What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Shalista »

so i may have set bax adjuting to my house backa bit, but its been worth it so far. took him home on a visit to the rents. he had his usual anxiety but as soon as he stepped off the car he was back to his old self. he just 100% relaxed for the first time in three weeks. it broke my heart to see how much happier he is here compared to the apartment. i know he'll get there eventually but i think we both needed this break to unwind.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

DS2 is leaving home this weekend (he's only moving two miles down the road though :D ) and this morning Jasper got quite worked up as DS2 and OH loaded up the car, presumably thinking we were going on holiday or something. After they left, he calmed down a bit and jumped onto his bed on top of a wooden chest. But in the process he let out a 'toot' from his rear end which was so scary he had to run off to his bed in the front room.

He came back in here just now and lay in the floor... but a couple more toots sneaked out and he's now moved to my sofa in the hope that the tooty monster won't follow him there. You can't run away from your own bottom, Jasper :lol:

Maybe I should throw him a treat every time he toots, but I can see that going horribly wrong if he should try too hard...

I'm wondering if the Nutriment beef recipe I tried him on last night was a little rich :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

JudyN wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:28 am DS2 is leaving home this weekend (he's only moving two miles down the road though :D ) and this morning Jasper got quite worked up as DS2 and OH loaded up the car, presumably thinking we were going on holiday or something. After they left, he calmed down a bit and jumped onto his bed on top of a wooden chest. But in the process he let out a 'toot' from his rear end which was so scary he had to run off to his bed in the front room.

He came back in here just now and lay in the floor... but a couple more toots sneaked out and he's now moved to my sofa in the hope that the tooty monster won't follow him there. You can't run away from your own bottom, Jasper :lol:

Maybe I should throw him a treat every time he toots, but I can see that going horribly wrong if he should try too hard...

I'm wondering if the Nutriment beef recipe I tried him on last night was a little rich :wink:
:lol: oh Jasper, I remember a few of my clients who feed Nutriment saying the dog was passing more wind :shock: :lol: . I thought Jasper was fed MVM (Mainfold valley Meats)?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It's interesting to hear it's had that effect on other dogs, Zara - thanks :D

I usually get his food from a local company, Nurturing by Nature, but we had a rethink when they changed their packaging from 700g plastic tubs to 500g in plastic wrap. He gets 500g for breakfast and around 100-150g and a carcass for tea, and it's much easier for OH to give him one whole pack for breakfast rather than faffing around with scales while he's still half-asleep, so I've been trying giving him 1/4 tub of Nutriment with his carcass (as it's packed more conveniently for divvying up), reckoning that it'll last for 3 days in the fridge with no problem.

I'll probably go back to Nurturing by Nature mince with his tea, because it's cheaper - particularly if Nutriment gives him wind! He's not a cheap dog to feed. My friend's saluki x, who's not that much smaller, is on 350g a day and if anything looks a bit broad in the beam. Jasper must be on about 800g a day including the carcass and he's the right weight for him. I wish I had his metabolism!
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

im still trying to get bax's food right :? if he gains anymore his harness wont clip. as is theres an indent when i clip the back part of the harness with a roll fore and aft of it :oops: :roll: :wink: :lol:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

JudyN wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:45 am It's interesting to hear it's had that effect on other dogs, Zara - thanks :D

I usually get his food from a local company, Nurturing by Nature, but we had a rethink when they changed their packaging from 700g plastic tubs to 500g in plastic wrap. He gets 500g for breakfast and around 100-150g and a carcass for tea, and it's much easier for OH to give him one whole pack for breakfast rather than faffing around with scales while he's still half-asleep, so I've been trying giving him 1/4 tub of Nutriment with his carcass (as it's packed more conveniently for divvying up), reckoning that it'll last for 3 days in the fridge with no problem.

I'll probably go back to Nurturing by Nature mince with his tea, because it's cheaper - particularly if Nutriment gives him wind! He's not a cheap dog to feed. My friend's saluki x, who's not that much smaller, is on 350g a day and if anything looks a bit broad in the beam. Jasper must be on about 800g a day including the carcass and he's the right weight for him. I wish I had his metabolism!
My employee get all her meaty bones from nurturing by nature and all the meat from MVM :D .

Shalista: I was reading your post on egg that you did a while ago I was going to say that some of my clients who feed raw grind the shell up into like a powder and sprinkle it in the bowl.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Jasper was even more stressed today when DS2's GF's dad and brother came round to help shift some of his heavier possessions in their van, and our old sofa, to his new house, and later when OH took another load of stuff over in the car.

At least, though, this has been his reaction to the fireworks that have been going off all weekend:

Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Jasper is making that bed look far too cosy! Glad he wasn't worried by the fireworks, it was like a warzone here!

