What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by Fundog »

Well done, MPB! It sounds like you had a positive experience, overall, and made some progress too. :)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Day 9 of being stuck on lead, and the cracks in Jasper's brain are beginning to show.... Generally, he's been brilliant, but he's gone back to having the odd reactive moment when I stand up, and today when the postie rang the doorbell he started barking and tried to tell me (in his own special way :roll: ) not to get up as there was a mad axe murderer at the door :?

He's not really limping as such, but his head is a bit more mobile when walking than normal, and when he stands still he often doesn't put as much weight on that foot as the other one. On the odd occasion he's had a bit of a romp in the garden and ended up on three legs. I've no idea how long his foot will take to heal as I don't think the vet could tell exactly what the damage was - he could just tell what bit hurt.

It's reinforced the importance of not letting people give your dog willy-nilly though. A couple of days ago Jasper spotted one of the treat fairies across the cricket field and I really struggled to keep him under control as he tried to drag me across to him, yowling with frustration. When we finally reached him, Jasper went in headfirst with the muzzle, causing him to shriek in a high voice and grab his crown jewels.... :lol: Not that I found it funny, not at all..... :wink:

Today we saw another good friend across the field, who J has known since he was a pup but who doesn't treat him. He wagged his tail, and was keen to go over to greet her, but walked nicely on lead the whole way and greeted her politely. I'm sure there's those who think I should stop his overexcited greetings, but I have explained to them that it's because they keep treating him and they still do it - often after saying 'all gone' and a few minutes of being pestered. They've trained Jasper very well :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Today we had a tiny human (18 months old and mobile) over to visit. He lives with two working border collies, and he is being taught to be gentle with the dogs and to never grab, pull, or sit on them. Anyway, Annie and Dottie were great. We warned our guests before they came that Dottie is nervous around children so we would need to keep the baby away from her, but Annie actually likes children and is exceptionally gentle with them. So the point of the story is that nothing happened, we let Dottie have her space, the baby's grandma was very watchful to see the baby was not rough when petting Annie, we had a lovely visit, then they all went home, and dogs are not the least bit traumatized.

Oh! And we let the baby give each of the dogs a biscuit out of his hand, which his
grandma says he loves to do, and both girls took it gently- even Dottie! :mrgreen:

Oh, if only all dogs were so well respected when tiny humans visit their homes, and if only all tiny humans were so well supervised around dogs!
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Fundog wrote:So the point of the story is that nothing happened
Yay, a perfect result, and one that most people wouldn't recognise as such :lol:

Jasper ate some poo yesterday morning when out with OH. He doesn't eat dog poo, and as there were some 'used' paper serviettes lying around, OH has a horrible feeling it was human poo :x He (Jasper, not OH) did some evil farts later on in the day, which is unusual for him, and I'm wondering if there's a connection...

He's back off lead now after his foot injury, but we're aiming for calm walks, though it doesn't always work out that way. A couple of days ago he belted across the field to see a couple of friends with their young black labs. He was then perfectly calm while we chatted, until the most humpy dog in the world turned up. Jasper was fine at first when humpy dog played with the labs (J isn't into playing so left them to it), but when humpy dog started frantically mounting both the labs, from either end, he roared at him and ran over to tell him off. It really looked like a case of 'You're not taking liberties like that with MY mates!' (The labs are very easy-going, they weren't bothered in the slightest.)

He did come straight back to me when I called him, and went back to ignoring the others once on lead, but we went on our way then as I didn't want him to be any more annoyed by humpy dog's behaviour.
master2

Post by master2 »

What a morning

Yesterday had to go to the vets with Watson we were playing in the woods with a tennis ball for them both to catch ( I say both but Sherlock does not really try :lol: ) Watson went in this bush as he went in for the ball I hard him yelp me and Sherlock ran to him :evil: I still can't believe what I'm about to tell you he had his foot stuck in one of those old fashioned traps. I nearly fainted in panic I took him straight to the vet I don't know if I did the right thing but I took the trap off but I took it with me as I'm sure these are ileagal :evil: . The vet has patched him up and said he's had qiet a few stitches and hopefully he should be fine as the scan was fine he has not broken anything which he is very lucky.

So Im hoping everything goes OK but I know how you feel JudyN, Watson has been limping.
Sherlock has not left his side and started licking the bandage but I try to stop him. Sherlock was even moving his bed to be closer to watson. In the end I moved it for him as he did not get very far :lol:

Congrats on a great visit Fundog. Both mine love children Watson more than Sherlock but then again Italian spinions do love kids more than a GSD.

