What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Shalista »

I made it home safe and sound! I got like 3.5 seconds of happiness when I arrived before he was distracted by a box of chews. But that's 3.5 more seconds of happiness than I got last year! PROGRESS!

Despite what the lady said i really don't think he liked it there. he exploded his coat all over me when we got in the car. I literally had chunks of fur drifting around while i drove.

In other news, he seems to like his souvenir!

Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Jasper's a wounded soldier :( We went on a Southern Lurcher Rescue walk in the New Forest, but about 15 mins in he did a runner into the trees, and reappeared shortly later with a cut/puncture wound on his front foot, in between his pads, so we had to head straight back and come home. It was just as well we'd brought water, as we were able to clean it - and as he needed a wallow in an extremely muddy puddle when he got back from his foray, I'd never have spotted the cut!

He's hobbling, and licking it, so it must be quite sore. It's about a centimetre long and I'm not sure how deep it is, but I'll keep it clean and take him to the vet at the first sign of infection.

I'm glad Bax survived his 'holiday', Shalista :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

Way to go Erica :D

Hope Jasper's on the mend soon Judy!

We are off on our annual road trip to Norway on Tuesday. Will be visiting family and friends, and spend a week at our cabin in the mountains. I'm very interested to see how P copes this year, he did really well last year but he found it quite stressful and needed constant supervision- I hopeful the work we've done this year will help him this time around so we can all have a nice relaxing holiday..
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Have a good holiday, Sanna - and I hope Precious does too!

Jasper's not a happy chappie this morning. He's barely moved, and when he does he's limping heavily. I'm waiting for him to go outside (he'll have to eventually....), then I'll bathe his foot and see how it looks - though I can't see the cut without pulling his pads apart a little and possibly opening the cut more. He does seem to be in more pain than I'd expect from what I saw, but it might open up every time he puts weight on it.

I do have some Metacam, but I don't want to mask the pain and have him make it worse.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Good idea to keep off the painkillers - pain has its purpose in healing too. He'll be right in a few days with your care.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

He's been doing that magic lurcher thing - laying on one sofa, whining 'I'll never be able to walk again,' then I turn my back for a moment and he's on another sofa, still telling me he'll never move again. Then he's in the sunny bit of the floor..... How do they do that? :lol: Absolutely not interested in walks, or playing in the garden, but he did manage an uneven trot after he'd managed three poos in a row - he really does benefit from walkies to keep things moving more easily :wink:
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

The proudest walk I've ever seen is a 12 pound rat terrier carrying the entire sunday newspaper's comic section. It's dirty, it's wet, it's indescribably filthy, and it's poking him in one eye but boy oh boy is he bringing home the bacon today!
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Oh, I hope Jasper is feeling better soon. My daughter's rough collie mix recently cut up two of his paw pads running wildly up and down our paved driveway (my daughter is also my neighbor and we share a driveway). Being a collie, he is not exactly a brave little soldier. :lol: He has milked this for all it's worth, though to be fair, I am sure it was quite painful. But he is all healed now and back to his old (6 month old) self. I hope the same for Jasper.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Jasper's much happier today :D We've had a couple of short lead walks, and he'd have liked to go further. He's barely limping. Still a bit quieter than usual, though.

He doesn't like having his foot bathed. No sign of snarkiness, but I sort of have to trick him into position - he's not going to respond if I stand next to the towel and jug of Hibiscrub and call him, even with a treat :lol: And I can't rely on his good nature for too long so we have to keep it brief :wink:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Shalista wrote:The proudest walk I've ever seen is a 12 pound rat terrier carrying the entire sunday newspaper's comic section. It's dirty, it's wet, it's indescribably filthy, and it's poking him in one eye but boy oh boy is he bringing home the bacon today!

Oh that is lovely!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Erica

Post by Erica »

Shalista that sounds adorable! :lol: And I'm glad Jasper is recovering from such horrific wounds.

Delta scrapes up his paw pads often (to the point where, once it gets cool enough to play more than three tosses of fetch at a time, I'll be putting his boots on), but never tells me. I have to check his pads and sometimes I catch him licking at them. :/ I wish he'd notice and change whatever maneuvers he's doing to scrape them up, but he is not that kind of dog! He'd probably play fetch until he keeled over from heat exhaustion in this weather even.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

speaking of keeling over in the heat I've discovered that bax is definitely not a hot weather kind of dog. it's 94 degrees out (34C) and i took bax out just for a casual sniff on the grass. NOPE. he plumped himself down on the ground in a full side lay panting with his eyes squinted up. I gave him some pets and then tried to call him up and away. NOPE. tried tugging. NOPE. Bax lay there for a few minutes before getting up to sniff something and i quickly ran him inside. moral of the story? if i want a longer walk im gonna have to do it early morning or late evening when the temp dips a bit.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I don't blame him, Shalista! I can't imagine what it's like living with such a range of temperatures. A 'hot' day here is around 24C - get towards the 30s and everyone wilts and is generally useless. And anything below 0C counts as absolutely freezing. Which technically, it is, of course..... :lol:

Given how us Brits like to moan about the weather, it's a good job we don't all live where you are!
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I always think of us as being the far frigid north of america (new york state, far north east) but we actually have a similar climate to..... far south of france? ish?

heat doesn't bother me but everyone in my family has utterly wilted today. Bax included :lol: :lol: given his fur coat i cant say i blame him
Erica

Post by Erica »

94 is pretty warm here too - though Delta still insisted on some active outside play around 3pm today xD try as I might to get him to rest during the hottest part of the day, he just wants to play at that time. So we did 20-30 minutes of 2x2 weave poles, which took the edge off of his energy. He didn't want to stop but I don't think he has very good self-preservation...
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14