What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by JudyN »

Wow, that's awesome, Erica - clever Delta!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Bax got me GOOD today. we were out walking on our normal walk and we always pass these two pit bulls behind an electric fence, Dixie and Titan. they always bark and run back and forth but ive never felt really threatened by them. well today they had a friend :? Bax and i are on our way back from our walk and dixie and titan start barking and then i see this monstrous white bully on a six foot lead. hes up on his hind legs straining towards us and hes almost as tall as his owner. dixie and titan are going nuts this dog is just straining as hard as he can but i have to get past if i wanna go home so i cross the street and hustle bax along. next thing i hear is "oh no." and this monster rushes across the street and literally knocks bax off his feet. Now bax has a hint of dog aggression on a GOOD day and hes now been yelled at by dixie and titan for several minutes AND knocked over by a very rude hunk of flesh and he lets the white pit bull HAVE IT. full on snarling and lunging and teeth flashing. i dont know if this pit bull is aggressive or not (and no the owner going "he just wants to play" DOESN"T make me any happier) so i dont want to bend down into that fur fest to pull bax out of reach so i start tugging with my leash and trying to block the bully that keeps lunging at bax.... and then bax bit me.

he didn't draw blood but i honestly think it was only because i was wearing jeans. i have a nice bruise some hours later and its very tender and sore.

the lady finally ran up and grabbed the dogs leash. apparently shed switched him over to a long lead and it either wasn't attached to anything or was longer than she thought it was. regardless she let him sprint all the way across their yard, across the street, and charge bax, before she decided to interfere. she apologized profusely, told me 'he just wants to play' and then asked me in the same breath if he'd bit me. i hustled bax out of there as fast as i could.

in hindsight im not sure what i could have done differently? i didn't know if that dog was aggressive or not so bending down to pick bax up would have put my face at this dogs level. not only that but picking bax up would probably have just meant that he would bite my arms or face instead of my leg.

I'm just so sick of dogs that 'just want to play'. I would agree, looking back, yes, i do think your monstrous mongrel DID just want to play. but he has no tact, no social manners, and apparently doesn't understand why a dog one tenth his size wouldn't appreciate getting bowled over head over heels. not every dog is destined to be your dogs BFF and i'm just so sick of people saying "oh he's just playing" as an excuse for their dogs shitty manners.

My dog bit me today and it wasn't my fault, and it wasn't Bax's fault. I'm pissed.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Absolutely not your fault, or Bax's fault, Shalista - it doesn't matter if the other dog really did just want to play, it just shows the harm that can be done when people won't/can't control their dogs :evil: As well as you getting hurt, Bax could have bitten the other dog, and the other dog, regardless of his initial intentions, could have bitten Bax, or injured him because of his size... because someone has no control over their dog who, at best, has very bad manners.

I don't know if standing in front of Bax as the other dog approached and yelling 'GIT!!!' very firmly would have helped... but even if it would, you had no idea how aggressive he was and how he would react.

How's Bax now? The poor lad must have been so scared.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

He's tense :( i feel bad for the lil guy and im giving him a pass on any pottying accidents he may have today because of the stress.

I'm worried now because walking that way is the only way i KNOW doesn't have loose dogs. everyone just lets their dogs wander around here. sure Dixie and Titan bark a lot but at least they're behind an invisible fence. I know they could barrel through it no problem but they tend to steer well clear. now im not so sure. i just don't know where i can walk him now. i dont feel comfortable going past dixie and titan and i KNOW there are off leash dogs everywhere else around here that wander up to say hi (some of them more politely than others)
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

That is rough Shalista. Poor Bax and poor you. :( How close are the invisible fence dogs to your house? Could you make a smaller circle maybe using both sides of the street for a little while to give Bax and yourself time to heal and regain some confidence?

There is a dog reactive aussie up the street a ways. Interestingly at the same house that used to have a dog reactive Chi that would come out and attack my two as we walked past. The yard in only partially fenced. This is also the house where I have seen a husky seemingly living.

I was walking Sirius past the house and noted that the dog was being held by an middle aged child. I hoped said child would continue to hold onto the dog. We were almost past the yard, when the dog came charging at the fence giving Sirius a good yelling at to which Sirius responded back at you. :roll: The dog shouted for a while, and then took off for the back of the yard. :shock: I don't know if Sirius' shouting back caused him to flee, or I this is his usual response. I have seen him running back and forth along the side fence with the dogs that live next door to him before and then likewise taking off into the back yard.

This weekend I was outside with my two while doing some yard work and the children walked the dog past the house. Somehow it managed to go past the house in one direction with no reactions from any of the dogs. Then they walked him back by the house, and that didn't go nearly as well.

I am building more planters for the fence area. These are right up against the fence and will have some annual vines planted in them which will provide visual coverage on the fence, and also attract hummingbirds. There will also be mixed flowers in some of the planters by the fence as well as the planters by the sidewalk.

I bought mixed wildflower seeds last year and was amazed as how tall they grew. They actually turned out to be a good visual block of the sidewalk. I also bought a set of seeds designed to create a multi leveled landscape around a post and used those by my mailbox. That set contained the vines that turned out to attract hummingbirds, which gave me the idea to add a second row of planters right beside the fence to grow the vines in this year.

Otherwise our walks have been going very well and I am getting antsy to do some kayaking with Sky this year as her walks are getting shorter. I would like to try Sirius at kayaking sometime, but don't think I could manage her and inflating, carrying, and launching a kayak at the same time
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Shalista, maybe this was a one-off, and the owner of the white dog was so mortified that she'll hang onto his lead a bit tighter from now on and give you a chance to keep at a distance Bax is comfortable with.

I was walking up the road yesterday past a car with an elderly woman standing by the open boot (trunk in the US). She smiled at me and Jasper and said, 'I won't shut it till you're past in case he's nervous and it makes him jump.' He probably would have been fine but how lovely for someone to be so considerate - as I told her when I thanked her :D
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Following a fraught couple of weeks, I've just had a phone call to say I don't need to go to my hospital appointment this afternoon for the results of a biopsy following a breast scan as it's entirely normal and what they saw is just a cyst :D

Naturally, this, and Jasper's ear infection, had to happen while I was trialling a stress remedy on him (Nupafeed Stress-less) - needless to say, stress levels in the house were pretty high all round! Though I'm pretty sure it's not had any effect on him so am weaning him off now.

But what I really want to do is praise OH to the rafters:

Me: What will you do if I need chemo/major surgery and can't walk Jasper? [Given his nature I couldn't entrust him to anyone else.]
OH: I'd take time off work to look after him.
Me: But though they might be happy for you to take time off to look after me, they'd be less happy about giving you time off to look after a dog.
OH: I'd take it unpaid.
Me: But it could be for a long time...
OH: I'd resign.

No hesitation at all - he'd do whatever was needed to look after the both of us (and, if things went really badly, he'd resign just to look after Jasper).

I think he's a keeper :wink:
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

He Da Man!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

What a splendid chap!

And delighted at your good news, JudyN.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Great news Judy, on both counts! :D
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

We were stopped in our tracks by a cat in the middle of the road today... I don't go along this road on my own as there's quite a few cats down it, but OH had Jasper on a lead and he'd better at hanging on tightly. Kudos and three cheers for the lovely lady who saw us stood still, Jasper's eyes on stalks and preparing to explode, who then scooped up her cat and carried him away :D

Jasper did pretty well, as he did - just - keep himself under control and didn't throw a wobbly, so he got lots of praise and liver cake :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Definitely a liver cake moment! And how good that the cat owner did something sensible too.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
gwd

Post by gwd »

JudyN wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:29 pm Sigh. I thought Jasper was getting better about having his ear drops in but he's regressed. Even letting him lick mayonnaise off the fridge door didn't stop him getting VERY nasty when OH lifted his ear. We ended up having to take him for another walk & wrap his lead round a tree, then I slipped my fingers through his muzzle ( :shock: ) to try to hold his head still for OH to get them in. It wasn't pretty, it wasn't positive, and I'm not sure it was even safe - as it was, I've lost a bit of skin where the muzzle rubbed my fingers as he kicked off. Tomorrow I'm going to wear my motorbike gloves...

Of course, I'm kicking myself for not having got him used to this earlier on... but thinking about it, I have cleaned his ears before, and I think with all the desensitisation in the world, once we started squirting stuff in we'd be back to square one :? I don't think oral or injectable antibiotics are any use for ear infections but if anyone knows otherwise, let me know!
Judy. Consider asking your vet to prescribe osurnia ear meds. ...........you clean the ears, put a tube full in the infected (or two tubes if it's both ears) ear............. and then leave it be for 7 days. On the 7th day, you clean the ears again, put another tube full in and then you leave it alone for 40 days. They don't want you cleaning the ears at all during the treatment process. Given it's far fewer applications of meds, jasper should tolerate it better.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Ooh thanks, gwd, I'll remember that for next time.

I've been desensitising him with the empty bottle of ear drops and he's now happy for me to stick the nozzle in his ear and then rub his ear in exchange for a treat. Next step is to put some olive oil in the bottle and put drops of that in... it could go either way

How are you and your dogs?
gwd

Post by gwd »

https://osurnia.com/

Here is the info on the medication. it's really a godsend for dogs that are fussy about their ears. ..........