Also I went back to the doctors this morning as I had my MRI last week and more test at the hospital my appointment was at 7:30am iv only got back about 20mins ago. My MRI and my escopy both have shown a begin tumor on one of my ovaries but it's not cancer yet as my blood tests are still normal. There booking me in for surgery to have it removed before it turns to cancer. I'm absolutely scared stiff as iv never had surgery before. I don't even no how to feel with what they said as I'm still shocked.

I will keep you all informed on how me and Watson do.
Fudgeandcoco

Post by Fudgeandcoco »

Hi everyone

JudyN- I hope Jasper feels better soon :)
Fundog- I agree with Judy there are not many who would even notice how good your dogs were.

Nettle- I hope your feeling better soon, I was knocked done by a great Dane once and broke my ankle :(

Erica- siblings can be a pain sometimes , me and my brother don't speak much for reasons i d rather not say :wink:

Master2- I'm so sorry and I hope you recover well after your op and I hope Watson gets better soon.

Well me and Fudge are looking for a new groomer, yesterday I left her at the groomers like I normally do but my normal groomer was ill so a new groomer did her , I gave him a photo of how she normally looks afterwards and he said that was fine. When I went to pick her up I nearly screamed as I did not recognise her, all he's done is shave her fur :evil: she looks like a Chinese crested dog :shock: . I refused to pay as he had not done her anywhere near the photo , so I'm waiting for my normal groomer to come back so I can explain why I have not paid and to show her Fudge!

If she still expects me to pay I shall be looking for another groomer. Plus when I was there another lady came in to pick up her shih tzu and he had done the same to her dog and she was refusing to pay as well so at least it's not just me.
Erica

Post by Erica »

If a dog is matted, it's quite common for groomers to shave dogs down even if the owner requests otherwise. People scream but it's what's best for the dog. Especially with poodles, brushing them all the way down to the root of the fur is time consuming and takes more effort than most people realise.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Fudgeandcoco

Post by Fudgeandcoco »

I get your point Erica but Fudge was not matted I brush her twice a day everyday. He had done this to another dog who was only coming in for her nails trimmed!
Erica

Post by Erica »

I'm sitting here, getting slightly spattered with green tripe debris as Delta shakes it around, because if I move he will stop eating. :cry: He just isn't too into meals. Happy to skip one or two if it isn't exactly to his discriminating taste. Oh silly pup!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Ewwww.... that's got to be beyond the call of duty, Erica :lol:
master2

Post by master2 »

I got my letter yesterday for my operation. I go on the 13th may :? :(

Watson is doing better he's trying to run normally but doesn't get why he cant :wink: .
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Ah, poor Watson. Just take it easy and try not to think about your surgery. Both the UK and the U.S. have some of the most gifted surgeons in the world. :) Is it same day or will you stay overnight? Will it be laparoscopic or open abdomen?
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Well my cellulitis seems to be clearing up nicely, though the dermatitis itself shows no signs of leaving. I am currently covered in hives on top of the eczema! I suspect the antibiotic, so I've stopped taking it.

Meanwhile, yesterday we had a nice break from the yucky weather, so I took the girls out for a nice walk. Quite boring, really. :lol:
Erica

Post by Erica »

Fundog, you may want to reconsider stopping the antibiotics early...even if it seems like the infection has cleared up, any lingering bacteria will be the ones most resistant to the medicine. If you don't kill them all, you breed antibiotic resistant bacteria, which is one of the things contributing towards the evolution of superbugs (yes, that's the proper and common term :lol: ). It's a major future threat to the population as more diseases get more resistant to various meds. Here is a short article about them.

Next to phone calls, superbugs are my biggest fear. :P

I had an encounter with resistant pneumonia - the first meds they gave me helped but didn't get all the bacteria as they normally should have done. Felt better for a week and then was sick again. Thankfully, the second kind worked!
master2

Post by master2 »

Hi Fundog

It's open surgery as he said ( the surgeon) that the way the tumor is positioned on my ovarie I have to have that ovarie removed as I risk problems later on in life and he would rather not take that chance. So I panicked at first with my boys but my brother has said he will look after them.

And your right we do have good surgeons mine is really nice , he has explained everything to me.