What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

delladooo

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by delladooo »

Wow, I've been missing for quite a while! I didn't mean to be. We've stagnated in some ways as I've been pretty ill this year. Since January I've had a persistent cough that is baffling doctors so whist we're still attending our usual training sessions and we've done a few competitions I've not really taught Laufey anything new. Then my recurring knee problem flared up so couldn't walk so we had some interesting "walks" where I hobbled with Laufey trying so very hard and lots of stationary fetch. I am (finally) having the knee investigated as I really don't want it to become a major issue going forward and I've recently bought a bike to start cycling with Laufey. For now, it won't be joring but maybe one day.

In MiMi's world, I have been working with her on and off but any sign of hot weather and it has to go on hold during the afternoons which has decidedly been the best time for us. I work mornings so the first quiet period is out then in evenings we're out anyway pulling out all the moves we can to give her a good walk and let her enjoy herself. I still talk to our behaviourist about her regularly and having another session with her hopefully next week. We're actually starting to have fun together and I'm seeing her much more as who she is than lamenting what she *should* have been.

In other dog-news.... I'm still set on a standard poodle as my next dog (about 4 years away) and speaking to as many people as I can about them. I know all the "big stuff" but it's nice to talk about them really at home as opposed to just seeing them at dog shows. Speaking of, we're off to Blackpool Dog Show again this weekend and this year I plan on being much less overwhelmed-excited-puddle-on-the-floor and much more engaging so I can actually talk to people about them. Last year I was far too distracted my looking at all of the gorgeous dogs to hold an intelligent conversation :oops:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Delladoo, lovely to see you again :D I'm sorry you've been having health problems though :(

For goodness sake, Jasper, it's not hot, you've not even been off lead, and there are ticks crawling around everywhere!! This is not the time for a nice little lie down!

He's been picking up a lot of ticks recently. I had to remove a couple between his back legs the other day, one either side. It took a few goes as they were in folds of skin and he got a bit grumpy about it. I couldn't help imagining him saying 'Gerrof Mum, you had the last pair removed and these are definitely getting bigger' :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

We are expecting very warm weather all this week, today included. I made time to take the girls out to the lake today. I put Dottie on a long line, wrapped around a large boulder so that I would be able to reel her in when Annie was ready to go, and because wildlife authorities recently killed a mountain lion in the area :shock: and Dottie does not need to meet one of those.

Anyway, I think they had a good time. Annie had a bit too much fun (she is super gimpy now), and Dottie would have liked a lot more fun! Annie still swims, but she stays very close to shore and does not do water retrieving anymore.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Thanks Judy :D I don't know where's my issues have come from which is the annoying part - I'm much more active than I have been for years and feel better in myself and yet I'm not doing as well as I think I should be.

Jasper is as adorable as always I see! Him and MiMi would make for a very amusing pair as she likes to just stop on walks too (granted I think she's tired) but there's just no moving them is there :lol:

Fundog, mountain lions :shock: as much as I love wildlife it can most definitely stay in the wild. Stay safe!
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

So proud of bax today. A massive tree branch (really a small tree) came crashing down last night right outside our door. i took him on his walk this morning and he paused for a casual sniff but no barking, growling, stretching forward on tippy toes for a safe sniff. He just casually sniffed it, cocked a leg on it, and walked away. super proud of him!!!!!!!!!! he's come so far! there was a time that dad moving the lawn mower could totally wreck his day....
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I bought Jasper a Seresto flea & tick collar today. I prefer to avoid chemicals, but he seems to be picking up several ticks a day. He's got another two in his groin, tucked right up in folds of skin and he doesn't like me fiddling around up there :shock: I've been stopping before he gets stroppy, but he's started clamping his legs together :lol:

I've taken a couple off his face & neck today, but I'm getting obsessed - this evening I thought I saw on right in the corner of his eye. OH was here to help, so thinking this could be tricky, we put his muzzle on and put some peanut butter on a long teaspoon. I touched the tick wit the tick remover, and it fell off onto my finger... it wasn't even a tick, it was a small bit of leaf :shock: :lol:

