me saying that i know he legitimately adores visiting the residents and getting snuggles and treats and cooed over. but he cant do that if he shakes for the car ride.

I'm okay with us never going again if thats what it takes. if we try all year and bax never likes the car i'm okay with us never going back to the nursing home. I'm just sad because we both loved being there so much.

thoughts/prayers that bax beats this car thing once and for all? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

EDIT: i just wish i could somehow explain to him that if he just suffers through the ride he'd get treats at the end =(