What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by JudyN »

I used to have hair like that in the 80s :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
master2

Post by master2 »

Was researching more on vitamins and minerals for dogs and when I was researching how important they are it made me realise how I'm lacking in a lot of these :shock: .

I found this link if anyone is interested in some super foods for humans

https://authoritynutrition.com/11-most- ... he-planet/

I only eat about 4 of them blueberries , egg I eat tow every morning, dark chocolate I have greens and black 85%, salmon I eat twice a week so do the dogs :P .
Erica

Post by Erica »

Delta and I are working through an advanced manners class with one of our favorite local trainers. Delta's a bit beyond most of the course work, but I know how to make each thing an appropriate level for him (eg instead of a nose touch, I started teaching a back paw touch...I hope). We're also kind of working as a buffer for a reactive dog - Delta can be happy looking at me even when the dog beside us (10-15 feet away) is firing off a rally of barks. The other dogs in the course are either mildly reactive themselves or tend towards the nervous side of things. There is one young golden retriever who is sweet and securely confident, but also very social and likes to try to go say hello. So being the person with the buffer dog rather than the reactive dog is sort of new to me :lol:

But I'm proud of how Delta is doing. At first, being back in class was very exciting for him, but he's settling down again well and improving in his behavior. Tonight he was about to jump on the instructor but might have even decided not to the split second before I gave him the off cue. :D So proud of my little lamb dog.

Also, I was able to recommend the reactive dog's owner to try a harness (her dog just pulls almost constantly, and I know with Opal, the pressure on her throat only ramped her up more) and it seemed like she was genuinely intrigued by the idea and willing to try it. I hope it works out for her!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Imbat

Post by Imbat »

George & I had another early morning walk down to the beach where we fed my usual street dogs Jess, Codger, stubby, igor & spot. Only Zeus & tommy were missing so they will have to get more food tomorrow :) love it when I can let George off the lead to play with the other dogs but soon the tourists will arrive & that will put an end to that :(
Have a good day :)
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Hahahaha raw food conversations
I go up to the register and i have all this pork (finally adding it as a protein)
the cashier says "Oh for easter?"
I say "No it's for my dog, i feed him raw, he only eats meat."
"Is he a big mastiff?"
"No, he's a thirteen pound rat terrier."
... her eyes were priceless =P

Even small dogs can be mighty meat eating predators!!!!
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Lol, that reminds of the time I picked up some pig feet for my girls, as a treat. Some of my Latino neighbors were in line with me, and asked me how I would be preparing the pig feet. When I explained that I would simply remove them from the package and hand them to my dogs, well.... that began an interesting conversation, lol.

We are actually having some nice weather today! :shock: (It's supposed to be nasty again tomorrow) Mr. Fundog took advantage and took the girls each out for individual walks, which they enjoyed immensely. The other side to that coin is, I get to go for my walk (I have some personal fitness goals to meet too) by myself. I'm not quite sure how I feel about that, actually! :?
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
master2

Post by master2 »

Had a great day out with my boys today they both love rain so we're enjoying them selfs in a mudbath :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It's a dog's life...

Shalista

Post by Shalista »

hahahaha he's cuddling!
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Oddly enough I have a similar being that has gone to ground right under the sofa throw :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Great news on Delta, Jasper looks so cute.

We have joined another challenge through a person I know through the Dog Scout Troop that I am a member of. Last time it was to walk 30 minutes a day for 30 minutes. I did indeed find this challenging as I was accustomed to thinking in terms of miles not minutes and what I considered reasonably good mileage didn't necessarily add up to 30 minutes. The current challenge started on the first day of Spring and is to cover 100 miles by Summer. OH is participating with me, (admittedly with a bit of grumbling). We racked up 11.40 miles the first week which was pretty good considering OH has been having leg pain again and some days just isn't able to go as far as Sky and I would like to go. :(

I may have over done things yesterday and gotten myself a bit dehydrated as I felt off most of the day today and unusually in desire of water to drink. After taking my parents to church, we celebrated my mother's 86th birthday. It sprinkled a bit on my way home from that and feeling a little better with Sky and the challenge urging me to take a walk. we headed out for what I imagined would be a short one loop around the park behind the house.

The rec center was closed for the day, and with the weather being dreary, the park was practically empty. There were a few dogs at the dog park, a couple of people at the basketball court, and we encountered about a total of 3 people walking through the park. After the first loop, we decided to take a second loop. We were about a third of the way along on the second loop when someone set off fireworks; Fireworks, on Easter, in the middle of the day. :evil:

This did not set well with Sirius at all who immediately started pulling with vigor and low slinky posture with a drooped tail along the trail. There were only 3 fireworks set off a crackly one and two pop ones. As we were a ways along and it would be a while before we would get back to a reasonable alternate turning spot, I was hoping that she would see a squirrel and snap out of it and we would be able to complete the second loop. There were squirrels, and cats, but Sirius was focused on getting along towards home and didn't even see them. We opted to cut the walk short once we got to a turning spot and headed home. It was such a sad ending to what started out as such a pleasant walk. :(
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Our next-door-but-one neighbour has sold the younger of her two GSDs. As she said, she really couldn't give her what she needed (she got about half an hour walk a day I reckon) and spent a lot of the day in their garden, howling. By some miracle, she really does seem to have the mythical farm in the country that doesn't exist - people the family know, lots of room, 8-mile walks...

Our mutual neighbour will be delighted, as she once broke into his garden and went for him... he had to defend himself with a hoe :shock:

Both dogs, daughter and mother, used to snark at Jasper but today the mother was fine with Jasper - the daughter used to kick off, and then presumably the mother would back her up.

In other news, as we came through the subway near here today, a man walking the other day commented, 'You do know you're not meant to being horses through here?' Ha ha ha... I suppose it makes a change to 'You could put a saddle on him and ride him' :roll:
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Yesterday Dottie and I had a bit of a break through regarding the parcel delivery truck. I cured her of car chasing as soon as I got her, but she has always had issues with the par service, giving a high pitched bark and lunging like mad whenever it goes by. Even if it doesn't stop on our street, she knows it just went past, and she gets upset. Well yesterday we were walking by the health clinic just as the brown truck was making a stop there. I had an idea to take the girls over to see and smell the truck. Then the delivery man came out and I asked if the girls could meet him, at which he replied by pulling two biscuits out of his shirt pocket to offer them! Dottie was a bit hesitant, taking her time to sniff cautiously, but she took it. Then he got in his truck and drove away, but just as Dottie showed signs of getting worked up, I got her attention, and made her focus on me while I soothed her. So now I have a plan for how to help her get over the parcel service, and I can work on that with her. :)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Great breakthrough, Fundog! :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Excellent breakthrough Fundog!

Sirius has issues with the big brown truck too. Not to mention people in brown uniforms. :wink:
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.