Give the collar a couple of days to kick in, and hopefully the ticks will be running away from him, not congregating on him. Or at least, they should drop off before doing any harm.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Heard lots of good things about Seresto! Fingers crossed for you :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

oh my god i just bought one of those today too! :shock:

EDIT: lol one of the pups at training tonight had one to
gwd

Post by gwd »

Just got back from a short 3 mile canyon walk. it's just too hot for the dogs to push any further. Temps in the high 80's and humidity is ~60 percent. Then it was about an hour of removing debris from their coats. <sigh>
ChristyLynn0506

Post by ChristyLynn0506 »

Just got back from taking Jorga, my RR to the vet for her nail trim. She did better than last time! Then we worked on her anxiety of being left alone in an unfamiliar place. Then we went to Tractor Supply where she loves to go! Then came home! Whew! I'm tired. Time for a nap!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Shalista wrote:oh my god i just bought one of those today too! :shock:
Great minds think alike :wink: I hope it kicks in soon, I've removed half a dozen from him in the last couple of days.

We're on holiday in Norfolk - made the journey yesterday. It's something like 250 miles (so a day trip for those of you in the US :wink: ), with an hour's walk after a couple of hours and then lunch at my brother's in Cambridge. Jasper was calmer than he's been on previous trips. He got worked up before we left, and was panting in the car, but no whining or trembling. He was a bit whingy yesterday and this morning, but more settled than he's been before. The cottage has the living area upstairs and bedrooms downstairs, and he was a little confused at bedtime :lol:

He's loving ball chucking again, which he hasn't done since last year as there's nowhere round our way I feel confident of taking his muzzle off and letting him play with balls - and also because it's not good for his joints. But for this week, we're going to indulge him (just in short bursts, after a good warm-up), even if he is a little creaky afterwards.

He's noticeably less ball possessive than last year - we only need to use one ball, rather than throwing one to get him to release the other, and ending the game isn't a problem. Also - get this - I recalled him successfully from a dead seal :D :D :D :D

Off to start a photo thread now...
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I recalled him successfully from a dead seal :D :D :D :D

Off to start a photo thread now...
Photos of dead seals? :lol: :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Blimey Judy - awesome recall from dead seal!!!!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote:Blimey Judy - awesome recall from dead seal!!!!
I think he'd just seen OH get the ball chucker out... :wink:
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Took Jack and Pixie up to the vets on Monday, Jack has some lumps on his chest, which feel like harmless fatty deposits, but had biopsied just in case. He has had a more worrying lump removed from his head before, so better safe than sorry. Jack was an angel about being examined,even when having his joints checking and being felt all over for lumps and to check his arthritis. He's such a good and patient boy.

Pixie usually gets very worried at the vets, it's the thing that scares her most. But she did well too, seemed to realise it wasn't her being seen that day, so she got to hang out in the waiting room and be made a fuss of by the nurses who love her.

I'm settling into my new place, trying to Pixie -proof it for when she comes to live with me! I found some grain-free dog food, more expensive, but she's worth it. It'll be great to be in charge of her diet again. Dad means well, and adores her, but he tends to switch things up and mix different foods to keep it interesting for her, and not all of it is truly the best. I'm looking into switching to raw. It makes me nervous, since I've never raw fed before, and I worry I'd get the balance wrong, but I want to learn for her sake. Grain free will be an improvement while I read up.

Now, I need to construct a sort of, DIY, bodged job fence between the front and back garden. Luckily Pixie isn't an escape artist, and she'll be supervised. I bought the screens and things yesterday, will post some pics in my thread once it's up. It's rained pretty much non-stop for two weeks here though, which is really delaying getting on with the garden! Fingers crossed tomorrow is dry enough that I can erect that fence, then bring Pixie to her new home at last. :D