We took Merlin to one of his fav parks this weekend, where he likes to go for a swim. Because of the (very mild!) wind the lake had a bit of a tide... If you've ever wondered what a fluffy dog does when it meets a gentle tide then wonder no more. Poor pup, he was like a bit of hairy driftwood. He'd been fetching in the lake for a little bit already, but my partner threw it a bit too far the last time. :lol:

https://youtu.be/Echif0jKTVw
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Lovely video! I assume your partner went in to retrieve Merlin's stick for him? :wink:

Twice in the past few days dogs have invited Jasper to play with them and he's not been interested - he just politely ignored them. Each time, I got chatting to the owners who asked how old he was, and told them he was nearly eight, at which they said to their dogs 'He doesn't want to play with you, he's too old' :shock:

Each time I've looked at him, with the physique of a thoroughbred in its prime (not that I'm biased or anything), and replied, 'He's NOT too old, he's just too grumpy!'

I'm not sure I did him any favours there though :lol:
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Unfortunately the stick made a new life in the middle of the lake :lol:

Nothing wrong with being a grumpy young man Jasper! Best life lesson a dog can learn; not all dogs want to play, and someone has to teach them!
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Took Merlin out to the local park, he had a blast. I've noticed that one of his usual playmates has started to be a bit selective. He's hit adolescence and its really interesting watching him change. He's becoming far more serious, and less interested in playing with dogs. Merlin went the complete opposite and decided every dog needs to be greeted and played with, and I thought this was typical of teenage dogs. I must say I am slightly jealous, since she'll not run into the nightmare that is an over excited dog when he spots another! :lol:

I've noticed a peculiar quirk about Merlin as I watch him interact with people. He doesn't seek out being stroked, even from us most the time, but he also doesn't really mind it and isn't bothered by people touching him. So its an independence thing rather than a worried thing. So what he does to greet familiar people, is run right up to them and then go behind them quite a way sniffing the floor like he's checking out where they've come from, then running back to them wiggling his backside and bouncing around just out of reach. I cannot understand why, and it confuses people to no end as they bend down to greet this dog who is obviously excited to see them and the tease just runs behind them.

I am wondering if anyone elses dogs do a similar thing? My mum thinks he's trying to herd us back together and is checking for stragglers. :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:42 amI am wondering if anyone elses dogs do a similar thing?
Jasper doesn't do the running behind bit, but he can appear to practically headbutt people's hands and then back away as they then try to pet him. Or he can enjoy a neck rub but then flip if he thinks they might hold on to his collar. I think there may be a very subtle (to us) diffence between what some dogs see as 'normal' touch and what they see as a bit inappropriate. Or that could just be Jasper!

He met a cocky young upstart retriever today who he wanted to put in his place. I wasn't too fussed - the retriever had bounced up to him with no manners at all. But later we met up with Alf, a lurcher J had met before, they were happily mooching together, and the retriever appeared again and started playing chase with Alf. Of course, though Alf was happy with this, J still didn't like the retriever's manners and tried to intervene, so he had to go back on lead.
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

JudyN,
JudyN wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:41 pm Each time I've looked at him, with the physique of a thoroughbred in its prime (not that I'm biased or anything), and replied, 'He's NOT too old, he's just too grumpy!'
It’s hard to see them getting older. Hard to believe that both Jasper & Sandy are going to be 8 years old next month. :D

I was carrying Sandy into a hotel during one of our last trips. We went by the breakfast room, and one little boy yelled “what cute puppy!”
Now, it’s must be since Sandy is a small dog as a chihuahua, so I guess next to a dog like Jasper, one would think he is a puppy. But, if I look at his face closely and even though he his sandy colored, I’ve seen a grey whisker on him. :lol:

Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Removed
Last edited by Lotsaquestions on Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Oh I love that video. He actually looks quite calm in it, and I love the way he's puzzling over how it keeps wobbling.

Has anyone any ideas on how to teach Jasper to settle down nicely on my bed or my NEW sofa without trying to dig a hole right through them when I'm not there? If I'm there I can tell him to settle down and he will, but if my back's turned he's likely to try to get the throw off the bed to get to the layer that smells more of us, or turn the sofa into clouds. I don't want to block access, but I don't want ripped muddy sheets or a ruined sofa (did I mention it was new?!) either.

I did shout at him when he was digging on the sofa yesterday, mainly because I was struggling with a complex bit of editing involving Word hyperlinks, bookmarks, styles and so on and getting very annoyed :oops: but I might as well shout at a fly buzzing round a light. Even though he's got a large vocabulary and seems to understand everything else I say, he's never been able to grasp the concept of 'No' - so it's a good job I only feel the need to use it when driven to distraction :lol: