What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Nettle »

Erica, that is tremendous :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Jasper tucked into some cow poo today so I removed his muzzle and washed it in a puddle while he happily took the opportunity to find more cow poo now he could eat it more easily. After I'd washed his muzzle I called him over to have his muzzle back on and he ignored me (I didn't want to use a 'proper' recall to put his muzzle back on - that would be cheating :wink: ). So I said to my friend 'I'll have to bribe him,' and before I'd even moved to put my hand in my pocket, he was in front of me, looking at me expectantly. He may be daft, but he's not stupid :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Very cool Erica!

They do know those food related words don't they JudyN? :lol:
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
riksssu

Post by riksssu »

My pit has not been able to walk proper after he got into a fight with a dog out side of my house. But we are planning to go for a walk after i finish my work. I think he is healing well. Recently got some gears from an online shop during the Christmas, so today is the time to show off a little bit.
Erica

Post by Erica »

So I have to confess here that I feed Delta from my plate quite often, if it's dog-safe. And since I'm taking care of Sofi it would be unfair to feed one and not the other...but I've turned Sofi into a begging monster who barks loudly and shrilly. The barking only started a day ago, and I hope it goes away fairly quickly with the immediate and strict no-food-from-my-plate rule plus solid ignoring her when she's barking. I may also start feeding them while I'm eating to reduce her chances to beg. Delta just waits patiently and touches nothing unless I give it to him. I forget that not all dogs are as good as he is :P
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

We had a huge paper bag left over from christmas shopping and i stuffed it with paper towels and turkey. Bax is having a ball. He still wont shred the bag itself but he's sneakily extending his neck inside it as far he can to pull out twists of paper. I've never been so happy to see my room totally trashed <3 he's such a good boy and deserves way more than i can give him right now.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Today Sirius met the vet behaviorist. She wasn't too sure about the vet, but as the vet kept tossing yummy treats her way, after a while she went over to have a sniff.

She received treat bombs every time someone came in or left the room and she thought that was great. She wasn't at thrilled about the herbal calming tablet she was given until it got tucked into a pill pocket.

We have a mild sedative to give her before vet visits. We are testing it out today and as long as it doesn't make her lethargic, we will schedule a second appointment for blood work.

We have the herbal tablets to give her for now and we are to stop giving her the calming tablets we have been using as they contain an ingredient that could clash very badly with the doggy Prozac that she will potentially be receiving based on the blood work results.

She actually stayed pretty calm during the whole visit. She did grumble a bit at the vet tech when the tech opened the door to come back inside the room with our medications and instructions, but the treat bomb quickly distracted her. Of course nobody unfamiliar to her got up close and personal with her. The vet commented several times about how cute Sirius is. :D
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

So proud of the lil guy, a heavy binder fell off my shelf and he barked once and then went right up for a sniff. He's so brave!
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Shalista wrote:So proud of the lil guy, a heavy binder fell off my shelf and he barked once and then went right up for a sniff. He's so brave!
Nice! So good when you can recognize little achievements and be proud/happy... rather than only seeing the big things.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

just realized that i spend more time playing whack-a-mole with the spam bots then reading posts on here these days =(
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Tell me about it, Shalista :evil: I'm finding it harder and harder to justify the time I, along with Erica, spend dealing with it when those who should, and who could tweak the software to stop it getting posted in the first place, don't do anything. It doesn't reflect well on the Positively brand, does it? :roll:
Erica

Post by Erica »

Yep. I think both Judy and I use the New Posts thing to look at all the new posts and ban/delete spammers, so don't feel like you have to report them if it gets tiring - we'll see them all when we check.

Hopefully the board hosts do listen to Judy's suggestions, because then I could have more time to actually answer real posts instead of smacking spam down!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

In just over a month, my brother is getting married (even though after the first one he swore never again :wink: ). Given that Jasper won't be able to come to the ceremony, and wouldn't enjoy the knees-up after, we've considered our options... The current plan is that OH will stay at home, I will travel there (Poole to Cambridge) on the morning of the wedding, stay the night, and return home the next day. I've never left Jasper overnight before...

We had a 'test bedtime' just before Christmas - I went out for the evening with some friends and didn't come home till after bedtime (I had been contemplating having to hang around in a pub on my own but thankfully a friend invited me back for coffee). Jasper was fine - he'd gone through his bedtime routine and didn't stir at all when I came home. But this is a bit more - effectively two whole days and one whole night without me.

Typically, the rail network is planning major engineering works the day of the wedding and as I really don't want to get up at the break of dawn, spend over 5 hours travelling, with multiple changes, and still be late for the wedding, I may well end up taking a taxi the whole way there, at around £200, and then getting the train back the next day :x But I just tell myself some women would spend that much on a new dress, shoes & handbag for their brother's wedding....

Fingers crossed, Jasper (and OH) will be fine. If so, I may go off gallivanting more often :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Your bro better make this one work as you've gone to so much trouble!! :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

So mixed news but mostly positive.
My dad hasn't been able to play with bax and get his energy out while I'm away at work.
The good news is that I've been trusting bax to cross his paws while I'm away on my short days (8 hrs at work max) and I've been leaving him out. he's been doing admirably with no accidents in the house! yay for potty training!
also while he's been out and about he apparently been hopping up on my dads lap and falling asleep. the thought of bax as a lap dog is.... awesome? but not something id ever expect of my lil high energy ratty. I guess somebody is growing up and mellowing out!